1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB Bumper : Deer Vaporizor/Truck Destroyer

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Creston, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Nov 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    That's what these things are designed for and why I wouldn't own anything else.

2. Nov 21, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    Cadha13

Cadha13 初音ミク #1 Fan, and Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog Cook

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner V6 SR5 Double Cab
    My parent's hit a deer in their 2000 Impala going about 70 MPH on Christmas day, and the repair would have been a bumper, a headlight and some slight fender work. But the insurance totaled it because it cost $1500 to fix. No air bags, no frame damage only some skin on the car and it was still road safe. Then they got a Avalon and never looked back.

If one deer hit a Taco at the same speed, and it caused more damage than that. But the only difference was that a bumper that was much stronger against impact was used, instead of a plastic foam of the Impala. There are strong bumpers that provide the support for recovery and deflection, but the bumper has to absorb most of the impact to save the truck. This bumper failed in that regard. If you had the bumpers off of a 1986 Caprice, they could take a Taco in the rear at 40 MPH and just bend some sheet metal. I think the old bumpers from that era were much better than the ones used today. It's proven by many insurance tests that the old ones worked.

Just my thoughts from many a crash with me inside.

3. Nov 21, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, CBI Sliders, Icon ET Coilovers, aFe Intake, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, All-Pro UCAs, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
  4. Nov 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    sk8rjess

sk8rjess bonafide

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    some duct tape and zip ties
    frame damage doesn't always mean totaled either. nor does airbag deployment, blahblahblah and all the other "myths".

my experience and it wasn't totaled despite frame damage:
    [​IMG]

full thread
    http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183884

5. Nov 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, CBI Sliders, Icon ET Coilovers, aFe Intake, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, All-Pro UCAs, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    ^Of course the frame can be replaced (Toyota was getting good at it with all the rusty frames...), and the Taco's residual value is high. Whether the truck becomes technically totaled becomes an accounting decision for the insurance co. So you plan to repair your truck or to scuttle it?

6. Nov 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    sk8rjess

sk8rjess bonafide

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    some duct tape and zip ties
    me or the OP? that all happened Jan 2012, since has been repaired, good as new(well..)
    [​IMG]

still curious on OPs decision though, or more-less his insurance companies decision lol

7. Nov 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat "Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Nebraska/South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    93 Pickup 4x4 [22R-E] 5MT
    OME suspension, LCE Performance parts, Konigs, etc. [see build]
    Nice truck, I like that TG bumper on yours :thumbsup:

8. Nov 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    RELLIM

RELLIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    IOWA CITY IA
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACC CAB 4X4 V6 SR5 TRD
    Scan Gauge II, AFE air filter, charcoal intake filter delete Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Alpine iDA-X303, AMS OIL (ENGINE) Bilstein 5100 RHA series
    Very true...becuse the air bags went off and the frame is twisted bla bla bla doesn't mean its totaled, can happen and it can be fixed or complete

9. Nov 26, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    RELLIM

RELLIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    IOWA CITY IA
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACC CAB 4X4 V6 SR5 TRD
    Scan Gauge II, AFE air filter, charcoal intake filter delete Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Alpine iDA-X303, AMS OIL (ENGINE) Bilstein 5100 RHA series
    Complete rebuilt.. if the ins co totalled it, its lost over half the value it was before the accident. If you buy it back from the ins co and rebuild the truck you will have to sign a damage disclosure that there was more than 2k of damage Done to the vehice. When you sell, if u sell it you would have to tell the dealer or buyer about the damage disclosure by law.

Ive rolled a Colorado before and it was totalled, bought back from the ins co , rebuilt it drove it for another 40 k and traded it for my tacoma.. I did not get the 9k the truck was worth if it had not been totalled, instead I got 3k..

So this why I say the Arb did not save the taco. The ins.co totalled it. Sure ya can rebuild it from the ground up, but ya might as well make it a hobby truck. It will never resale high, and by law the next owner will know about the damage.

So Yeah I've rolled trucks and set them on a fours and continued to drive it without major engine work..
    And I know what fuckin deer to vehicles, I've hit many in my driving career, I've hit 3 with two stock Toyota bumpers and none so far with the Arb ....

Maybe now you see where I stand....?

