1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AR-15 BS Thread

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by BulletToothTony, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Jul 5, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    I would love a 3 lug on the 9mm but it has a 4.75" barrel and a 7.2" rail, so I would need to get a flash can to mount to the 3 lug or just not be able to shoot the rifle without the suppressor.

2. Jul 5, 2017 at 6:15 PM
    Tlook

Tlook Well-Known Member

Member:
    Couldn't you get a larger diameter handguard? One of the best things about a 3lug is that you can tuck them.

3. Jul 5, 2017 at 6:25 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    I believe the optimus will fit inside the hand guard (1.375" suppressor, KAK flash can on the barrel now is 1.360) but I think the muzzle blast sans suppressor would tear up the rail and light (my hand as well if I gripped it on the forearm, not the mag well).

4. Jul 5, 2017 at 7:11 PM
    Tlook

Tlook Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ah I see what you're saying now.

95 taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jul 5, 2017 at 7:54 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    I have an 11.5" upper to build, it currently has the m4 hand guard and a2 front sight post, MBUS rear sight.
    I'm thinking of turning it into something like this, but with a light and possibly a laser, it will also be run with the Optimus attached.
    IMG_6330.jpg

I want to go with the quad rail because I like the look (yeah, yeah, I know) and I also have large hands so the quad rail with the covers is a pretty good feel for me.

Optics wise I'm thinking either a red dot with possible flip magnifier or a 1-4 scope, it'll be a plinking/training/ battle rifle.

6. Jul 5, 2017 at 9:10 PM
    chappys4life

chappys4life Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Extended Cab
    Looking to build my first AR. Thinking of a 10.5 build.

Suggestions for a first timer?

7. Jul 5, 2017 at 9:11 PM
    LaRue Shooter

LaRue Shooter "Keep your dick in a vise."

Member:
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    Built up, locked 06 Sport Access Cab
    Trijicon sticker on rear window.
    You talking pistol or SBR?

8. Jul 5, 2017 at 9:18 PM
    chappys4life

chappys4life Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Extended Cab
    What's the difference? Was thinking a fun range 5.56 shooter on a budget

9. Jul 5, 2017 at 9:51 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    SBR= a rifle with a barrel length of less than 16", not legal in all states, requires a $200 tax stamp and months of waiting for approval.
    Pistol= AR with either a brace (IE the shockwave, sig brace, or others) or bare pistol buffer tube (no allocation for stock attachment) with no tax stamp or approval required.
    The above pictured rifle is a SBR
    The AR on the right in this picture is a pistol.

IMG_2172.jpg

LaRue Shooter and PapaBear like this.
  10. Jul 5, 2017 at 10:23 PM
    PapaBear

PapaBear Never test how deep the water is with both feet.

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB PR 4.0... Aaaand she’s GONE
    Soft Suspension Hard Rubber ®
    *years* :anonymous: Be ready to wait at least 11 months at this point.

I've been waiting months to bring this up and here's my chance. I have talked with mods and as long as our conversations don't go south, we're in the clear.

! Rant Ready !
    Because the ATF said so...

you can build a pistol AR in probably, at most, 3 days (maybe I'm cutting it back too much but you understand)

or wait 11 months, pay $200, FBI fingerprint cards, etc...

AND YOU CAN SHOULDER EITHER OF THEM.:annoyed:

Yes I am "ticked off" by the new "ruling".
    As always, don't blow my opinion out of proportion please...., but the AR platform was never intended as a "pistol", as was the original design of a "brace" (not a blade, that's another spinoff just to mess more with the system). Of course, as humans, we took advantage of this device that was created for something completely different and started "calling it" by a different name and using it other than what it was intended for. Even though my SBR isn't back yet, I've been out to the range. The amount of "Tacticool" I see with bros shouldering the pistol AR's is insane. I'm not saying my SBR is "Tacticool" either. I understand why NFA laws were put in place, and I do agree some need to be appealed (A silencer or suppressor, same exact thing, is an accessory, nothing special about it), but I payed $200 to build my SBR and here comes Mr. Tough Guy with his pistol banging away in the stall next to me. At least I have a cheap chinese made blast mitigation device to blow my gases and some sound forward so I don't deafen or blind the guy in the stalls near me. (I am planning on getting a suppressor if we can get the HPA put through, but if not i'll wait a little while before submitting another form.)

Maybe you have a different view. I would be glad to hear because talking it out is always best.:thumbsup: I will try my best not to argue also.
    I rest my case...

11. Jul 5, 2017 at 10:29 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    Honestly? You just sound butthurt because you paid the government an unnecessary $200 fee and waited months to do the exact same thing the guy next to you is doing. The amount of tacticool douchebaggery has nothing to do with a shouldered pistol vs an SBR. Plenty of guys with SBRs act the same way at ranges.

12. Jul 5, 2017 at 10:37 PM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    I understand what your saying but I'm not butthurt, sorry if I came off that way. Do you agree that the AR was never intended to be built as a pistol in the first place?

mackw10 likes this.
  13. Jul 5, 2017 at 10:43 PM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    You also have to take into account the safety aspect of someone who shouldn't be able to conceal a smaller "rifle" or "ar pistol" on their person. Yes, I have tested carrying a 16in standard sized rifle under a jacket or halfway through my waistband and through a thick coat, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (Disclaimer, I never have done this in a public setting ever and never intend to EVER) It is essentially easier for someone to fit an SBR on there person than it is a full sized rifle. Having the ability to purchase and or build a Short barreled weapon without doing the right thing and having a background check done just doesn't add up with me. And as I said, please don't put me on a "liberal" level, I own weapons, I respect weapons, and I do care about being in the right place at the right time with my weapon, but if we can prevent it before it has to get to the level of me taking action, I'm all for it.

