1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Apogee Off Road 3rd Gen Tacoma Bumper Options

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Apogee Offroad, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Apr 14, 2020 at 12:11 PM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    I admit that it was misdirected. I'm tired of the same ol' "you don't need BSM" argument from so many people. That's all.

JoeCOVA[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Apr 14, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    Full disclosure: BSM is something I did not want to get rid of and was something my wife specifically wanted when we bought the truck. I would have preferred to keep it in the end but unfortunately there is a compromise somewhere. This bumper is a solid option for most people.

3. Apr 14, 2020 at 12:22 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Sounds like we are in the same boat there. My wife has limited mobility in her spine so BSM is a useful tool for her. If the BSM works as well as claimed, then this one seems to tick the box for me.

JoeCOVA[QUOTED] and deuceb like this.
  4. Apr 14, 2020 at 12:22 PM
    deuceb

deuceb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver | Austin
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco BBPDCLBTRDOR | 2004 MB SL55 | 86 VW GTI
    I actually don't care about the BSM so much as the Rear cross traffic alert. That's pretty nice to have living in a downtown area, and having the limo model of the taco. People zip through parking lots and I can't always back in park.

ActionHank, s.wilson, PilotMM and 2 others like this.
  5. Apr 14, 2020 at 3:03 PM
    pinem56

pinem56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR DCSB AT
    Most of the street parking in the downtown where I live is diagonal on one-way streets. There is no way to back into parking spaces as a result. Without rear cross traffic alert, it's all an act of faith when pulling out of a spot blindly that either no traffic is coming, or the drivers are staying alert to vehicles backing out into their path.

The RCT alert did save me once when an asshole was tearing through a parking lot with diagonal parking spaces. I slammed on the brakes as soon as I heard the alert go off. He came so close to my rear bumper my rear parking assist sonar fired off as well. By the time I did a 360 visual check, he was already so far down the parking lot I barely even got a glimpse of the vehicle before it was out of view. He just came out of nowhere and was gone in a flash.

deuceb[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Apr 14, 2020 at 3:12 PM
    mrCanoehead

mrCanoehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Sport manual 3.5 l
    You should write to the people who are painting the lines because they are doing it wrong.

I've been taught that I control the lane when I am entering the parking spot and I always back in, no excuses. I worked for a utility for a while and you'd get written up if they caught you parking backwards. I assume it's because it reduces their fleet costs. Pretty hard to have an accident if you are driving forward out of a parking spot.

7. Apr 15, 2020 at 4:38 PM
    Apogee Offroad

Apogee Offroad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Magnetic Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Apogee Offroad Bumpers, Baja Designs S8, S2, Squadrons. Warn VREvo8.
    Hi Joe, yep if we're being real its 100% to fit a BSM sensor in. If that wasn't a big feature we wanted on the bumper it would be flush. But for the trucks that don't come equipped we thought it would be a nice step up into the bed and offers some side impact support as an added benefit. Although I agree that BSM value is subjective, we wanted to offer an option for Tacoma owners to retain every bit of OEM tech they possibly could. I'd sure hate to buy a truck that came equipped with an option that I would inevitably have sitting useless on a shelf when I purchased a new rear bumper, but that's just our 2 cents here!

8. Apr 15, 2020 at 9:53 PM
    Rude1

Rude1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The website now says:”BSM sensor mounts and covers sold separately, please inquire for details.”

What are the details? Any pictures with a cover?

9. Apr 15, 2020 at 10:21 PM
    deuceb

deuceb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver | Austin
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco BBPDCLBTRDOR | 2004 MB SL55 | 86 VW GTI
    You could always make it look like it sticks out on purpose by adding some corner protection kinda like this truck. I just ordered my topper today, bumpers are next on the list so i'm interested in this.
    477403d1257267398-toyota-front-rear-tube_b2e07eb1c1c4183889d53840858519b7e04de49d.jpg

10. Apr 16, 2020 at 12:07 PM
    Apogee Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Vehicle:
    Hi there. In a nutshell the details were mainly on when they would be available and what lead times came with the orders. We are stocking them this week and have a few going out to customers soon. A video will be posted to our social media pages as well as our website demonstrating the functionality. Not a super long video, just something to quickly show how they work.

10ECTACO, Grindstone and Alnmike like this.
  11. Apr 16, 2020 at 12:10 PM
    Apogee Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Vehicle:
    Yes sir! Currently trying to see about attaching some modular lower protection plates to the sides of the bumper just like that, but instead of tubing just sheet metal. Definitely something later down the road. If you're interested in a bumper or have any other questions/comments send us an email. We hope to hear from you soon, thanks!

dskakie and deuceb[QUOTED] like this.
  12. May 5, 2020 at 1:27 PM
    greyburn

greyburn Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got my rear bumper today, it's really well built. Unfortunately the shipping was not kind and the powder coating did not hold up. Looking forward to fitting (once I figure out what to do about coating) https://photos.app.goo.gl/426Mt9e77Jphaeou5

The wooden frame here was pretty well destroyed, but the bumper looks straight. So I know it can take a beating (just not the coating!).

13. May 5, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Jeebus

14. May 5, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    Apogee Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Vehicle:
    Gordon, so sorry to hear about your experience. We're going to do everything we can to make it right and will be in contact shortly.

15. May 6, 2020 at 9:22 AM
    pfhat

pfhat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno TRD OffRoad 4x4 Auto DCLB w/JBL
    I'm pretty stoked about the tech package support. Like a bunch of folks, the BSM has been a main buying point for my better half. Plus it turns out i like it. Is there any way you can provide a picture from the front torwards the rear that shows how far out the sides protrude? Also I didn't see the fold-down license plate option on your website.

Apogee Offroad[OP] likes this.
  16. May 6, 2020 at 9:49 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    https://www.apogeeoffroad.com/shop/flip-down-license-plate-bracket

17. May 6, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    SRBenjamin

SRBenjamin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benny
    Ya, looks like someone installed a Tundra bumper on a Tacoma.

18. May 6, 2020 at 10:28 AM
    theluharlifestyle

theluharlifestyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Parth
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD OR
    @Apogee Offroad Will you be making a high clearance version of this bumper in the future?

19. May 6, 2020 at 10:33 AM
    Doolsmack_Bud

Doolsmack_Bud Capt

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Quicksand TRD OR 4x4 w/Tech Package
    MESO Customs Quicksand trim ATHFab Bed Stiffeners OGFabrications MOLLE interior
    Interesting. I like the look of the rear bumper.

20. May 6, 2020 at 10:39 AM
    Apogee Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Vehicle:
    Yep! Ill get one up on the site soon. If you need a reference dimension, they stick out a little over .75" past the original bumper.

Grindstone and pfhat[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top