1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Application of Fluid Film

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BBYE V8, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Oct 16, 2014 at 3:53 AM
    TRVLR500

TRVLR500 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    I just did mine. It's a 4X4 so I didn't even need a lift or ramps or anything. I didn't think it was that messy of a job at all. I just rolled around under there on a creeper for about an hour or 2 with the wands and all and coated everything I could see inside and out. I still need to do inside the doors and tailgate when i have time to pull the door panels.

I used the gun Kellersport sells since I have access to a shop with a compressor. It worked perfect and I didn't even use the regulator I bought for the gun since I didn't have the proper fittings. I just used the air pressure out of the line which was up around 120 psi at least.

I think I used just over a half a gallon. I coated everything pretty good and did two or three passes inside the frame rails with the wands.

2. Oct 30, 2014 at 12:44 PM
    drc42

drc42 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off-Road
    Picked up a spray can of FF at my local Oreily Auto Parts the other day just to see what the stuff is like. The guys at the counter there said they love the stuff. They said they carry the gallon cans also.

I live in New Hampshire, lots of salt on the roads. Rust has killed all my previous vehicles, hoping to keep my new Taco much longer so I ordered the pro spray kit from kellsport (thanks for the "Tacoma" discount!).

Looking forward to spraying my Taco.... less looking forward to trying to get under my wife's Subaru but planning on doing it as well.

3. Oct 30, 2014 at 2:42 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    Did you get the upgraded gun with the long 360 deg nozzle?? it helps in the front box section and getting in the underneath rocker plugs.
    Pull off the inner tailgate panel to do the tail gate - piece of cake. Use the spray can long 360 deg small dia. nozzle to get up the door holes. The only minor thing for me is that I put so much in every nook and cranny that the inside of the cab smells a little like old sweat soaked tee shirts from a locker .

Also the F Film is quite thick but thins out when shaken. I also put my gallon in a pot of hot water. IT sprayed just fine though....
    Good luck.

4. Oct 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    drc42

drc42 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off-Road
    Yup, went for the "pro" gun specifically because it has the 32" flex hose attachment. Should be handy for getting into all those little spots where rust likes to start.

And yes, I do plan on warming up the FF before spraying.... getting to be that time of year when temps don't get too warm.

5. Oct 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    TacoLlama

TacoLlama Well-Known Member

Member:
    R.I.
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB
    I did under my truck a week or so ago.Definitely drive up on a tarp before spraying.Wear a respirator also if you have one.The smell starts to go away after a few days.I live in the NE and drive on the beach.My frame had a tiny bit of surface rust on a few bolts on the frame.Next time I will remove the spare tire for better coverage in that area.All in all it went well.My truck is only a few years old but better late than never.I've been spraying it on everything.I may buy a case of the spray cans just for general home/work use.I wish I had found this stuff sooner.

6. Oct 30, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Just curious - You guys in New England using all that FF - R U going for the CRC and or a new frame too. You all must have gotten the letter I did calling for inspection and CRC if there are no holes - a new frame if there are holes. I've been taking good care of my frame and there is hardly any rust on it - that's why I ask - I'm don't think I want their crap [CRC] sprayed all over . Any reply appreciated.

7. Nov 1, 2014 at 4:42 AM
    LilredDcab

LilredDcab Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    06 D cab SR5
    5100's
    No longer have tha Taco but in a 14 Tundra now. I bought a kit off of ebay with a sprayer and a gallon of film and there is NO WAY I am going to cover the truck with 1 gallon. The sprayer has no nozzle just a straight tube and pretty much spits out large amounts of product. Is there a nozzle that can be bought ?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Nov 1, 2014 at 5:27 AM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    There were two extension nozzles that I really used and glad I bought... The long 360 deg nozzle for the gun (inside box frame and rocker panels plugs, etc.) and the long 360 for the cans (up the door vents and a few other small holes.). To do the tailgate - pull the inside panel - that was the easiest part ...)

Good luck !

9. Nov 1, 2014 at 3:01 PM
    TRVLR500

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    I have a question for those that have used FF for a few years. When you get out into the mud or the snow and salty slush do you still take it to the pressure washer and blast the wheel well areas and underneath or just wait until summer to give it a good cleaning and re-apply?

The reason I ask is that pressure washing seems to take it all right back off although there does seem to be somewhat of a slightly oily film left on the metal I'm just wondering if this stuff permeates into the pores of the metal and still protects even after pressure washing. It seems to me that after a few pressure washes it would be gone.

10. Nov 1, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    ERMB

ERMB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Land Cruiser
    I'm in Mass and have gotten anything by mail or any other notification about the crc.

11. Nov 2, 2014 at 3:40 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I could scan it and post it if I knew how - It lists 20 states from MA down to VA - west to OH - from MI, MN south to KY
    CT,DE,IL,IN,KY,MA,MD,ME,MI,MN,NH,NJ,NY,OH,PA,RI,VA,VT,WI,&WV
    You have to March 31, 2016

Thanks for the reply - I'm just surprised and a little disappointed no one who is using FF consistently will answer my question - R U going to go for the CRC even tho your frame is protected by FF ? I've read they do a sloppy slam bam thank you mam job.

12. Nov 2, 2014 at 4:41 AM
    ERMB

ERMB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Land Cruiser
    From what I've read on other threads, I think it's all based on visual inspection. If it's in good shape they'll probably do nothing, and say keep doing what you're doing.

13. Nov 2, 2014 at 5:03 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Interesting - there is a Reimbursement Checklist - If you have had the frame repaired and can prove it 4 or 5 ways they will reimburse you for it.

14. Nov 2, 2014 at 5:43 AM
    ERMB

ERMB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Land Cruiser
    I'm bringing in mine for the spiral cable soon so I'll ask about it then. Once I get their answers I'll move forward on the fluid film if necessary.

15. Nov 2, 2014 at 6:06 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    I use FF.
    After crc is applied the truck becomes a nasty unit to work on.
    We have to be careful cause it can get on anything.
    Washing the wells and frame is doable and a "pressure washer" is usable with caution. I use just a garden hose if I feel necessary. A pressure washer with the low pressure nozzle I would think be ok. However, remember putting water on salt to wash off the frame created brine. That creeps into places you don't want.
    So myself I just leave it.
    If I get a notice on a spray I really don't know what I would do.

16. Nov 3, 2014 at 12:01 AM
    TRVLR500

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    OK, thanks.

17. Jul 14, 2015 at 7:01 AM
    mprediger

mprediger Active Member

Member:
    Wadsworth, OH
    Old thread but good info. I'm going to be treating my frame, etc. with FF very soon. I lost my 2002 TRD Off Road to frame rust (and my own stupidity for not responding to the recall letter when I got it) and I do NOT want a repeat with my 2012 DCLB. For you guys that have done this, I have some light surface rust on the sides of the frame, did you all wire brush that off and treat with rust preventative paint before applying the FF or just spray right over it? Want to make sure I do this right. Thanks.

18. Jul 14, 2015 at 3:46 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Yes

Hehehe....
    I check mine every fall.
    If I see something I don't like I sand, clean, paint, then spray.
    It's always minor. Or the paint has flaked off a small spot. Sand well...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  19. Jan 26, 2016 at 3:12 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    How are you guys reaching the tops of the frame rails?

20. Jan 26, 2016 at 3:53 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    I raise my truck on the lift so the bottom of the frame is 6" over my head.
    I reach up and aim and shoot... :notsure:
    Lol between inside and outside of the top frame rail you can reach in and spray the top. There is a few inches of space between body components and frame. Just search for your angles... :)

To Top