1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Archery Talk

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by -TRDMAN-, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Oct 17, 2020 at 4:28 PM
    StayinStock

StayinStock Skittles; fruity yet taste like chicken

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR
    Some
    I'm not the best hunter in the world, hell, I'm not even a good one...but I do know how to hunt the wind.
    One of my buddies can't seem to figure it out after 20+ years of hunting. This morning he text where he was hunting, which you must access from west and walk east. West wind this morning. So I said, '"prolly won't see anything". He was like, "why"?. I said because the wind is at your back the whole time you're walking in. Guess what? Yep, nothingo_O

2. Oct 17, 2020 at 4:34 PM
    JTFisherman

JTFisherman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Texas / Missouri
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    Yep I kinda figured so much when I got set up. Wind was good the whole walk in the when I get up to hunting height it is blowing the opposite way :bananadead: I’m up probably 60 feet above the flat I’m overlooking so I was hoping my scent would stay above it but judging from what I have seen my guess is it did not.

3. Oct 17, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    Jake91

Jake91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Detroit
    You like that harness? It’s a saddle harness right?

4. Oct 17, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    JTFisherman

JTFisherman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Texas / Missouri
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    Yep it is a Cruzr XC. I am a pretty big fan so far but I only have a few hours in it. I hunt out of a homemade saddle the past couple years and figured I would try this one out in hopes I would like it even more.

I’ll have to wait a few weeks to really tell how I like it because I like to sit down in them and brace my knees against the tree instead of just leaning into it like I am here but I scraped up half my leg playing softball and it is just about unbearable to brace my left knee against the tree currently.

edit: best part is the weight for long hikes on public. For me to get up to around 22’ high to me feet my climbing gear (saddle, tether, lineman’s belt etc) is 12 ish lbs and depending on how you climb you can knock that down by another 5.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  5. Oct 18, 2020 at 5:35 AM
    rtkbowhunter

rtkbowhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Quad Cab SR5

Last weekend my son is hunting one our new spots. It's a narrow pinch point at the eastern end of a 200 acre soybean field. Now our winds are typically anywhere from the NW to SW this time of year. This spot is perfect because they can't get downwind. Well they can when they are coming up a steep hill, then it's only 20 yards to the field edge. Scent passes way overhead. Trail cam shows a shit ton of activity. Anyhow, about 3:45pm he sees a guy walking thru the field about 30 yards out. My son tries to get his attention to let him know he's hunting there. Guy stop gives my son a ration of shit. He climbs down and walks out just to let him know his stand is there and it also not a could idea to walk THRU the field and set up upwind from where the deer come out. Guy says that don't matter, it's too early for the deer to come out. Son replies, "Your scent lingers and you're basiclly screwing up this entire field." Guy tells my son to get back in his treestand or he was going to pound his ****ing face.

Asshole sets up on the upwind side of the field. Every deer that entired fed until they hit his scent stream. Noses came up, tails came up, and off they went. Thanks asshole. We did loop around to the only other way out of the farm and parked in a pull off. Son sat on the tailgate, playing on his phone. Asshole stopped to give him a ration of shit. I did have a conversation with him. Not about his piss poor hunting methods, but about his other less than acceptable interpersonal relationship skills. It was very one sided. I don't think he much cared for it.

6. Oct 18, 2020 at 5:57 AM
    StayinStock

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR
    Some
    It's a shame that people can be shitty like that.

7. Oct 18, 2020 at 6:36 AM
    Dangerdave

Dangerdave Official TW jeep representative

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    Wow.. good for you and your son for keeping your cool. I’m not sure I’d have the capacity to show the same restraint.

I’ve met some idiots on public land, but for the most part haven’t met anyone blatantly disrespectful or the run of the mill asshole.

8. Oct 18, 2020 at 6:46 AM
    Jake91

Jake91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Detroit
    That’s not bad. I was wondering how comfortable it would be to sit as you said. I use a rock climbing harness and it is almost the same, but probably less comfortable to sit in because of how it pulls the knees together. The sitting strength is in the back of the legs, not the butt. And I can’t comfortable sit against a tree. So I basically have a harness that I use to sit in a tree stand. But I think I should convert to one system. Because I can’t just pick any tree and hauling gear in and out is irritating.

9. Oct 18, 2020 at 6:52 AM
    Jake91

Jake91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Detroit
    that sucks, like they said, good for keeping your cool, but maybe next time head back earlier and pull the valve stems out of all four tires. It’s just a kind way of saying.. “you wasted our time, now I’ll waste yours”. Lol

I had a guy in az when I was hunting coyote in a valley. He drove past my truck in the valley, him and his two buddies get out and start walking. The call is going and I can hear his friend say, “do you think they are hunting here?”
    Response “yeah there up there somewhere” then Proceeds to hunt quail right in my valley. Ruined our hunt. I wish I’d pulled the stems on that one. Effin people suck sometimes.

hopefully he didn’t ruin that spot for you next time.

