1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB Bumper : Deer Vaporizor/Truck Destroyer

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Creston, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Nov 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    jeverich

jeverich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Or, what if the bumper deflected the deer downward and prevented him from going through the windshield?

The ARB bullbar is designed to catch and deflect the animals torso, sending the mass of the strike off to the sides or under the chassis.

And, he was able to drive away from the accident. Albeit, he was "driving away" in a totaled truck.

Not trying to start a pissing contest - just sayin'.

2. Nov 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    You both make good points... but how about this third option:
    If he had been driving for the conditions, which includes such things as speed limit, weather, time of day and of course time of year; as fall is known well for deer and other large animals crossing the road; especially out in the middle of nowhere. If these factors had been taken into account while driving, then he may not have had to post about the awesomeness of his ARB, or about his truck being written off.

Frank

3. Nov 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    Eldo

Eldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    TRDoffroad Double Cab
    a few
    Frank wins.
    bummer that the truck is written off though.

4. Nov 9, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    jeverich

jeverich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Touché Frank, touché. I agree 100%.

5. Nov 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    TeamLombardo

TeamLombardo WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD Off-Road 4x4
    OME 886x, OME Trim Packer, OME Shocks, Dakars, Toytec Shims, LR UCAs, CB Drop, Demello Sliders, Pelfreybilt Plate Bumper, Warn VR8000-s, RI 20" LED, RI Duallys, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Liners, SS Brake Lines Front/Back, BHLM, Anytime Fogs, CV Boot Mod, 20% Tint, Stubby Antenna, Salex Console Organizer, Derped Grill/Badges
    Oh deer! He got f 'ed up

6. Nov 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    flashsplat

flashsplat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2012 SM 4X4 DC TRD Off Road
    I put gas in it...
    Just curious, did you have time to break at all or did you "follow through" ?

7. Nov 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, All-Pro UCAs, Icon ET Coilovers, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, CBI Sliders, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    That design feature is questionable, unless the grille guard is 5 ft-tall stinger. The Tacoma's hood is higher than most cars'. In this collision, the deer likely would not have come through the windshield even with the stock bumper.

8. Nov 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    If this would have been in an isolated enough area with poor cell phone service in subfreezing temps and few to no other passers by, then it certainly did its job. But all good points indeed.

9. Nov 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    Creston

Creston [OP] Crusty

Member:
    First Name:
    CrustyBushman
    DaBush, Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma sport
    ARB Front bumper. OME suspension with 2.5" lift. Firestone airbag load assist.
    There was no time to brake at all. If my lightforce spotlights had'nt blown a fuse this whole mess probably could've been avoided!
    Also, the XXX should have read KPH not MPH. sorry for the confusion.

10. Nov 12, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    Creston

Creston [OP] Crusty

Member:
    First Name:
    CrustyBushman
    DaBush, Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma sport
    ARB Front bumper. OME suspension with 2.5" lift. Firestone airbag load assist.
    Visited the body shop the other day to have a closer look at the damage.
    The bumber and mounting brackets were not bent at all. the frame horns however were crumpled straight back about an inch. And the tops of the wheel wells were bowed in slightly. The rad cradle and rad and condensing unit were fine and untouched with no leaks. Other than that the truck looked good. (to a guy who doesn't know anything about autobody). But, I'm not gonna buy it back. I need a truck sooner than later.

11. Nov 18, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, stock gears, stock-size tires, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, CB
    Seems to me, the ARB is overbuilt (too strong). I think a good bumper should ABSORB the impact, of a 200-lb deer, not just pass it on to the frame and body. Ideally, the bumper and brackets should be destroyed, saving the frame. Then the total damage would be just sheet metal and the bumper itself. Possibly the air-bags may not have deployed.
    The truck then would likely not be totalled.

Just my humble opinion, here.

Along the same lines, I think most aftermarket skid plates are also overbuilt, much heavier and thicker than they really need to be for recreational offroading. The competition (extreme) guys would need the 3/16" steel, but 1/8" is fine for the rest.

12. Nov 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture .45%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD
    flux capisitor, magnaflow muffler bearing, extra blinker fluid container. 6 inch wide stacks
    ^ do you own a off road bumper?

13. Nov 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, stock gears, stock-size tires, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, CB
    Not on my current truck. I used to have an '84 4runner rock crawler, and did some nasty stuff with it on a regular basis (Rubicon, Fordyce, etc). I had a thin-walled Smittybilt up front that did a good job protecting my front end. The bumper got dented up pretty badly and looked like hell, but the truck was unscathed.

14. Nov 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    I agree, you would need 3/16" plate in that situation. But you would be unlikely to be in that situation in 'recreational wheeling' or using it for hunting. Last year I bought a Skidrow tranny plate. Really strong 3/16" steel. Weighs a ton. A lot heavier and stronger than I need now (just 'retired' from the serious stuff).

15. Nov 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture .45%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD
    flux capisitor, magnaflow muffler bearing, extra blinker fluid container. 6 inch wide stacks

I have a shrockworks with full hoops. How do you think that would hold up in hit like this?

16. Nov 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    Plik

Plik Ragin Cajun

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Click my sig pic for build thread
    You should have that SOB mounted lol

17. Nov 20, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    IgnorantlyAlberta

IgnorantlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 sr5 tacoma rear shock relocate, 35s
    lift, wheels, bumper, rear bumper, intake, front and rear winches, swing tailgate, OBA, sliders.
    Given the various amounts of possible out comes and unpredictability of any deer to vehicle collisions, this argument is invalid.
    Yes a stock vehicle is designed to absorb and deflect as much force as possible to ensure the safety of the occupants in said vehicle or any of the involved vehicles. However this bumper was not designed or engineered specifically for a front end collision or an impact of such.
    As for "recreational" offroading and this bumper being too "over built", I do not quite understand this statement. These bumpers are designed for maximum strength at the "tow" point or winch point. In order to achieve this the bumper was made to be an exstension of the frame itself. Also these bumpers have been designed with a jack point on both sides, in order for this to be possible without an unintended crumple the bumper has been reinforced.
    I do not consider myself to be more than a recreational offroader, though I have utilized every one of these features and in no way, shape or form do I feel this bumper was built inadequately.
    Anyhow, in such an instance and with the unpredictability of something like this, who knows maybe the angle, speed and weight of the deer would have torn the roof off the truck without this bumper. No one here will know for sure but the pics on google sure explain a lot about deer collisions.
    So next time your pulling a buddy out of the mud with you Aries grass wacker and your bumper rips off maybe youll consider a stronger bumper. :D

18. Nov 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    RELLIM

RELLIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    IOWA CITY IA
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACC CAB 4X4 V6 SR5 TRD
    Scan Gauge II, AFE air filter, charcoal intake filter delete Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Alpine iDA-X303, AMS OIL (ENGINE) Bilstein 5100 RHA series
    This is very interesting... I have the same ARB bumper.. Looks like the ARB really did not save the truck.
    Its totaled..

What should be done to fix this problem, or is it not really fixable. I bought the ARB hoping it would save my truck from being totaled by a deer..
    what a let down...

19. Nov 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    Big strong bumpers can't do everything, obviously. Hitting an animal at 100 kph (about 70 mph) is a hell of an impact. As previously pointed out, the truck was still drive-able because of the protection of the bumper. It may have prevented the carcass from flying through the windshield.
    Luckily the air-bags worked :eek: .

20. Nov 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Airaid Short Ram Intake, 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs, 16" Konig Countersteer rims, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    You've obviously never seen what a 140+lb animal at highway speeds does to unprotected vehicles. :rolleyes:

The ARB did it's job.

With magnificence.

To Top