1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anything welding

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by EL TACOROJO, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Jan 1, 2019 at 1:06 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Not all welders are created equal !! Some will flat out refuse to weld on vehicles

Just What temperature do you consider a safe temperature ?

If your rotors are getting red hot in braking your in deep cacky

Cast steel I gotta go with pre and post heat treating .

Also any cracks should be repaired before adding gussets .

It is one thing welding on your own vehicles quite another when someone is paying you

2. Jan 1, 2019 at 1:18 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Red hot is worse case scenario. I used that as an example. The berring survive in that situation.

True, some will not weld on a vehicle.

The spindles are not cast. They are more closely the hardness of forged iron. They do, and are supposed to bend before more expensive parts bend.

Since we are talking 1st Gen trucks, my opinion is gussets are lot more work than they are worth. It's not an "extra hour" to disassemble those spindles. It's more like a full day. It will be a minimum $300 to have new berrings pressed in. Most people don't have a 50 ton press to do the work.

The gussets look cool, but if you are planning on routinly jump your truck, then you must have a surplus of money. I think money could be spent other places with much less hassle.

la0d0g likes this.
  3. Jan 1, 2019 at 1:37 AM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    I have to agree if your driving your truck that hard time for a Solid Axle swap

As the gussets make the steering knuckle stronger now what is the next link that has become the one to fail??

What gets confusing is calling the steering knuckle the spindle

If that is a forging welding can be even more finicky .

Knowing just what the material is makes it much easier to know what procedures to use.

4. Jan 1, 2019 at 7:00 AM
    stairgod

stairgod NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Jo n
    PA/NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Trail Limo
    Locked Boosted 35s
    Certainly just stitch welding the knuckle will ensure no hydrogen inclusion.....

I understand the extra work and expense involved in doing it properly. I always figure do it right or not at all. If it costs to much to do it right, then don't do it.
    Funny thing about adding reinforcements like gussets is that if the gusset is actually needed, it will need to be welded properly to not fail.

Wyoming09 likes this.
  5. Jan 1, 2019 at 8:45 AM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    I welded my spindle gussets without preheating or removing the bearings several years ago. I've been beating on my truck since then with no issues.

I had previously bent a spindle, and probably would have bent a few more without the gussets.

deeezy, jubei and koditten like this.
  6. Jan 1, 2019 at 9:32 AM
    Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dcsb 4x4
    Wrecked!
    Buy a used set, weld them up , install new bearings, when your bearings go or you bend one swap it out. Used spindles can be found cheap. And then you can take your time building

7. Jan 2, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    mjbtaco

mjbtaco low and slow

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    Turbo'd 95.5 extra cab and 2013 Silver DCSB TRD Sport
    PERFORMANCE Custom Turbo Setup FRONT SUSPENSION Drop Spindles by Aaron Carswell 01-04 Swaybar Endlinks Energy Suspension Endlink Bushings Cando Upper Control arms QA1 coilovers with 8" spring Custom 4 pot Brembo BBK Modified lower control arms with mjbfab qa1 mounting plates and Poly bushing sleeves REAR SUSPENSION Chasis Tech drop leafs QA1 adjustable shocks weld in drop notch Gas tank cross member bridge 3" angled blocks 2013 Double Cab Short Bed TRD Sport Eibach Pro Truck Shocks front and rear Lifted to the 3rd setting on the front shocks
    Got some more practice in today. Still not close to where I should be but I'm gonna keep practicing.

20190102_171625.jpg 20190102_170814.jpg

jjsul, la0d0g, EatSleepTacos and 3 others like this.
  8. Jan 2, 2019 at 6:16 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    way to weld it to the vise :)

Make sure to practice actual joints too though. Running beads on flat plate isnt the same as actually welding two things together IMO

9. Jan 2, 2019 at 6:29 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    ^

Running Board Man likes this.
  10. Jan 2, 2019 at 6:44 PM
    mjbtaco

mjbtaco low and slow

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    PERFORMANCE Custom Turbo Setup FRONT SUSPENSION Drop Spindles by Aaron Carswell 01-04 Swaybar Endlinks Energy Suspension Endlink Bushings Cando Upper Control arms QA1 coilovers with 8" spring Custom 4 pot Brembo BBK Modified lower control arms with mjbfab qa1 mounting plates and Poly bushing sleeves REAR SUSPENSION Chasis Tech drop leafs QA1 adjustable shocks weld in drop notch Gas tank cross member bridge 3" angled blocks 2013 Double Cab Short Bed TRD Sport Eibach Pro Truck Shocks front and rear Lifted to the 3rd setting on the front shocks
    Lmao yeah I still dont have a table and this was the last of my steel just got too close to the vise haha. But I have been welding t joints I just didnt have any more pieces to weld together. Did this one today with to of the old t joints I had already welded up lol

20190102_165134.jpg

Drainbung likes this.
  11. Jan 2, 2019 at 6:47 PM
    velillen

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    Looks good! And dont worry everyone has welded stuff to things they didnt mean to at some point in their welding adventures!

Speedo, koditten and mjbtaco[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Jan 2, 2019 at 6:53 PM
    mjbtaco

mjbtaco low and slow

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    Lol thanks man. This is my 4th time welding. I just bought the machine on black Friday so this is a whole new learning experience for me and I've been having fun. I'm lucky to have some pretty experienced people give me tips online so it's been nice having people tell me when I'm doing something right or wrong.

jjsul, Shmellmopwho and Speedo like this.
  13. Jan 2, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 oÂ’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    As long as you don't weld your fingers you're doing alright!

14. Jan 2, 2019 at 7:57 PM
    mjbtaco

mjbtaco low and slow

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    Lmao hope that never happens lol

15. Jan 2, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 oÂ’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    Fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:

Err, scratch that... lol

Drainbung, jjsul and mjbtaco[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Jan 4, 2019 at 8:29 AM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    Where r u guys buying Lincoln electric welding wire? I've seen a $15dlls price difference between .030 & .035 at home depot. I've been using the Vulcan brand so far so good, I just want to try a different brand.

17. Jan 4, 2019 at 8:50 AM
    velillen

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    I end up getting most of mine online. Unless Im at the local welding store for something then Ill pick some up there. But online has generally been the cheapest around me. Just wish the local welding store wasnt way out of the way for me

18. Jan 4, 2019 at 9:08 AM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    I buy wire once a year what ever distributor gives me the best quote on my order

19. Jan 4, 2019 at 12:34 PM
    tacotunner06

tacotunner06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Edmonds, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma
    LS Swap with RSG Tranzilla, Custom hi clearance front bumper, Relentless: Slider's, bed rails, rear bumper, Prinsu with 40" BD s8. Dirt Designs 3.5 LT. Archive Garage rear towers/shackle flip/SUA. King Air bumps. King LT Coilovers in front. King 12x2.5 in rear. ARB rear air locker and twin compressor. SCS f5's with 33" Ridge Grapplers. 20" S8 mounted in bumper, squadron sport fog lights, squadron pro backup lights, LP6's bumper mounted.
    I always just buy whatever flavor my buddy at central welding is selling. Never had any issues from them.

20. Jan 5, 2019 at 1:45 AM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    Today`s Lesson is numbers to know that 240VAC is not the same as 480VAC

This happens now and then as companies expand put up new buildings some now have 480VAC some still have 240VAC even though outlets and machines are both labeled .

Now as newer equipment is bought that has the different styles of working on what ever voltage you feed it not a problem.

Then getting every machine up and running gets some real oldies back into use .

I suggested linking everything to 480VAC then they would not work on the lower voltage .

I feel better now!!

Products Discussed in

To Top