1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AR-15 BS Thread

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by BulletToothTony, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Oct 7, 2022 at 10:48 AM
    p1smo

p1smo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 3.4L 5MT
    Relentless Stealth front + Relentless standard rear plate bumpers w/ D2 cutouts, 2x Rigid D2 floods front + 2x Rigid flush D2 floods rear, BAMF behind-the-grille light bar mount w/ 2x Rigid 6" bar floods, KING coilovers/springs + rear adjuster shocks, Deaver leaf springs, Total Chaos UCAs, BAMF rock sliders, BAMF LCA skids, Relentless front skid, Low-Range Off-Road gas tank skid, Marlin differential plate cover, Marlin E-Locker motor guard, Hawke HD brake pads, Trail Gear steel brake line kit, Marlin HD full clutch assembly, deckplate intake mod + AFE high flow filter, ARB CKMA12, exhaust dumped over rear axle, 32/11.5r15 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, American Racing Baja 15x8, Viper alarm + fuel cutoff switch, and more Toyota OEM parts + replacements than I care to list
    Exactly. For people like me that travel a lot with guns, it makes more sense to keep it as a pistol so I don't have to deal with all the cross-state funkiness.

2. Oct 7, 2022 at 11:10 AM
    MAG GRY TACO15

MAG GRY TACO15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off-Road
    Same crap everyone else got
    Good to know. Guess the letter I always used as a reference was out dated.

atf-folded-brace_redacted_page_1~2.jpg

p1smo[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Oct 7, 2022 at 11:17 AM
    p1smo

p1smo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Relentless Stealth front + Relentless standard rear plate bumpers w/ D2 cutouts, 2x Rigid D2 floods front + 2x Rigid flush D2 floods rear, BAMF behind-the-grille light bar mount w/ 2x Rigid 6" bar floods, KING coilovers/springs + rear adjuster shocks, Deaver leaf springs, Total Chaos UCAs, BAMF rock sliders, BAMF LCA skids, Relentless front skid, Low-Range Off-Road gas tank skid, Marlin differential plate cover, Marlin E-Locker motor guard, Hawke HD brake pads, Trail Gear steel brake line kit, Marlin HD full clutch assembly, deckplate intake mod + AFE high flow filter, ARB CKMA12, exhaust dumped over rear axle, 32/11.5r15 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, American Racing Baja 15x8, Viper alarm + fuel cutoff switch, and more Toyota OEM parts + replacements than I care to list
    The statement I posted was from a field office agent, so who knows? It's not uncommon for them to get confused by, or misunderstand their own regulations. I always measure from a fully retracted position anyway just to be safe, and I'm still a good 3" over.

4. Oct 7, 2022 at 11:28 AM
    golfindia

golfindia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes.
    Vehicle:
    pickup truck
    Is an open ended Form 20 reallt that difficult....? Good grief. It's one page.

5. Oct 7, 2022 at 11:36 AM
    p1smo

p1smo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Which requires filing with the ATF in advance and waiting for approval, which is a hassle when you're just trying to go out of town for a weekend trip. Is using a brace really that difficult? I don't see what your issue is.

JDAM likes this.
  6. Oct 7, 2022 at 11:53 AM
    cubie

cubie Aznrednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 and '18 TRD OR 4x4 Access Cab
  7. Oct 7, 2022 at 11:53 AM
    Enigma8246

Enigma8246 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner Limited 4WD V8
    You can do them for up to a year and they come back pretty quickly compared to other BATFE waiting periods (<30 days last time). I usually do mine on my birthday and set them to start 60 days after my birthday. That way I have time for them to come back approved before the old one expires. But it is still a PITA to do one considering each address has to have one and I generally do 6-7 addresses. Also, to me it's somewhat of an invasion of privacy to tell the Fed Gov where I'm going to be taking something that I'm legally allowed to own and have paid my tax on.

But I still usually do the pistol lower. All I need is some asshole cop who doesn't know the law and is looking to make a name for themselves and I wind up spending the night in a jail until someone figures out he's an illiterate dipshit. Unfortunately a lot of the places where my and my wife's family lives are podunk towns where police/sheriffs are hired/elected based on their family connections rather than their intelligence or qualifications.

The state line issue is the only reason I haven't SBR'd my AR-9.

p1smo[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 7, 2022 at 11:58 AM
    p1smo

p1smo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ya I've looked at extended issues, but really, what's the difference in using a pistol lower? Functionally there isn't any, and it doesn't require me to file any paperwork or worry about some asshole cop like you said. I have an NFA trust with a friend that I keep a couple items on, located at my main travel destination if/when I feel like having that kind of fun.

9. Oct 7, 2022 at 12:32 PM
    saint277

saint277 Vigilo Confido

Member:
    General question, how does paint hold up when applied to barrels? I avoided painting mine because I figured it would burn off but I see Cubie there went ahead and painted his.

10. Oct 7, 2022 at 12:55 PM
    p1smo

p1smo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Like monster said, it burns off and leaves a light brownish/red residue, but you can paint right over it again. No biggie. Some people don't like the way it burns off and don't paint the barrel. Just personal preference.

11. Oct 7, 2022 at 12:56 PM
    saint277

saint277 Vigilo Confido

Member:
    Thanks, gonna do my 6.5 grendal DMR this weekend, think I will mask the barrel as with my 5.56.

12. Oct 7, 2022 at 12:59 PM
    p1smo

p1smo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Plan on doing one of mine too after we move in a couple months, and I can get my new workshop set up. Just need to decide what color scheme I'm going to use.

13. Oct 7, 2022 at 1:06 PM
    saint277

saint277 Vigilo Confido

Member:
    Have fresh cans of alumihyde in OD green and coyote brown, see who wins the coin toss. Only issue is I don't think the upper will fit in the oven so its gonna be a long slow cure.

14. Oct 7, 2022 at 1:44 PM
    cubie

cubie Aznrednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 and '18 TRD OR 4x4 Access Cab
    It will change colors after time. What color it changes to depends on what color you originally paint it. If you don't like it, it can always be repainted. That rifle above is the 2nd time I've painted it.

wilcam47 likes this.
  15. Oct 7, 2022 at 4:42 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4wd super white (sold) '13 access cab SR5 4wd
    piddly stuff
    Can I get a :amen:

TomTwo and wilcam47 like this.
  16. Oct 7, 2022 at 4:54 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    piddly stuff
    Not so much when you have shoulder disabilities

TomTwo likes this.
  17. Oct 7, 2022 at 5:44 PM
    golfindia

Member:
    Yes.
    Vehicle:
    pickup truck
    Vecro-ing an AR to your forearm sounds like the perfect theraputic solution.

Casper66[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Oct 7, 2022 at 5:56 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    piddly stuff
    I have no labrum left in either shoulder and one has been rebuilt twice. I have a small AR9 and It does help me shoot it with one hand. Though I admit I usually use both hands. I do not shoulder it however so the comb on the brace does give me a place for a cheek weld. It works for me but if they take it away I’ll adapt. We each have to find what works for us.

308savage, TomTwo and wilcam47 like this.
  19. Oct 7, 2022 at 6:02 PM
    golfindia

Member:
    Yes.
    Vehicle:
    pickup truck
    I have arthritis in my shoulders. Bench shooting with a real stock works great. Holding a pistol brace to my shoulder hurts like hell.

wilcam47 and Casper66[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Oct 7, 2022 at 6:11 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    piddly stuff
    This getting old shit ain’t for sissies but it beats the alternative.
    That would be why I don’t hold it to my shoulder. I don’t shoot it off a bench really either though but i feel ya with the arthritis

PinStripes, 308savage and wilcam47 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top