1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anything welding

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by EL TACOROJO, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Dec 10, 2020 at 5:04 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    My compliments to you doing that fabrication in such a small space.

Watch the hots!

2. Dec 10, 2020 at 6:47 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Gotta work with what ya got, it's the only "flat" space I have. I'm just happy to have that much space, it's been a long time working to get there. Still a long ways to go but this workbench should help clear up floor space.

Pyrotech, gpb, Drainbung and 2 others like this.
  3. Dec 11, 2020 at 7:22 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    copy/pasting question from thread...
    Do you weld? Is it hard?

I am thinking of getting into it, for Tacoma projects and repairs
    it seems worth it. Especially if you get crashed into (normal), take the $1300 insurance payout, then spend $500 on a Coastal bumper kit, $600 on a welder, build it, then keep the welder for later uses.

Here is my theoretical game-plan if I decide to pull the trigger; I'm curious to know your thoughts
    -education: community college classes, YouTube, books
    -practice: on scrap metal, maybe stress testing the weld with bends and hammer blows to see if it holds
    -welder: 220v, 180 amp, around there. Reputable brands, probably new, like Hobart, Miller, etc. usually $600-900
    -supporting tools: auto darkening helmet, corded grinder and bits, skin UV burn protection including gloves, etc.

am worried about power supply; like if it has to be a true 220v (I hear some 220v outlets are actually slightly under that)
    and grinding prep. Shops try to tell me grinding is hard and takes a while. But regular people tell me it takes 3-5 minutes.
    So I am wondering which is true.
    Maybe shops are just creating a lie of "Oh no! Grinding the metal bare takes hours and hours!" to try and dissuade me from DIY'ing and tricking me into handing them over thousands to facilitate their profession
    Which is cool and all, but we can't all always do that

It seems to have so many uses
    -fabricate armor like bumpers
    -weld on sliders
    -reinforce frame
    -add swingouts
    -suspension improvements
    etc.

Honestly if you tell me grinding is quick and easy I'll probably pull the trigger.
    Because that's really the only on-the-fence factor at this point. Like if I find out metal is strong as fuck (pardon my french, no other way to put it) and literally takes 8 hours of super loud sparking BZZZZZZZ causing noise complaints, then I can justify taking it to some shop that does that in an enclosed facility in a commercial building area
    but if it's quick and easy, then DIY all the way...

[​IMG]

4. Dec 11, 2020 at 7:29 PM
    99kx250

99kx250 Taco Bell king

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRDOR
    Welded for the first time a few days ago, made myself a weight rack for my dumbbells! Don’t be too hard on meC4ED2E11-D18A-4B87-9157-2713FF9124A9.jpg36F1B23D-AA29-41C9-B72B-3914C80CD5F0.jpgEABD67CE-055A-4603-BC24-B2FAC0E9ED42.jpg

D2., jubei, gpb and 4 others like this.
  5. Dec 11, 2020 at 7:30 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Those welds will hold fine. I like a little more "heat" for better penetration, but you are well on your way.very nice!

Drainbung, Shmellmopwho and 99kx250 like this.
  6. Dec 11, 2020 at 9:14 PM
    Running Board Man

Running Board Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    What are yalls thoughts on the horrible freight 125 flux core welder

I got one yesterday to weld up a car port because I didn't trust my everlast inverter welder behind my generator that wasn't big enough for my 220 lincoln arc welder

I like it as is, but feel like throwing a bridge rectifier and maybe capacitors into it to improve the arc.

I specifically got the 125fc because it's an analog transformer unit, so nothing square wave, high/low voltage or voltage spikes can mess up

The same can't be said about my jumper pack... The LCD display and built-in charger no longer work after jumping that generator... Which is disappointing because it's jumped countless cars and trucks over the years

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  7. Dec 12, 2020 at 2:59 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Best answer Yes No Maybe and that depends .

There are so many things that come into play.

Welding out of position on dirty rusty vehicles is some of the most difficult out there .

Having a Fire watcher is really a very good idea.

A welding class is the best way to go but with the Bat Flu are any schools even having classes in person

Watch Lots and Lots of videos the trick is to understand what happens in the puddle and make it happen on a regular basis.

Grinding is physically not hard but doing so without making things worse is an art some people burn up grinders putting far to much pressure on them. Some people burn down houses from grinding sparks and no fire watcher being young and dumb .

The trick is to do as little grinding as possible !!

It all come down to just what type of work your getting into. Having only one grinder is a handicap you will spend more time swapping different discs back and forth Knowing just what type of disc to use for the job at hand can be important.

Your budget of $600.00 for a welder is really on the low side Look at the Hobart Handler 210MVP then to you factor in Your cylinder or 2 and other assorted items an easy $1000.00 plus

As far as Input Voltage most machines will handle plus or minus 10% do you know your input voltage?

Buying a bumper will be cheaper in the long run at this point figure the cost of all the steel plus extra for those little errors designing just what you want the means to cut and weld the bumper together .

Try some welding first you might find you can not stand doing it.

Dark 100% cotton and jeans have been the dress of welders for years even in school.

