1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone Wanna Plasti-Dip Their Whole Truck?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Forster46, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Jan 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid

2. Jan 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    CanisLupus

CanisLupus Member since 2011

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Stokesdale | NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 Honda Civic Hatchback
    It is actually pretty high quality. He brings in a car that was plasti-dipped two years earlier than the video (at least he says so) and it looks great. He then powerwashes it from a foot away and it still holds up excellently. It's actually a pretty good option if you wanted the flat look. (whatever color plasti dip you use differs I guess)

Matt

3. Jan 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    ^lol whats with gif?

TicTacToy99 likes this.
  4. Jan 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    plastidip is tempting to me. much like a candy bar to that young chap

TicTacToy99 likes this.
  5. Sep 25, 2015 at 3:39 AM
    ChemDawg

ChemDawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2005 sr5 4x4
    Is there anyone here that hates plastidip because of a first hand problem they have had..?

6. Sep 25, 2015 at 6:37 AM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    like a hang nail it just keeps peeling if you don't stop pulling.

7. Sep 25, 2015 at 6:57 AM
    Josh828

Josh828 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Avery NC
    Vehicle:
    14 White TRD Off road, Mid travel mountain truck
    FOX 2.5 extended travel, Fox 2.0 rears, LR UCA, XSPX rims, some light bars, and switches
    DONT SPRAY PLASTI DIP IN THE INNER FENDERS! it traps water and moisture inside and will rot your truck super fast!

8. Sep 25, 2015 at 12:48 PM
    ChemDawg

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2005 sr5 4x4
    I'm not having problems.. just wanna know how many haters have real stories an how many haters are just tagAlongs :dancingbacon:

9. Sep 25, 2015 at 1:07 PM
    [kiesster]

[kiesster] Be water, my friend.

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM V6 DCSB 4x4
    I have it on my wheels. It's.... ok. Maintenance can be a bitch if you do any wheeling you will be spraying over rock chips. I think it's better to use as a tester, i.e. see if you like your rims black or your bumper. Once you decide if you like it I'd prep and paint the right way.

10. Sep 25, 2015 at 1:12 PM
    Red Baron

Red Baron Let's call it livabetes, no more die

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Lost on a roundabout
    Vehicle:
    07 Radiant Red DCSB
    Things with metal, dog hair, more metal and lights
    fully agreed, it has held up thru numerous washes with a pressure washer and brush but you get one peel you better cover that shit up or it can start to come off. HOWEVER you can use it as a "primer" for what ever you want to paint and then use any other rattle can or regular paint, don't like it peel it off.

on the other side it feels well kinda cheap and dirty is the best way to call it.

11. Sep 25, 2015 at 3:44 PM
    ChemDawg

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2005 sr5 4x4
    Dont Rock chips damage regular wheel paint as well..?

12. Sep 25, 2015 at 6:24 PM
    Red Baron

Red Baron Let's call it livabetes, no more die

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Lost on a roundabout
    Vehicle:
    07 Radiant Red DCSB
    Things with metal, dog hair, more metal and lights
    Well when you think about it that way...

13. Apr 24, 2021 at 2:58 AM
    TicTacToy99

TicTacToy99 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lea Renee
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma, Standard Cab RWD AT, white/blue-grey int Factory/Stock
    Swapped double sided clamshell crossbody toolbox for 2nd hand canopy- replaced its T-handle locks. Added multifunction multicolor customizable led cab lighting. Replaced OEM tape deck stereo w/removeable face stereo/CD/Bluetooth unit. Replaced front bumper with chrome strip and chrome plastic grill with matte black aftermarkets. Replaced rear chrome step bumper w/steel matte black aftermarket. Replaced OEM headlights, corners, and tail lights w/aftermarkets. Replaced aftermarket headlamps with FREAKIN WHITE leds. Replaced OEM floor mats with aftermarket deepISH dish all-weather ones. Replaced OEM tailgate handle w/one that LOCKS. Windshield cracked, had it replaced. Replaced OEM washer fluid reservoir w/aftermarket-now the sprayer bits don’t wanna work... Added clip-over-OEM style rear view mirror/monitor with rear view parking assist and incident recording front and rear views. Added a suicide knob to steering wheel.
    YESSS!! Me! I want to do this ... and no. I don’t WANNA go away... I LOVE this forum!
    I don’t wanna do black though... Tuesday is white... so I wanna do the glow in the dark, but I’d love to do like the blurple pearl color as the base, then do a pearl white hyper shift temp change through the mid coats and the glow in the dark in the clearcoat layers over the white... I wonder how it would turn out....

14. Apr 24, 2021 at 4:41 AM
    TicTacToy99

TicTacToy99 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lea Renee
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma, Standard Cab RWD AT, white/blue-grey int Factory/Stock
    Swapped double sided clamshell crossbody toolbox for 2nd hand canopy- replaced its T-handle locks. Added multifunction multicolor customizable led cab lighting. Replaced OEM tape deck stereo w/removeable face stereo/CD/Bluetooth unit. Replaced front bumper with chrome strip and chrome plastic grill with matte black aftermarkets. Replaced rear chrome step bumper w/steel matte black aftermarket. Replaced OEM headlights, corners, and tail lights w/aftermarkets. Replaced aftermarket headlamps with FREAKIN WHITE leds. Replaced OEM floor mats with aftermarket deepISH dish all-weather ones. Replaced OEM tailgate handle w/one that LOCKS. Windshield cracked, had it replaced. Replaced OEM washer fluid reservoir w/aftermarket-now the sprayer bits don’t wanna work... Added clip-over-OEM style rear view mirror/monitor with rear view parking assist and incident recording front and rear views. Added a suicide knob to steering wheel.
    Seriously though... here’s everything I know this far... feel free to let me know if I’ve overlooked anything, please! ...

