1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone work at Verizon (mobile services)?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jedirye, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Nov 8, 2020 at 9:10 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    I was just trying to get some advice. I live in an area of Florida where the only solid service is Verizon. Spectrum recently came out with mobile service that is comparable because they share the sane cell towers, at a much cheaper price.

I have one of those old school Verizon plans where its like 900 minutes, unlimited text and data. And it's the unlimited that is never throttled down. People back in the day were able to sell these accounts because they were kind of sought after...

I'm hesitant to leave because I'd never get it back.... but Spectrum is SO much cheaper for unlimited everything. After reviewing my data usage, it varies anywhere from 5 gigs to about 20 gigs. I do not have mobile hotspot... as that cost extra bit I'd imagine I could then have unlimited data on my PC as well.

So I'm just spitballing ideas. Not sure,, maybe a Verizon employee could weigh in on whether it's worth it anymore, etc. Or really anyone's opinion I guess. I've been trying to be more financially prudent and this is somethimg I've needed to address.

Thanks for your time.

2. Nov 9, 2020 at 8:48 PM
    ktbell444

ktbell444 One who throws exceptions

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    ᚺᛖᛚᚺᛖᛁᛗ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro - Army Green
    I'm still on Verizon's old unlimited data plan as well. Of course, it comes with a $140 monthly price for just one line. And I'm not even paying for my phone, I buy them outright every time.

But, to weigh in on your questions:

Hotspot is not the unlimited you're imagining with new plans. I believe Verizon allows 20Gb/mo hotspot at 4G speeds. After that is exceeded it will drop down to 3G speeds. A lot of other companies do similar actions. By you having Verizon's old unlimited data, I don't believe they throttle hotspot after a certain amount of data. You just gotta pay the extra $15/mo to unlock the ability to use hotspot.

I'm planning on keeping my unlimited data. I often go over 100Gb a month. If you don't need to prevent getting throttled from time to time (during high traffic) then drop your current one and go with a cheaper plan.

3. Nov 10, 2020 at 2:11 PM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Regarding hot spot, I was referring adding hotspot to my current old unlimited/ unthrottled plan for that very reason: unthrottled. Then again, that would add how much more a month?? However, I pay a similar amount ($125, I get a small discount) but Spectrum Mobile is $45 OTD unlimited everything.

Just not sure it's worth it. Glad I'm not the only one wrestling with the idea...

What do you do where you use 100gigs?!? Do I want to know?

4. Nov 10, 2020 at 2:14 PM
    6 gearT444E

6 gearT444E Certified Electron Pusher

Member:
    Deep South
    Herculiner Hootus
    Not sure where you’re getting these prices but I have Verizon unlimited and it’s around $50 a month and my company reimburses. Most of the time I have a wifi network to use so don’t think I really use much data anyhow.

5. Nov 11, 2020 at 1:57 AM
    ktbell444

ktbell444 One who throws exceptions

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    ᚺᛖᛚᚺᛖᛁᛗ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro - Army Green
    With hotspot, you can get around Verizon's blocks by getting an "unlocked" phone. I use the term lightly because all of Verizon's phones are supposed to be unlocked, but Verizon tweaks the OS to restrict certain functions.
    Samsung, for example, offers an unlocked option. Doesn't come with carrier bloatware and all features work, including hotspot.

When I moved to a new area, I didn't want to pay for internet and TV. So I used hotspot to stream Netflix 4k from my smart TV. I got over 300Gb a few times as well.

6. Dec 1, 2020 at 10:28 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Well, I think with my next billing cycle I'm making the change. It's time to give up this luxurious plan. I think I have like 30 days to at least "try" Spectrum and Verizon will still take me back. It's worth a shot. My bill is just out of control.

Thanks!

7. Dec 1, 2020 at 10:29 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    We're talking about the old school plan where you have unlimited data and it's NOT throttled down AT ALL. Although... I feel like they've been throttling mine down. I wish I could check that. Oh well, ditching them anyway.

6 gearT444E[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 7, 2021 at 7:14 PM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Been looking through my old posts and saw this.

October 2021 Update: I should have gone with Spectrum Mobile sooner and saved more money.

Peace out!

Products Discussed in

To Top