1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

**ARB LOCKER**

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by sandman427, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Oct 1, 2010 at 11:15 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    no... LSD is limited slip so by definition it allows the wheels to spin a different speeds. When one wheel spins it engages a clutch which supllies some power to the spinning wheel.

An auto locker allows enough of a speed difference that the outside wheel can spin spin just slightly faster than the inside wheel when going around corners. When one wheel spins faster than the other there are no clutches but a mechanism that locks the other wheel transfering equal power with no slippage. If the outside wheel speed is too great the inside wheel will lock to the outside wheels speed,where in a lsd there is a clutch to allow slippage. an auto-locker can be very clunky and be a pain when turning tight (like turning at a light or making a u-turn) which is why i feel streetability will take a hit...

2. Oct 2, 2010 at 12:10 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    this is great vid thanks..!!!
    right on thanks.... y dont other companies utilize this as apposed to a push button??

3. Oct 2, 2010 at 12:15 AM
    eight3one_offroad

eight3one_offroad Honey your two French Fries short of a Happy Meal.

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4 with a few things.
    Optima Red Top 34R, OME 885 / N140S + 5100 rear, TSB leaf pack, Camburg Ball Joint UCA, Wheelers Diff drop, AEM Brute Force Intake with filter wrap, Summit Super Turbo muffler, Llumar 5% tint, Pioneer single din head unit, PIAA 510 Ion Crystal Fogs in stock location, Sonar LED tails. Sway Bar removal. Charcoal filter delete. Stant 11509 Locking Gas Cap.
    No problem Amir, are you going to do some rock crawling?

4. Oct 2, 2010 at 12:31 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    ehhh i was thinking of trying the HAmmers at MOAB lol Just messing.... the locker is something that i have come to realize that is a gift among us 2wd Prerunner dudes.... and from the video and my research anyone who is 2wd should be locked for almost "any" off road usage....

5. Oct 2, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You'll never see a 'lunchbox' locker as a standard item in any vehicle.

6. Oct 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    So I am about to order and pull the trigger this Saturday... I just wanted to get some peoples insight about the ARB locker and what are the does and don't when locking the rear... Any insight would help...

7. Oct 6, 2010 at 10:28 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    FYI not all auto lockers are "lunchbox"...just saying

many eaton/detroit autolockers are full carrier/ no slip type lockers

8. Oct 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM
    YumaTRD

YumaTRD The Church Of @ODNAREM San Diego Chapter 1904

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Solid Axle Yota
    Locked, Flat bed, 22R 5 speed, BFG KO2's
  9. Oct 7, 2010 at 1:51 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    thanks bud.. ay and congrats again on your marriage !!!!

10. Oct 7, 2010 at 1:51 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    yes it is....

11. Oct 7, 2010 at 1:54 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    and can u lock the rear while still pushing on the gas...??? or do u have to put it in park or neutral then let it engage and then go..???

12. Oct 7, 2010 at 4:06 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Lunchbox lockers are 'spider gear' replacements only. Carrier replacements are not referred to as 'lunchbox lockers' (atleast, that's how it was when I used to wheel years ago).

13. Oct 7, 2010 at 4:10 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Yes.....

Prime example.... my husband and I had two ARB's on our Jeep. We've done this several times where you're climbing an extreme hillclimb. We'd engage the rear ARB or none at all and give it a whirl. When you get 3/4 of the way up and start spinning, you're sitting there spinning the tires, reach down, hit the button to engage the front or rear ARB (while still on the gas while still spinning on the hill) and it'll engage and get you to the top.

I will say....we always run in 4lo and the speed at which I'm referring to...IS NOT full bore. Maybe at a 20-25mph pace. I've never attempted to engage it going any faster than that. So - just be careful and use it wisely.

Make sure your rear diff breather is clear. If that diff breather ever clogs and the diff can't breathe, it'll blow out the ARB seals first. Route the tubing & things away from obstructions and leave enough slack so it doesn't pull and cause kinks, etc. If you ever need to protect the air lines in certain spots from chaffing (so to speak), get a larger diameter hose - cut a slit down the side and wrap the ARB line with that and use ty-wraps. Keep air lines away from heat sources (exhaust, transmission, etc).

14. Oct 7, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock

thats what i was saying... Eaton/ Detroit are not lunchbox lockers because they are full carriers. I was just stating that not all auto lockers are lunchbox lockers...

having one wheel spin faster than another wheel and engaging the locker is a good way to hurt something. I broke an axle on the 44 on my K5 doing that...

15. Oct 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    Ohhh... I have heard of the ARB seals breaking but will what is the likeliness of that happening... Do u think that is more pron to happen on a PRErunner ??

16. Oct 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    kinkrider101

kinkrider101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    santa barbara
    Vehicle:
    2007 cummins/2007 tacoma
    wheels and tires
    lsd is so worthless..i hade one weel in the air and that one wheel that was not touching the ground was just spinning,so i was stuck! I HATE YOU!!! ITS A 4X1

17. Oct 7, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    kinkrider101

kinkrider101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    santa barbara
    Vehicle:
    2007 cummins/2007 tacoma
    wheels and tires
  18. Oct 7, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Ours were installed years ago (like...back in 01) and from what I heard back then, the seals were defective - we had them replaced for free. The causes of them leaking or breaking could be from faulty installation (twisting/kinking), faulty seals (unlikely), or too much pressure in the diff (clogged diff breather).

Bad seals won't necessarily prevent the locker from working. It'll still function and engage/disengage normally. So no worries there...(for the most part).

With ours, the only way we knew the seals were shot, were when diff oil starts spewing out of the exhaust port on the ARB solenoids. It was our rear diff that had the problem. The front was flawless.

19. Oct 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    You can't blame the ARB for breaking your axle. When you're locked - that's the nature of the beast. Everything has a higher potential to break faster & easier.

When you're offroad - you need to recognize potential risks in the terrain that breakage could occur - and you need to adapt to prevent it.

It's all about the drivers decision making process. Any breakage that occurs, occurs from not making the right decisions.

20. Oct 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    Good point....

Products Discussed in

To Top