10. Dec 14, 2012 at 3:25 AM
    FEARFACT

FEARFACT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    03 double cab 4x4
    coilovers,33s etc
    I just cleaned out a buck at 45.. My allpro tube didn't flinch, only damage is a turn signal.. And this bumper is way leas expensive that an arb!

11. Dec 14, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat "Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Nebraska/South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    93 Pickup 4x4 [22R-E] 5MT
    OME suspension, LCE Performance parts, Konigs, etc. [see build]
    I don't think speed is the only factor here. Hitting the animal square on or deflecting his rear a little, the size of the animal, if he was standing there like a derp haha or running etc . . . and of course how fast you're going. People seem to hit deer every other weekend here in the Dakotas and you can see varying damage from similar sized deer on roads with same posted speed (assuming people are within 5-10 of that as a constant). Simply stating that "I hit a deer once and had less damage" doesn't really account for many factors. Just something to consider before we start claiming what bumpers are better off of one deer strike each. Now I'm totally behind the "conceptual" here, and saying a bumper that gives a little, like crumple zones on a car, could have it's perks. Just didn't want to see three or four bumpers that have been in one singular deer strike a piece compared as if that means anything at all.

12. Dec 14, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    jdk52

jdk52 Bro do you even 'Merica?

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    11 SR5
    3 inch OME lift kit, rear diff breather mod, cb install, sliders, brute force fab front end.
    I almost smoked an elk the other day with my brute force....I bet the bumper kept the deer from going through your windscreen though.

13. Dec 16, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    El TacoBender

El TacoBender Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    always moving
    Vehicle:
    '03 taco sr5,4x4,v6
    -K&N CAI
    hey creston that arb bumper is freaking sweet!!! but does it effect your gas mileage a noticeable amount or very minimal amount?

14. Dec 17, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    Creston

Creston [OP] Crusty

Member:
    First Name:
    CrustyBushman
    DaBush, Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma sport
    ARB Front bumper. OME suspension with 2.5" lift. Firestone airbag load assist.
    Very minimal. You wont even notice it.

15. Dec 17, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    Creston

Creston [OP] Crusty

Member:
    First Name:
    CrustyBushman
    DaBush, Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma sport
    For those who were curious, the truck just sold at auction for $6100.00!
    I recently bought a 2007 Tundra, and going to look at a 94 4Runner for beating around the bush. Bye bye Tacoma.

16. Dec 17, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    Creston

Creston [OP] Crusty

Member:
    First Name:
    CrustyBushman
    DaBush, Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma sport
    Thinking of selling my ARB bumper. What do you guys think it's worth? It is in very good shape.

17. Dec 17, 2012 at 1:24 PM
    El TacoBender

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    always moving
    Vehicle:
    '03 taco sr5,4x4,v6
    -K&N CAI
    ill take you up on the offer for a good price?

18. Dec 22, 2012 at 1:01 AM
    IgnorantlyAlberta

IgnorantlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 sr5 tacoma rear shock relocate, 35s
    lift, wheels, bumper, rear bumper, intake, front and rear winches, swing tailgate, OBA, sliders.
    Well it looks as though I got to try my ARB bumper out tonight. Just had a header with a 2005 altima. Well more of a glancing blow I guess.
    Taking a left hand turn to clear the intersection when the light turned red and this guy couldnt stop on the ice. All are ok no more than a little shaken. You can see here that he took all of the damage. I will be going in for an alignment to solve any other issues. I took most of the hit on the left side of my bumper and left wheel. Had to pull pieces of his car out of the bead on my tire.
    Just a reminder to keep it safe over the holidays.
    IMG00747-20121221-1916.jpg

IMG00746-20121221-1916.jpg

19. Dec 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    El TacoBender

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    always moving
    Vehicle:
    '03 taco sr5,4x4,v6
    -K&N CAI
    how much does that arb bumper weigh?

20. Dec 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    IgnorantlyAlberta

IgnorantlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 sr5 tacoma rear shock relocate, 35s
    lift, wheels, bumper, rear bumper, intake, front and rear winches, swing tailgate, OBA, sliders.
    With a Warn M8000 Id say mine weighs 225lbs at most. Took 2 of my buddies to hold it in place while I bolted it on.

To Top