1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone waitin on 3rd Gen just for the updated 4.0

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Layzboy, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Aug 11, 2010 at 12:36 PM
    JoshO

JoshO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baltimore MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab 4x4 TRD Sport (Silver)
    Pop a Lock Bolt Codeable Tailgate Lock, Tyger Tonneau Cover, Stubby Antenna, Led Interior Lights, K&N Series 63 CAI, AVS In-Channel Visors. Upcoming Cat-Back Exahust and Lift kit
    Just bought a 2010 and I expect it to run forever, unless I get stupid with it..... Hmm that is a possibility.

2. Aug 11, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    Rainman998

Rainman998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    "The QC" AZ
    Vehicle:
    SEXY 2010 Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Waiting for my sugar mama to hook it up

I second that!

3. Aug 11, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    It's all about where the torque curve is. The toy 5.7 make peak torque at a much lower rpm than the 3.5 ecoboost making it more usable for the majority of truck owners who rarely see past 3500 rpm.

4. Aug 11, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    OP I have a 3rd gen for sale, no need to wait! jk, anyone even know when they are gonna come out with one? Even if they do, i'd wait 2-3 years before buying so they can figure out all the bugs and problems

5. Aug 11, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    While you are not wrong that Ford is producing some of the most advanced engines on the market right now, this in and of itself isn't a danger to Toyota. What IS a danger to Toyota is that Ford has been very close to them in quality and durability for the past 5 years and is now, for all intents and purposes, even.

Reliability has always been Toyota's trump card. The reason I went with my Toyota Matrix rather than Mazda's much nicer driving 3 (which also had a much better interior) is because I knew the Matrix would never break. 170,000+ miles later, it hasn't had a single mechanical problem, just regular maintenance. I was willing to put up with the lower quality interior and ho-hum driving experience to attain that reliability.

Ford's recent progress in both quality and engine tech has allowed them to offer vehicles that are now close enough to Toyota in reliability that Ford's nicer engines and better interiors could tip the scales in their favor. THAT is what makes their upcoming vehicles dangerous to Toyota, unless Toyota has some of their own tricks up their sleeve.

6. Aug 11, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    In the past 5 years, Ford has made CONSIDERABLE leaps in quality.

Their new Fiesta is miles ahead of the Yaris, highly competitive (I say better than) with the Fit, and should dominate the subcompact segment. Frankly, it deserves to - it's the best car in the class.

The new Mustang 5.0L looks to be a monstrous car for enthusiasts. The V6 Mustang makes over 300hp and gets over 30mpg highway. While it won't get the core Accord and Camry buyers, it has every right to steal away anyone considering an Accord coupe or any sporty mid-sized sedan.

The Fusion deserves to be considered by anyone in Accord/Camry territory. The new Taurus is better than the old Taurus but perhaps a bit bloated.

Their trucks have always been solid, and if the new F-100 really replaces the Ranger as rumored and is a solid contender, Ford's future is looking really bright. It's no wonder their sales and market share have been up lately. They've been doing it honestly - by building a good product.

7. Aug 11, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    coolreed

coolreed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
    Goodyear Wrangler Dura Track Pro Tires, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pedal Commander.
    I got on the Toyota Webpage and I see no changes in the 2011 Taco's. The HP rating and body are the same. Toyota would really have to come up with a winner to beat the current design.

About the only complaint I could give would be more creature comforts you could order if desired.

8. Aug 11, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    That's what I was thinking, but to avoid a shitstorm, I refrained from posting it. But I think Ford will have both technologies, wrapped around the best overall package. The only question in my mind, will be long term, but I will lease my next vehicle, so it doesn't really matter to me. I'm thinking bas model mustang DI engine, with the 6 speed auto. Under stressed trans, and a wicked engine.....

9. Aug 11, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Interesting to read the Kool-Aiders argue when positive points are raised with regards to the ever increasing quality, and mechanical sophistication of recent Fords.
    Did anyone read the recent (MT) long term review of the Ford F150? That is the first vehicle in 18 years of my reading MT to be called "perfection", a truck with no noticeable flaws, nothing. Very impressive. The only apparent advantage Toyota has had over Ford in recent years, is in fact, resale.
    And th Tacoma, of course!

10. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

Anyone denying that Ford's improved massively over the past half-decade is simply denying all the data out there.

If I were looking for a new daily driver right now, the Fiesta would be #1 on my list to check out. I love my current Matrix, but Toyota seriously bloated the model with the recent redesign, adding a lot of weight and no more power. The interior was also not refined one whit from the previous generation. The Ford is the better car, assuming equal reliability (and with Ford's recent home-runs in that dept, there's no reason to think it won't be).

When the Taco is paid off, my eye will be turning to a muscle coupe. It WILL be an American vehicle, because no one else has ever done muscle correctly. The new Camaro is too heavy for its suspension, and GM vehicles fall the fuck apart. The Challenger is the best looking of the current "retro" batch, but it's even heavier than the Camaro and, despite a more powerful mill, nothing falls apart like Chrysler these days.

That leaves the 2011+ Mustang. With a curb weight well below the Camaro and Challenger and the new 5-liter V8 pounding out close to 400 rwhp, it seems like the clear choice. The fact that Ford has been on a quality roll lately is gravy.

Toyota is a good company that makes excellent vehicles. They threw down the gauntlet to the rest of the industry 20 years ago. Some competition went bankrupt, others elevated their game. Ford clearly falls into the latter category.

Edit: Also, I can name a couple flaws in the F-150 for you: The instrument panel is overcrowded and confusing, and the 5.4L V8 really isn't up to the standards of performance you find in GM's 6.2, or Dodge and Toyota's 5.7's. Other than that, it's very hard to fault the F-150. It's obvious why it remains so popular.

11. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    walleyeguy

walleyeguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 DCSB TRD OR Auto MGM
    Well put, I agree. :thumbsup:

12. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Slightly off topic, but my wife and I were pondering (near the end of 5000 miles of towing), when a manufacturer would release an interactive work based touchscreen / tech centre.
    Lo and behold, the revised Ford:

"There's a fresh, new 4-inch LCD driver information system centered in the handsomely updated gauge cluster. Hands-down, it's the best trip computer in the industry across all pickup truck segments, and it's the benchmark by which all others that follow will be measured. It includes features like a fuel-efficiency monitor, pitch and yaw angles while off-roading and a robust set of towing apps that can store names and notes for up to 20 trailers plus provides a hitch checklist to help ensure you've hooked up the trailer properly before you tap the accelerator."
    Source: Pickuptrucks.com

Unbelievable......

13. Aug 11, 2010 at 11:02 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Very well said, FORD had no choice but to increase their quality. After producing shoddy,unreliable, boring vehicles for the last 25 Years people turned their backs on them . Toyota got the jump on FORDS quality from the early 80's to mid 2000. It was a "sink or swim" situation for the once "BIG 3". FORD chose to swim, on their own mind you with no assistance or bailouts. Im really impressed with the level of quality coming from FORD these days, and quality is something anyone who drives a TOYOTA can surely appreciate!

14. Aug 12, 2010 at 5:55 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    The new F-150 is awesome. Period.

However...anyone considering one best drive one and spend some real time in the truck...it is HUGE!

And some here think the forward leaning headrests in the new Tacoma is bad...check out the F-150, OMG. You won't have to worry about a sore neck/back from whiplash from a rear end hit...the head rests will give it to you on a Sunday drive in the country. LOL

Unless you are a big man...6 footer or more...the F-150 is not comfortable.

I bought a new one in May this year...I could not get comfortable in the truck...so I traded it for my Tacoma.

And I've had over a dozen new Ford & Chevy full size trucks in the past 30 years...all were plenty comfortable to me...the new F-150 is as large as the old F-250.

Just a thought I thought I'd pass along.

btw...the new 5.0 Stang is the bees knees...and I wish I could get the small block Ford V8 in a Tacoma. Best small block V8 in the biz (both the 4.6 and the 5.0)...and the exhaust note is all V8...motor music.

Products Discussed in

To Top