1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone with 01-04 tacoma get your frame replaced?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacomaGus, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Oct 21, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    After reading this thread, I stopped by the dealer today to see if I could get in for an inspection. Mine's an 04 and they told me the frame rust recall only applied to 95-00 model years?? Do they only extend it to later years up farther north? I don't get it...
    I will have owned it for a year in Nov, I've heard if you bought it after the buy backs started you have to have owned it for a year to qualify. I guess I'll try another dealer. I'm pretty sure it'll pass, but that 15 year warranty couldn't hurt me any.

2. Oct 22, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    Ken Beall

Ken Beall New Member

Member:
    Frankfort, KY
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4
    From what I could find, Toyota had a different frame supplier for the 95 to 00 period, so thats why they were doing the 150% KBB buyback....they didn't have any aftermarket frames to swap with. They started seeing more issues in 01 to 04 as well and they had replacement frames available for these model years, so thats why they said they would only do the frame replacement with no buybacks for these model years. Mine is an '01 with 70K miles, so I was somewhat surprised they would go for the frame replacement and associated costs to cover that...seemed like the buyback would be cheaper in the long run. With the 150% buyback, people were going to junkyards and buying up junkers and trying to get 150% back for them, which is why you have to be the owner of record for a year or so.

Its up to the dealer to do the inspection and then Toyota corporate to agree/disagree. The dealer may run your VIN to see if the frame is in the frame production suspect range. In some cases, there may be rust that passes the punch test, in which case Toyota may forego the frame swap and may try to go with some coating treatment to prevent further corrosion. It may also depend in which environment you live...Toyota is now reporting that they having some cases of Tundras with rust/corrosion around the spare tire hanger as well....The frame swap worked for me since you get basically a new underside..frame, crossmembers, fuel/brake lines and about 1400 pcs of stuff...took a couple of days to do once they got the parts and I got a free rental while the work was being done.

3. Oct 22, 2009 at 4:53 PM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Ok I got the full story... hadn't read that letter but customer relations basically told me the same thing today. My inspection is scheduled for tomorrow. I have to get it inspected and then call customer relations with the results. I don't think mine will fail, but I figure it probably will by the time 15 years is up. Does anyone know if the 15 years is from manufacture date or inspection date? Mine seems worst around the leaf springs, which is the most common spot from what I've heard. Anyway, I'll keep you posted on what happens. Keep your fingers crossed for my Taco!

4. Nov 4, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Sorry for lond response time... All our leaves decided to fall in about an hour and I've been swamped with leaves. Anyway, No new frame for me. I didn't expect one, but it can't hurt to try. The 15 years is from the day the first owner took posession, so I've got about 10 left. They did wash it for me, which is a plus. Saved me 3 bucks.

5. Nov 5, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I know you've already got your answer, but thought I'd just post my frame replacement experience. It took 16 days from the day I brought it in to the day I picked it up. The actual inspection only took about 30 minutes, my frame was in pretty bad shape since my truck had spent its life in NH and MA. The dealer did a pretty good job, except they almost lost my old Alcans they took off despite me asking 3 different front desk people to make a note to keep them on. The mechanic was never told by anybody to do it, so he had them in a scrap pile and was surprised when I asked him where they were. I'm keeping the new factory springs on, the Alcans are 5 years old so they're still good, but I think I'm going to lift it eventually and will probably buy a set from Wheelers Offroad. I got a free rental (an xB, don't buy one) and new brake fluid, new brake lines, new trans and diff oil, and new lower control arms. All in all I'm satisfied and glad I did it, as I'll probably have this truck until it dies or I do.

6. Dec 1, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    SuperSnoop

SuperSnoop Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma Bare Bones
    I'm headed in for a frame inspection tomorrow... I've got pretty extensive rust allover my frame from 5 salty winters here in Vermont. Knowing my luck, I don't expect to get a new frame. But I really want to know the details of Toyota's "Rust-Proofing" treatment they now offer as a "solution". Anyone have this done yet?
    What irks me is if my only recourse is this band-aid approach, I'll have no recourse a few years down the road.
    Not to mention the condition of all the accessory items that are mounted to the rusty frame that seem to have accelerated rust.
    :confused:

7. Dec 1, 2009 at 3:51 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Supersnoop,

PLEASE do not get caugt up in this "NEW DRAMA" here on the forum with this recall....

Go to your dealer with an open mind BUT to protect what is yours.....The inspection is "on them $$"...If you have a bad frame it SHOULD be replaced ( mine was;) ) if it needs the "Treatment" , it again SHOULD be done ( 3 friends were)..... BOTH get the extended frame warranty....

Good luck and if need be you can always "Jump" the river and I'll give you my dealer and service managers #....

