1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB Bumper and Stock Suspension?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cooper98, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Nov 27, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    cooper98

cooper98 [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    I do not really care about lifting the truck i just want to make it a bit stouter in front to carry the bumper and a bit stiffer in back to carry feed without it sagging so much. The cheaper the better. Not doing any off roading. Dont want to "invest" much.

2. Nov 27, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    huntark03

huntark03 I'd rather be hunting!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maumelle, AR
    Vehicle:
    2005 Limited Tundra DC 4X4
    Spidertrax Wheel Spacers aFe Pro Dry Drop in Air Filter Weathertech Liners Bilstein 5100s w/ OME 885 coils and ToyTec 1.5" AALs Light Racing UCAs
    If you decide you need to go the factory route...depending on where in Texas you are...I will buy it from you and drive to get it!

BTW...You might try Eibach coils and a 1.5 AAL if you don't have the TSB springs.

3. Nov 27, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    pm Krazie about running an ARB on stock front suspension

4. Nov 27, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    cheehab

cheehab I bleed Black and Gold

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Winter Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
    Yeah I put a 2" AAL in the back

5. Nov 27, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Then good coils and a 1.5 aal would probably get you what you want for the least amount of money, forget blocks and strut spacers, they are a waste of money

6. Nov 27, 2011 at 11:24 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    What " good coils " are you talking about ?

7. Nov 27, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    The 886's i think, the stiffer ones for hanging a front bumper on

8. Nov 27, 2011 at 11:30 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    That's what I said at the beginning and the OP said no to the price .

9. Nov 27, 2011 at 11:31 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    We tried right?

10. Nov 27, 2011 at 11:31 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I cannot argue that .

11. Nov 27, 2011 at 11:46 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    lol i run an arb and i have a 730 pound spring rate on my regular cab and if i where to panic stop my nose would dive a decent amount i can't imagine what it would do to a stock coil but, i wouldn't want to find out first hand.

imo if your going to run the arb one of the main reasons besides increased protection would be to run a winch and then you would absolutely need beefy springs. i just installed a warn m8000 in my bull bar and the winch motor and drum alone weigh dam near as much as the bumper.

i would suggest ome research the topic to death there is plenty of info on tw that should answer most if not all of your questions. i suggested ome due to their robust set-up ie, double walled shocks a full leaf pack and some their specific valving and spring rates designed for fitting that bumper.

that would all make for a very nice lift that would ride nice support the bumper correctly and allow for additional things to be bolted on as well get an idea of what direction your build of this truck is going to go save up and do it right the first time the full ome kit can be had for less money than you think search for the cheapest price get one on sale and do some calling around for prices.

save up for the correct components op then put it all on at once it makes things easier this way installation wise as well. your truck will look bad ass drive nice and have components equal to or greater than stock.

12. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:46 AM
    cooper98

cooper98 [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    So from wht i can gather i need a set of 5100 or replace the front springs. and do an AAL in the back. This is the most effective (cost friendly) way to beef up my truck?

13. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    A full OME set up would be great and it replaces the rear leafs all together, like i said, these rear suspensions on these trucks are not very good, BUT, an AAL is one way to go since you don't plan to haul often.
    You could stay with your stock struts and shocks but I wouldn't recommend it, at some point those stock ones will wear out and since changing springs in the front requires taking the old springs off of the struts anyways, why not replace them with beefier 5100's? Same with the back, you have to pull everything apart to put in an AAL so why not. I did a lot of research and asked a TON of questions before I purchased my set-up and I have a pretty stout suspension at a reasonable cost. I added Firestone Rideright Airbags and have no problem shoveling a half-yard of Noa Rock into the bed of my truck or hauling a 5000lb machine and trailer, two guys plus myself and tools, which i'm about to do in a couple of hours and my truck doesn't sag AT ALL!
    Wheeler's and Downsouth Motorsports are pretty popular vendors here, people seem to like them.
    Good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top