So, I think longevity and efficacy really depends primarily on habits and hobbies... where and when you drive and park... and if you happen to like it a little rough... well, there’s things you can do to protect your protectant ... and play however you like...probably within reason...I.e. :

install a bugflector if you haven’t yet,

put a rubber seal around the edges of your hood and doors and gas door, there’s an adhesive decal meant to protect ur paint from rushing gas attendants scraping the nozzle along the way into and out of the spout.. or not shaking it twice before they put it away.... they come in a ton of styles and colors... you should probably install one where they’re meant to go ... but you could also put one just below the gas door to manage that second issue...and to prevent chemical interaction or corruption.. idk if plastidip is susceptible, but I mean... it’s plastic... and gas....anyway, better safe than sorry...

you could also place these below ur exterior door handles & tailgate/canopy (if you have them) locks so you don’t end up keying ur plastidip (or paint) in prone areas....

If u don’t like the gas spout protector appliqué thingy... there’s also carbon fiber “sticker tape” that comes in varying widths, colors, textures and typically in rolls from several feet to several meters. You can cut out just about any shape you could want... or at least assemble it out of smaller cutouts?.... anyway....

aside from that, depending on ur buildout... and what it is u plastidipped and are worried about..

I haven’t looked specifically for Tacos of any year/trim, so idk 4 sure, but u might be able to find bumper lips (winces...so wrong...) for ur front end- don’t think they work if u just have bully bar/brush guard/wench type set up w/o the bumper, but in that case you could either use carbon fiber tape or even clear protective tape (they make it to put on the sill plate of the cab but I think in comes in widths up to 4”)... I think bumper lips are self adhesive and idk if plastidip will hang onto it if u install after the plastidip... just saying...

for ur rear end they also make adhesive fins for the rear quarter panels/sides of the bumper and additionally, you can find diffusers that attach to the bottom of ur bumper ... I believe they’re intended to reduce drag but a barrier is a barrier... just keep it in mind in the event your foot is a little heavy from time to time or u might end up w/ a flying Taco...

along those lines... they also make similar adhesive appliqués that are fin-like and would work like mud guards...

speaking of... mud guards, fender flares... NOT “EYEBROWS”.... (rolls eyes dramatically...)

All of these things will help
    (lol even eyebrows will help some)

so will rocker panels and steps

so will mud FLAPS....

and if u have ur tailgate dipped, u should look into a rubber cargo mat... they have em for the tailgate specifically.. inside (permanentish) AND outside (temp) for hauling stuff that hangs over/out ur tailgate... and rubber cargo mats/bed mats

All of these things can be found fairly in expensively either on Amazon or EBay ... if not both, the one if not, the other... trust me... Ive been all through both sites almost daily looking at/buying all this stuff... a word to the wise though.. no matter which site ur on, make SURE ur vehicle info is complete in ur profile/in the vehicle checker... and unless u have a lot of time to waste on waiting and return shipping, I HIGHLY recommend sending a message to the seller of any items you’re considering purchasing PRIOR to doing so, giving them ur complete year/make/model/trim deets along with any mods in the vicinity that may bear consequence somehow...I can almost guarantee you they will get back to you in a few hours... if not, then probably still less than 24 hrs. They’re quick, and this way you’re pretty certain you’re getting what will fit YOUR vehicle the first time.... unless you miss ur USPS/FedEx office... but it also ensures that, if for some reason it still doesn’t fit ur rig, eBay will step in if the seller refuses or fails to make it right... which I’ve not had happen. (And I’ve dumped about $3k, maybe 5... into Tuesday over the last 6 months through Amazon and eBay mostly)

Also, on eBay, if you come across something you like... click on it, then leave the listing and do a search for that exact thing... wait a bit... or click into a few more ads for similar items... at least one of the sellers will likely have a) a better price and free shipping and/or b) will send you an offer for somewhere between 5 to 20 % off them item your considering buying... this adds up to substantial savings and also helps prevent regrettable impulse buys...

The last thing I’d add to all that, might be the most important, but it’s something you already know.. I’m guessing... even though it’s plastidipped, from time to time it’s still gunna need washed, just remember it’s not the clear coat and paint you need to consider when going about this....

If you don’t have (or aren’t) an auto detailer then just be sure ur getting the correct car wash and probably best to snag a snow foamer while ur at it and even though one guy who does this for a living was able to power wash one car he said was dipped a couple years prior.... consider that he’s probably not the guy that dipped UR vehicle and the types of vehicles that USUALLY get dipped... do so purely for form...cosmetic reasons and clout... not necessarily for function... which, awesomely... it does anyway.. no effs given...

well.. I’m spent...I hope this somehow helped? lol... if ur still here... WHY? ... j/k... go blink some b4 moving on though seriously...
    Tootles!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Apr 25, 2021 at 12:27 PM
    BarcelonaTom67

BarcelonaTom67 Lost in Translation....

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Laurel County, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red Off-Road DCSB M/T
    I have seen, in person, a pickup truck (not a Toyota) that some guy had the entire truck coated in Line-X bed spray (or maybe another brand, but it was not a Herculiner DIY job). It was fairly obvious by the overall look of the entire truck that it's a shitbox that he mostly uses for serious off roading. It actually didn't look too bad.

Products Discussed in

To Top