Ear plugs and safety glasses

8. Dec 12, 2020 at 3:05 AM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    If it works for the job one does what you need to.

I know self shielded wire has really improved but getting burned back in the seventies I will not ever use it even getting the wire free,

9. Dec 12, 2020 at 3:59 AM
    Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro AG MT, 1997 Land Cruiser
    ADS coilovers/13" smoothies, Deaver Stage 1, Archive HH
    I just started welding this summer so I can give you a newbie perspective. The grinding isn't that bad, just make sure you're using the thin cutoff wheels. I was initially using the thick grinding wheels for cutting and it takes significantly longer and is messier. A 2 foot cut of 3/16" steel only takes a minute or two. It is loud though and you can catch yourself on fire :anonymous:, so plan accordingly.

FWIW, I bought the Harbor Freight Titanium 170 for $460 (with a coupon) which is a 120/240 machine. I would recommend using gas instead of flux core wire, which produces much less splatter. An 80 ft3 bottle should suffice. You can make some nice welds with this setup.

YouTube and scrap metal, along with feedback from this forum, is all you need with regard to training. I'm still learning but am getting better and am good enough to make stuff I'm comfortable putting on my truck (made a mid and rear skid plate last month and planning to next make a rear bumper)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    EatSleepTacos and koditten like this.
  10. Dec 12, 2020 at 7:27 AM
    Pyrotech

Pyrotech Well-Known Member

Member:
    if your 240v outlet is actually running under 220v, then you may want to contact the power company.

it is likely your transformer has a tap switch that can be used to adjust the voltage to compensate for slightly higher or lower voltage. in 2 1/2% steps

could be an indicator of something wrong with some equipment further upline than the pot that feeds your service. as well.

20200902_093427.jpg

gpb likes this.
  11. Dec 12, 2020 at 8:10 AM
    Tacman19

Tacman19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    As many as I can fabricate
    Grinding is a way of life. It's part of the game. The ability to take something nasty, and make it smooth and beautiful is rewarding. Why is this a issue? I've got war stories but none that would prevent me from doing it.
    Zim

12. Dec 12, 2020 at 8:29 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DCSB TRDOR 4x4

I'm a newbie so will comment from that perspective.
    • It's really cool to be able to "glue" pieces of metal together.
    • Sure, an in person class would probably have been nice but there's so much info on youtube now, and many very helpful folks here, that I've not felt I've been held back by not having a "class".
    • Yes, work with scrap. Just remember to clean it up so you're not handicapping yourself. Also figure out some small projects to do so you can point to something you've really accomplished rather than just bits of "junk".
    • There's something to be said for a dual voltage machine. I bought the HF Titanium 170. It does quite well on 120V, I will add a 240V circuit in time though. It'll also run okay for smaller stuff off my 2300/2500W inverter generator.
    • After a bit of flux core I bought a 80CF bottle of C25 and it is *so* much better. I still practice my flux core though since I have some projects down on the dock to do and won't be hauling the bottle down there.
    • Yes, grinding is something you'll be doing. Get multiple grinders - don't have to be fancy - super handy to be able to swap from cutting wheel to grinding disk to flap wheel or wire wheel just by grabbing different ones. I presently have two corded and one cordless I use. Already had the one corded and one cordless.
    • Grinding doesn't take "hours" unless you're doing it wrong. Use a saw where appropriate, a cutoff wheel where appropriate, a grinding disc where appropriate.
    • There's a lot of talent here on this thread - and photos of some super good looking work. Don't worry if your ugly (but functional) welds don't look like those shown by guys who've been doing this for a living for many years...
    • Budget? For a hobbiest unless you'd building/selling stuff or doing stuff for other people paying you, it's probably not exactly a "cost savings" thing. Doesn't mean you can't still try to "sell it" that way to your significant other. :rofl:

Drainbung and INBONESTRYKER like this.
  13. Dec 12, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    Anybody have a MILLER SYNCROWAVE 250?

14. Dec 12, 2020 at 9:24 AM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    Why?? an older one or a newer one??

Built in cooler or not??

Serial #

15. Dec 12, 2020 at 9:30 AM
    Guerrilla

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    I see a couple on craigslist, older... Don't think they have a cooler.
    STOCK NUMBER 903056 , $1,850.
    Also ~ KD544327 , $3,700.

16. Dec 12, 2020 at 9:38 AM
    Drainbung

Drainbung Somedays you are the show....

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Fallabama, NV
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB
    TRD Fleshlight
    My son learned on a 250 (in a production facility) and now owns a 210, no complaints with either.

Guerrilla[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Dec 12, 2020 at 9:39 AM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    Do you have the electric service to run that machine It should be on a 100 amp breaker and input sized according

Built late 93 you can go to Miller Welds and download the owners manual

As test run and all the goodies how much??

18. Dec 12, 2020 at 9:45 AM
    Guerrilla

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    No I'd need to get set up electrical.

STOCK NUMBER 903056 , $1,850.
    Also ~ KD544327 , $3,700.

Seems like the older machines were made better, at least that's what I hear.

19. Dec 12, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    Here you Go!! I found it

Attached Files:

Guerrilla[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Dec 12, 2020 at 10:00 AM