1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are Access and Truxedo soft roll up tonneau secure?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by JonF, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Jul 14, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    JonF

JonF [OP] Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    I'm looking at these types of tonneau's because they are easy to "stow on the fly" (unlike folding covers) and do not intrude into the bed space (unlike hard roll up covers). I use my bed to haul my motorcycle so i need every inch of space up to the front of the bed and some covers are either not meant to be removed and intrude into precious bed space.

My tailgate has a lock and i know these covers have a latch, but since they are vinyl, what about the security of the cover itself? I understand these have some sort of cross-bow supports but the mfg web sites do not really go into detail on how exactly the supports are integrated in. Are there just 2-3 to keep the fabric from sagging or are they continuous and adjacent from front to back (think venetian blinds)? Continuous would be better from a security standpoint since it would be harder to cut a hole if theres bars all along the way.

2. Jul 14, 2009 at 10:49 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    My access cover has 2 - 1'' round cross supports. Not exactly what I would term secure but the cover can not be opened without having access thru the tailgate.

3. Jul 14, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    They aren't a hard cover so they can be cut thru or torn off. They aren't hard to get thru...but they are more protection than nothing...

4. Jul 14, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    I have a Bak Flip G2. It's a hard cover that cannot be opened until you open the tailgate. It flips up against the back of the cab, completely out of the way, or you can easily remove it by undoing two knobs.

5. Jul 14, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
  6. Jul 14, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Secure only in the "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" way, but in that way they work very well.

7. Jul 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    JonF

JonF [OP] Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Well, i called both companies and apparently neither have any models with continuous bows embedded in the fabric. Both products have 2-3 small bows only leaving entire tonneau pretty much pure fabric succeptable to a knife cut. I'll just have to consider other types of more secure covers.

8. Jul 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...The backflip is probably your best bet then- If you are in an area where someone cutting into your tonneau will go un-noticed- You need a hard cover.

9. Jul 14, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Exactly... out of sight-out of mind. The tailgate lock is just a deterant.

I have an Advantage Torza Top and it's a soft cover that folds. It doesn't have snaps or ridges that you can peel out. The bows are part of the fabric (so to speak). I have a pop-n-lock also.

Any soft cover can get cut open if someone wants in there bad enough.

Products Discussed in

To Top