1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB front bumper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacovic, May 9, 2010.

1. May 9, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    tacovic

tacovic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    alright well an ARB bumper just popped up on craigslist for 600 bucks. ive always loved the arb bumpers. now im just trying to decide if my needs justify buying a 600 dollar aftermarket bumper. the main reason i would like one would be for protection from deer. i drive in high population deer areas alot and would hate to hit one and cause damage. so by getting the bumper it would be a preventative mod. the other reason would be for offroading. although i dont go alot, i would like to go more. plus its just badass. but ive got some questions.
    -will my stock suspension be alright? i dont want to nosedive while braking or have a front sag.
    -how do the airbags still work with the bumper?
    -how safe is it? i read that if you get into a front collision with the bumper the driver is going to "feel" it alot more than a regular bumper.
    -and lastly, do YOU think my needs justify buying the bumper?

the truck it will be going on is a 2000 ext cab v6 trd.:cool:

2. May 9, 2010 at 5:53 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    do it dude, thats probably the cheapest you'll ever find. Ive seen ARBs take a lot of damage overseas (Afghanistan) and they are a great investment. The aussies design them with animal impacts in mind. Our front bumpers are great against shopping carts and the occasional pedestrian, but thats about it.

3. May 9, 2010 at 5:56 AM
    tacovic

tacovic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    ya im going to call him today and see if he will take 500. i do have about 2 grand layin around from selling my previous car but its hard to spend money on my truck when i can hardly afford college.

4. May 9, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    I can totally appreciate that, Im in college my self and just bought (finally) an OME 3" lift w/dakar rear leafs and 886 coilovers, ARB bumper, and TC UCA's. it was my congrats on making it a year out of the navy and not going back. The hit to by bank was tough to justify, but Ive been drooling over this for almost 2 years.

5. May 9, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Airaid Short Ram Intake, 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs, 16" Konig Countersteer rims, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My $600 ARB.

Stock suspension is fine. It's sagged about an inch from without the bumper, but actual driving, I haven't noticed a difference turning or stopping with regards to nosediving.

When you install the ARB and you see the stock bumper underneath the plastic you'll be so much happier you did.

Buy it. Buy it now.

6. May 9, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    A couple of things to think about...
    1. Gas mileage will be worse (I lost between 1 and 2 mpg after installing my all pro front bumper and skid plate). I'm tracking my mileage and, unfortunately, the drop is real.
    2. Brakes will not last as long. More weight to stop will eat up pads/rotors faster.
    3. Front shocks will not last as long. All that weight in front of your tires puts "weird" loading on the stock suspension components. The stock shocks are just fine for the weight balance on the stock truck and driving around town, but when you go off road and add all that extra weight in front of the shocks... well just expect to be replacing the shocks soon (and get UCA's, and rear suspension and...)

Keep all that in mind if you're on a fixed college student budget.

7. May 9, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    MGRS

MGRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 6spd TRD 4x4
    You will definitely need a new front suspension. You may be OK for a while, but your coils will be screaming. I am running an ARB with 5100s set to 1.75." The hub to fender flare measurement is now 1.5" lower than with the factory rubbermaid bumper.

8. May 9, 2010 at 3:10 PM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    its under the 2 gen and he has a 1st gen ...

To Top