1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB Bumper with body lift

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Phisherman162, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Aug 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    Phisherman162

Phisherman162 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 2.7 4X4 w/ body lift
    Body lift, debadged
    I have a 98 taco with a 3" BL. I need to install my new ARB bumper, but I know I will have to do some modification. The install kit for this bumper came with some blocks that are for mounting the bumper on the 03 rig (I think). The blocks are for shorter frames. What I am wondering is if I can weld the blocks onto the top part of my frame, do a little gusseting, then mount the bumper to the welded blocks.

Please do not start in with the BL cracks. I like my body lift and I don't want to argue about it.

2. Aug 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    are you running a winch or going to in the future???if so i would wouldnt raise the bumper unless you really reinforce the hell out of the mounting brackets

3. Aug 2, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    Phisherman162

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 2.7 4X4 w/ body lift
    Body lift, debadged
    reinforce the mounting brackets where?

4. Aug 2, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    Phisherman162

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 2.7 4X4 w/ body lift
    Body lift, debadged
    What it looks like is I will have to install the mounting brackets above the frame instead of below the frame. I will also have to sister in another piece on top of the existing frames so I can bolt into the end of that. I can use the blocks that came as "frame extenders" for the 2002 2003 tacoma.

I called ARB and they recommended I cut up the crush cans and weld them back together. That seems like a bad idea. I would much rather add additional stuff to the frame to make it work then start cutting apart stuff on the airbag compliant part of the assembly.

Does anyone have pictures of them mounting the bumper on a rig with a body lift?

5. Aug 2, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    STLharry

STLharry Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeti Rescue Package with 240k miles
    '95-'97 camouflaged, ARB bull bar, RAT Products skid plate kit, sliders, Green Mountain Customs rear tube bumper and overland bed rack, King coilovers with Icon neoprene covers, defenestrated sway bar, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs + AAL/5125 shocks/NWOR greasable hardware/U-bolt flip kit; S13WL Tundra calipers/pads/rotors, IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W lights, clapped out CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor, Superwinch S9000 with 12V Guy clock switch, 4' Hi-Lift, deckplate mod/grey wire mod/dif breather extensions, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, boat cupholder, Dakine bike pad
    Sorry, wish I could help, but I have never dealt with body lifts. If ARB recommended you cut them then go ahead I guess. Otherwise good luck.

6. Aug 12, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    whitaco

whitaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Northern, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD white with a touch of badass.
    K&N cold air, Harris throttle body spacer, westin bull bar, chrome mirrors, rainguards, bugflector, 20% tint. Borla cat back, weathertec, ome complete lift with dakar leaf packs, light racing UCA's and a toytec add an inch shackle, 33x12.5 15 BFG KM2's. Procomp 15x10's with 3.75" backspacing, carpet dash cover, tint visor, PIAA off road lights, aftermarket tail and headlights, smittybuilt nerf bars stainless
    I have a 3" body lift and was hoping to get some input on this as well. Keep me posted :)

7. Nov 18, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    Phisherman162

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 2.7 4X4 w/ body lift
    Body lift, debadged
    So what I ended up doing was welding the crush cans and brackets onto the top of the frame. The body list is exactly the same height as the end of the frame. Instead of mounting it with bolts and screws, I just welded it all four sides, nice and deep. I will be adding gussets when I get a new winch. The warn I had wont fit into this bumper! I will post some pics when bear season is over. Truck was still covered in dear season mud when I went elk hunting. Course, fall chinook after bear season, then we roll into winter steelhead...

To Top