1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anza Borrego trails?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by mhagio, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Apr 1, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    mhagio

mhagio [OP] Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Silver 4x4
    Couple questions regarding the following two trails located in Anza Borrego, CA

Canyon Sin Nombre,
    Arroyo Seco Del Diablo

1) Are these doable with a standard SUV (I.e. RX300)? without sustaining damage? (note we will have my 4x4 tacoma along for the ride to help pull out of any heavy sand)

2) About how long does it take to drive these trails?

2. Apr 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    We were in the area last Saturday... but not Sin Nombre. We left S-2 by Candbrake (signed for Palm Spring) and drove down Vallecito Creek to Arroyo Tapiado and first stopped at the Mud Caves... continued up Tapiado to the cross over trail to Arroyo Seco del Diablo... then over to Diablo Dropoff.

You can do all of this to the top of the drop off in 2WD... just a bit of ground clearance would be good on the cross over trail where you leave Tapiado... There is a great view of the desert from the top of the Dropoff...

You then could go back using either Seco del Diablo or Tapiado... But, I didn't drive Seco this trip, and it was a few years ago since last time.

Many SUVs, and Subaru AWDs in Vallecitos Creek (dry) and Tapiado.

Only Jeeps and serious off roaders going down the Drop Off to Broken Shaft Gulch and Fish Creek.

Now, if you go around via Ocotillo Wells, you can drive way up Fish Creek (Split Mountain) in 2WD...

Here's my photos and report from last Saturday: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/of...0-mud-caves-diablo-drop-off-devils-slide.html

We left S-2 about noon and off roaded all afternood in there and over at Ocotillo Wells long before dark... So, it doesn't take a lot of time to drive the parts you mention.

3. Apr 1, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Your time is contingent on how fast you go. For a good easy pace plan on 3 hours. :notsure:

When you enter Canyon Sin Nombre from S-2, it will be rocky and rough at first. The recent rains probably have made it worse. If you get past the rocky section in the beginning you're all set.

Canyon Sin Nombre
    [​IMG]

Arroyo Del Diablo is just a big wash you should be fine.

[​IMG]

As DavidK pointed out. Don't attempt to go from Arroyo Del Diablo to Fish Creek through Broken Shaft Gultch.

[​IMG]

I went through the gultch and the drop off in both directions up and down during a trip in Dec '09. I'm 4x4 though.

[​IMG]

Have fun out there, its a great time of year to explore. :)

4. Apr 1, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    mhagio

mhagio [OP] Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Silver 4x4
    Thanks for the advice and pics. That gultch looks freekin brutal! I will definitely not be attempting that. Even with my 4x4 lifted truck.

I'm thinking to first hit the mud caves, via tapiado, then take del diablo back down and finish off on sin nombre back to S2.

I'm sure my truck will be fine, but I was worried about the clearance on my brother-in-laws SUV and 2wd. But sounds like its doable as long as we avoid the drop-off. (I'm bringing a tow strap just in case)

Those are nice Pics I'm getting really excited to head out there.
    Thanks!

5. Apr 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Sounds like a plan!

As for the Broken Shaft Gulch... I did it in my stock, 4 month old Tacoma and didn't hit anything or put any dents in the metal... Just had the Mrs. spot my tire placement when I crossed over the biggest rocks in Crom's and my photos... If you are lifted then even easier!

But, you are with others in a lesser vehicle than a Toyota... So go to the top of the Drop Off for the view, only!

Products Discussed in

To Top