10. Oct 18, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    Taco-Grinder

Taco-Grinder It's all part of the adventure.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Few years back I took a day of vacation to hunt. The wind was not what the weather said it be. After 10 minutes of complaining my wife told me shut up and get out and hunt. She said, " it's the rut, the bucks get stupid, now get out there."
    So I'm walking out my stand thinking what does she know.
    45 min later I'm back in the house. She says," whats wrong now."
    I said," nothing, I just got an 8 pointer."

11. Oct 18, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    buckhuntin-tacoma

buckhuntin-tacoma Shed hunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Quincy IL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica Tacoma DCLB
    4 inch lift - complete blackout, n-fab step bars, Black Horse bull bar, 20 inch light bar, anytime fog lights, added led day running lights, Fuel wheels and Falken Wildpeak tires ,custom fit seat covers, Gatorback mud gaurds
    My buddy and I and some other local landowners have a little contest each year, I think there’s 28 in the contest. This is this year’s first entry, it scores 167 2/8.3A513C45-C224-4A2D-B26C-7EDF2510A3B1.jpgCB800C73-46E3-4E37-8A95-161E708F6976.jpg

12. Oct 18, 2020 at 11:21 AM
    buckhuntin-tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Quincy IL
    Vehicle:
    4 inch lift - complete blackout, n-fab step bars, Black Horse bull bar, 20 inch light bar, anytime fog lights, added led day running lights, Fuel wheels and Falken Wildpeak tires ,custom fit seat covers, Gatorback mud gaurds
    For all of you guys hunting public land, I applaud you. I wouldn’t want to be in that position year after year. Though it’s not cheap by any means, there’s no better feeling than owning your own land. We also have some hunting leases, but they can disappear at any time. Having said that, we still have a fair amount of bullshit to put up with such as outfitters and annoying neighbors. At the end of the day I will always be guaranteed a place to hunt, again... I appreciate the drive and determination you public land hunters have.

13. Oct 18, 2020 at 11:33 AM
    StayinStock

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR
    Some
    That's a good first entry!

:hattip:

14. Oct 18, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    1buzzbait

1buzzbait easiest to ignore

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    murrilin
    Vehicle:
    98 yamaha grizzly - 2002 tin boat
    he dont like you, or your property. so never, ever, never, give him an invite..

15. Oct 18, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    buckhuntin-tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Quincy IL
    Vehicle:
    Well the turkey’s are moving, I hope the deer are too!D835D00C-53F0-4546-A1A6-981F8F26E53B.jpg

16. Oct 18, 2020 at 1:27 PM
    buckhuntin-tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Quincy IL
    Vehicle:
    First 3 customers today. Now 562A574CE-6C4D-4D56-8775-E7B2AEE77F6C.jpg

17. Oct 18, 2020 at 2:16 PM
    rtkbowhunter

Member:
    Southeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Quad Cab SR5
    Yeah...welll srew all you guys that are bowhunting!! Had plans to hunt yesterday afternoon and hang a new stand today. Well shit went south yesterday. Son was using my truck to go on a dinner date with his soon to be "she who must be obeyed." Go out to start up the Jeep. Click. Nothing. Lights light, all accessories work. FML.... Battery checks out. Starter relay is clicking. Swap it anyhow...that one clicks to. Take a hot directly from the + battery to the 12V ignition connector. Turns over. Ain't the starter Pull the ignition line off the starter, hook it to a voltmeter, ground the other side. Turn the key, should read 12V, reads 0. OK...its either the wiring from the ifgnition or the ignition actuator. Rip the steering column apart. Pull the actuator. Little die cast POS that connects to the ignition swith is broke. Run to Advanced, pick up a new one. Put it in, pain in the dick keeping everything lined up. Rotate the key back and forth a couple of times and it jams. Pull it apart, yup, broke. Back to Advanced. They don't have another one, but they have nine in a store 8 miles away. Run down there, exchange it. Get home, take extra special care to make everyhting is aligned. And after turning the key a few times while trying to get the ignition switch pressed on, all my dash lights are on. *Sigh*. Screw around some more, finally get the switch on. Bolt switch in place, rotate key off, dash lights go off. Cool. Turn it to start and the bitch rumbled right up. Fuck you Wrangler, Fuck you and die. I missed an afternoon of bowhunting and that's not something that's easily forgivable. I dont care how many college girls flash me because I have the top down....Keep that shit up and I'll sell you for what I paid for you. No, I wont.

Now excuse me while I finish off the rest of my Woodford Reserve.

18. Oct 18, 2020 at 2:24 PM
    Jake91

Jake91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Detroit
    Wait... you get flashed because you drive a jeep with the top down?

19. Oct 18, 2020 at 2:27 PM
    rtkbowhunter

Member:
    Southeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Quad Cab SR5

Benefits of driving thru a college town frequently.

20. Oct 18, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    buckhuntin-tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Quincy IL
    Vehicle:
    A little 8 just strolled by.0BDDCE3C-D105-4547-8DC6-22DFCDB2430F.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top