1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone visiting the Mojave Trail and beyond, December the 19th-22nd?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by OnHartung'sRoad, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Dec 13, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad [OP] -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    :bananadance: I get about 4 free days driving by myself and my dog from Los Angeles to Austin, and am looking for a fun route to go. Thinking of starting out heading east on Route 66, hitting the Mojave Trail and viscinity (which I’ve seen alot and will always love) and taking it East, then through Arizona on backroads between the 40 and 10 through New Mexico towards EL Paso and beyond to Austin. Anybody going to be out in any of these areas or have any suggestions? Also, I will have about 4 days on the return trip with my wife and daughter after XMass to drive back together, and we were thinking of areas north of the 40, but also White Sands and Guadalupe Mtns in NM, Sedona and such, among other touristy places. Can’t wait. My rig is finally set up for remote winter camping, and I even got a heater setup for the RTT.

2. Dec 26, 2018 at 6:19 PM
    aaen

aaen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport BBP
    Kings, ARB Summit Bumper, SMittybilt Winch, vagabond Drifter, Prinsu Cabrac, Crusinoffroad slidersand rear bumper
    I just went through it a few days ago. The water crossing is deep. My bull bar is at 49” out of the water and it was lapping iver this. I could barely get traction, truck would lurch forward and up(floating) then sink back down.

There was not much of a bow wave as i didnt have momentum. With aired down tyres i’d say the water was 45” plus deep.

OnHartung'sRoad[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 4, 2019 at 5:40 PM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad [OP] -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    Dang, hope you got that diff breather mod! How much tires and lift do you have and how was the rest of the trip? I ended up skirting a lot of it since 66 was closed east of Cadiz, spent the night out somewhere near Goff’s and then headed east past Flagstaff the next day. Spent more time taking backroads and some offroading through eastern Arizona and into New Mexico after that since I had to make Austin by Saturday night. Then on our retun, most of northern New Mexico got hit with blizzards so we stayed closer to the 10 most of the way back. It was a fun time though.

4. Jan 4, 2019 at 9:04 PM
    aaen

aaen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport BBP
    Kings, ARB Summit Bumper, SMittybilt Winch, vagabond Drifter, Prinsu Cabrac, Crusinoffroad slidersand rear bumper
    Running Kings 2-3', BFG k02's 34" tyres, Breather mods have been done for while, the engine bay ones are up high enough to clear this and as long as you have momentum the bay will not fill up.

Video below, rest of the trail was meh, I have done it a few times so I have my spots I like to see/stop. Soda lake was dry as a bone when I was there over xmas. I run the trail typically in 5-6 hrs, I've explored it enough for me, lots off off shoots/etc. The only thing different about this one is i finally found the steep section with the moguls, I've been trying to find this for awhile, and I knew the area, but I kept missing it. Anyways drove up it no issues. well had a slight spin out, had to back up but then I powered up and through.

https://youtu.be/MeVV6cifvOE

Products Discussed in

To Top