14. Jul 5, 2017 at 10:48 PM
    LaRue Shooter

LaRue Shooter "Keep your dick in a vise."

Member:
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    Built up, locked 06 Sport Access Cab
    Trijicon sticker on rear window.
    The stated intention of the law is understandable. But the thought that the type of criminal who is going to conceal a short barreled rifle under a coat actually cares whether or not the law says they can do so or not is just silly. The law only prevents those who respect the rule of law from breaking it.

15. Jul 5, 2017 at 11:02 PM
    crazysccrmd

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    I guarantee I could kill just as many people with a regular full size pistol as I could with an AR15 pistol. There is no background check that will stop someone from doing that if they intend to do so, whether it's a check run for a NFA item or one at the Cabelas gun counter.

Your mindset is all wrong because it places the burden on the law abiding citizens and does nothing to prevent criminals from breaking the law.

16. Jul 5, 2017 at 11:09 PM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    Understandable. I also never said it's a law they have to carry the rifle or pistol under a coat, they can go in guns out, ready to go. But the average criminal is going to want to conceal his intentions before he strikes. Mass shooters are just crazy and it's even crazier they can go to the same gun store as us and purchase the same rifle as us and the very next day they can kill multiple people while I'm sitting on my computer typing away on here...
    I can also understand where you're coming from but my mindset is my mindset. If you think you're going to always be there when shit hits the fan with your rifle, pistol, or pistol AR, please reconsider your thoughts. What burden? How long is an average regular background check when you purchase a rifle or pistol at your local gun shop?

17. Jul 5, 2017 at 11:23 PM
    crazysccrmd

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    If you continue your same line of logic when will we start background checks on alcohol? Nearly the same number of people are killed by DUI accidents as firearm homicides each year. People will die and be killed in any number of ways, a small fraction of those will be with firearms and an even more minuscule portion will be with a rifle. Of that small number of rifles how many will be SBRs or shouldered AR pistols? Few enough that no additional regulations or laws would make a difference in the least.

18. Jul 5, 2017 at 11:32 PM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    Oh I don't want new laws, I want reformed laws, laws that actually make sense and are enforceable in the first place. How is that "line of logic" going to make me wander towards background checks on alcohol? If you look below 30, I'm carding... Alcohol is a completely different subject and cannot be compared to firearms under any circumstances. With that I ask if we can keep it on topic because we're already pushing boundaries with these conversations. With that said, you didn't answer my question about what the average wait time for a simple background check at your local shop was because to me my standard 3 day wait is never a burden and never crosses my mind. Also, just for future reference unless you aren't intentionally avoiding it, you can quote my previous post before you type, makes it easier to read.

19. Jul 5, 2017 at 11:42 PM
    crazysccrmd

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    When I buy a firearm at a shop, which is uncommon, the check usually takes ten minutes and I'm on my way out the door with whatever I'm buying. The majority of my firearms were bought without a background check in various states across the country. I don't see how requiring a 10 month wait to put a stock on an AR pistol is effective at controlling crime in any way. Any person intent on building a SBR to commit crimes will not wait that long, therefore the burden of the law affects only those willing to abide by it in the first place.

The point I was making with the alcohol comment is that there are plenty of common everyday purchases that are more deadly than firearms and require no background checks. If you were serious about wanting to save the lives of your fellow citizens there are far more effective ways to go about that. Ban alcohol, cigarettes, processed foods, etc, not scary guns.

cosmicfires and Bagman like this.
  20. Jul 6, 2017 at 12:07 AM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    The only reason the wait is so long right now is because 41f was implemented which destroyed electronic submission of form 1 and 4. When electronic submission was up and running at its peak, the longest I saw on NFATracker was 3 weeks before the guy got the email saying it was approved and then another few days of waiting for the actual copy to show up in the mail. Some we faster, some were slower, depends on the season. The other reason it's so long is because people thought you-know-who (putting this because this is what will get our conversations deleted, please use other means of expressing political statements or parties when commenting) could have taken office and people got scared and submitted as many as possible before the "end of the world"...
    And there lies the main problem "The majority of my firearms were bought without a background check". If you can do it, so can others, and if those others include the mentally ill and criminals in general, then we have a major issue. I am serious about saving lives, but people would throw a "fit" (just using that term, not meant as offensive) just as major 2A guys and gals have if alcohol was banned, again, cigarettes were illegal, etc. Processed foods are fine as long as they don't have anything harmful that changes mental chemistry and you eat them in moderation. Instead of trying to push and intimidate our views on others, why not go out to an anti gun rally and speak kindly and with respect just as I am doing here? Mind you I'm not anti gun and I have gone to anti gun rallies and actual changed peoples views, maybe not completely, but given them the respect they deserve, and I have gotten it in return.

I don't think either of us will be able to convince each other of their own beliefs so I'm just gonna stop if that's ok with you. We live in completely different worlds. You live with 32k people and I live with 2mil + 43mil average visitors each year, we have a much higher chance of disaster striking here than where you reside and that could stem our different views. I think we can both agree Cali sucks firearm wise, all the laws that Cali possesses suck, it's just a mess there, and we both hope our worlds dont turn out the same. I appreciate the conversation.

Products Discussed in

To Top