S

8. Dec 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    SuperSnoop

SuperSnoop Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma Bare Bones
    Thank you for your sage advice Snoope. I greatly appreciate any insight I can gain before going in tomorrow. I love my truck more than any vehicle I've owned previously and I really want to run this rig off her axles, hopefully a long time from now :)...
    And by the way, my truck is named SuperSnoop and I am not trying to hijack you :p.
    Much appreciated fellow Yankee!

9. Dec 1, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    tacomarustingaway

tacomarustingaway Well-Known Member

Member:
    A picture of a frame that has actually been replaced would be nice. You'd think with all these "satisfied" rotten frame Toyota customers, there would be at least one photo of an 01-04 replacement frame?? Maybe a before and after?

10. Dec 1, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    what dealer you going to?? I've seen the setup Heritage has run, both the buy back (their back lot up by their body shop was jammed packed) & frame swap. I work near there so get a good view. :) Good luck ss.

11. Dec 1, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    SuperSnoop

SuperSnoop Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma Bare Bones
    I'm going to Courtesy in Berlin/Montpelier where I originally purchased it. I have heard that Heritage has quite the system for frame swaps. Actually profitable for them, they do the job in about half the time Toyota Corp. pays them for each unit.

12. Dec 1, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    tacoma rustingaway,

click on the camera icon in my signature..you will be amazed or READ all the stickies this forum has on extended warranty for this subject OR check ALL 5 Of the TOYOTA forums.... you will find this covered in GREAT DETAIL.....
    Check out the photo for the right front..look closely...see the NEW FRAME sticker or the view from under the radiator...green sticker saying where not to put the fork lift while handling frame....If that was all you needed,dam just ask..I can back up what I say......

S

13. Dec 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    That figures it must pay for all those tv commercials
    ...Courtesy is where I bought my 06.
    Keep us posted on how you make out!

14. Dec 1, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Super snoop , .

If you end up with the re-frame,
    Ask the service writer to keep you in the "loop"...mine did,I went in and watched the bed come off the old and again when my cab went on the new....Dube has the same set-up..dedicated bays and techs......

If you go to the "FRAME STICKY" you can read the WHOLE STORY;):D:D...

S:cool:

15. Dec 1, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    bobalu

bobalu Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner
    I had the frame replacement done this past summer. All turned out well in the end. My truck was in for 5 days for the actual frame replacement work. It took me 10 weeks before that to actually get the frame (including the initial inspection and the official response from Toyota to authorize it). That was a dealership screw-up, and I changed to another dealership to avoid problems, having to deal with toyota Canada to do it. What a nightmare. Having a good dealer is absolutely critical to this whole process going smoothly. Check them out carefully and don't be afraid to drive a few miles to go to a reputable, competent dealership for the work.

16. Dec 1, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    SuperSnoop

SuperSnoop Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma Bare Bones
    I am quite familiar with the rear half of a frame change-out. A couple months ago, a 12 inch Maple ran into the back corner of my bed :eek:... Found a used bed on Craigslist for $500 and swapped it out. At that time I got a good view of at least the rear half of my frame. I was doing some rust prevention to the new bed I got and applied some of the POR-15 I had to the gas tank seams and the last bits of the brake lines where the jacket stops before the flare fittings... The condition of the lines was scarey, slapped some POR-15 on them too. The rear brake "diverter" there was in piss poor condition, looked like a piece of rusty coral. Am I confused in thinking that the frames rust has some effect on components like this due to their close proximity to the frame's rust-fest???

17. Dec 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    SuperSnoop

SuperSnoop Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma Bare Bones
    Well bobalu or Snoope, do you know if I can go to another dealer after I have already gone to one and was rejected for replacement and only offered rust-treatment??? This is part of my apprehension in going in tomorrow without much understanding of other people's experience in the situation similar to mine...

18. Dec 1, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    tmt411

tmt411 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 4X4 TRD
    K&N Filter system
    It was the best day, They sanded and repainted they entire frame and gave me a new Tundra to cruise around in for the day.

19. Dec 2, 2009 at 3:59 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    That's the great thing about toyota's frame replacement, they replace the brake lines and parking brake cable as well as the front lower control arms. I don't know if it's part of the service but the dealer also replaced my diff oil in front and rear diffs.

20. Dec 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM
    SuperSnoop

SuperSnoop Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma Bare Bones
    Back from the dealer. My truck passed the test, no new frame... Scheduled for the rust treatment in a couple weeks. The warranty on the frame is still out to 15 years from sale date, so I'm not out in the cold. And for all you wondering if Toyota has a "Special Hammer" for the test, I saw it myself... Nothing like Maxwell's Silver Hammer, or even Thor's... More exactly it was a Stanley framer's hammer :p.
    All in all, I'm still glad I've got a Toyota, and that they're standing behind them.

Products Discussed in

To Top