1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARE CX Revo - Solid Side Window

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by nl_tacoma, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Oct 21, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    TAbbott

TAbbott Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Naples, FL
    Does anybody have info on how to adjust? I told the shop I'm not happy. They told me today they needed almost 6 hours to install because ARE didn't send instructions. They said they are checking how to fix it. I'd love to be able to tell them what to do. The gap is unacceptable. Also, I know this is documented on youtube but the quality of the aluminum framed window install is terrible. I know they think it's fine though so I just want my rear hatch to close properly.

2. Oct 22, 2019 at 4:45 AM
    eyespy

eyespy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Silverado
    ARE topper
    see what your installer comes up with. my place does ARE toppers all the time so it isn't a problem. sounds like your installer does not do many ARE's. you do have a nice looking truck! I think the topper looks good on it. without more pictures it is hard to know what isn't fitting right for you. there looks like a large gasket or something that isn't right, but I can't tell for sure. look at the pictures others have posted and compare. or we can send more pictures of our toppers if you need. TG

3. Oct 22, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    Csbryan1

Csbryan1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno OR DCSB
    I just ordered a CX Evolve yesterday with sliding windoors, I’m also worried about the gap on the rear glass. Have you been able to find a fix or would you recommend me changing my order to a different topper. Thanks

4. Oct 22, 2019 at 10:19 AM
    TAbbott

TAbbott Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Naples, FL
    Installer contacted ARE and said they shared a picture of the gap. They tell me ARE says this is normal. Asked if they have any instructions how to adjust the hinges. They said they cant adjust the hinges. I said not cool. Installer is contacting the local rep or something. We'll see. I think I'll probably have to do it myself. Inside the cap, the hinge assemblies have adjustment screws that will let you essentially rotate the assembly such that the top of the glass will be slightly higher and it will fit. Just dont want to break or crack any of the fiberglass or glass as then it will become MY problem. Keep you posted.

And CSbryan1: I like the top but doing it over I think I would just get a Z

5. Oct 22, 2019 at 11:09 AM
    Csbryan1

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno OR DCSB
    10/4 TAbbott, thanks for the response. I’m thinking I may just change mine to the CX classic, the framed door doesn’t look terrible and I know it will be harder to get into for someone wanting to take a look. Disappointing about the Evolve, i really like the features of that cap!

6. Oct 22, 2019 at 1:05 PM
    TAbbott

TAbbott Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Naples, FL
    IMG_2397.jpg IMG_2397.jpg IMG_2398.jpg IMG_2399.jpg IMG_2396.jpg

Uploaded the full size images so you can see. You can see the 7/8" gap. Furthermore you can see how the mounted closing brackets are in the proper location yet the wear pattern shows that the hatch clasps at the very bottom. The picture of the weatherstrip sticking out of the top of the closed hatch and the adjustability of the bolts holding the glass to the hinges shows room to adjust. I have decided to wait for the dealer to adjust these because I don't want to break the glass and get stuck with the bill but I think it is fully possible to adjust. I'm not sure what manuals the dealer receives from ARE but I think they are capable of the adjustment. If only we could just call the manufacturer.

NatesTaco718 likes this.
  7. Oct 22, 2019 at 2:36 PM
    1992SR5V6

1992SR5V6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 Cement
    Bolt on only...
    I just bought a Leer 100XQ, while I didn't have any of the problems you guys are having with ARE, installation was a little off. I unbolted the shell, seated the rear door snug with the weatherstripping, and shifted the shell on the bed. Fitment is much better now. Mine was installed in less then 90 minutes including wiring, I just think it takes longer to check and double check all the fitment points and get it in the best possible position.

8. Oct 22, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    eyespy

eyespy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Silverado
    ARE topper
    I also am posting some more pictures. I'm showing the compressible rubber gaskets, vertical and hollow horizontal (on the bottom of the door). It was getting dark after work so not the best pictures. I also have some wear on the D-rings. TG

IMG_0076.jpg IMG_0077.jpg IMG_0080.jpg IMG_0081.jpg

9. Oct 23, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    Csbryan1

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno OR DCSB
    Well guys, after talking to my local dealer, seeing all of this, and some internet readers have. I canceled my ARE CX Evolve order. Instead I changed to a LEER 100xr, with vented/ sliding windoors. It was quite a bit more expensive but hopefully the quality will match the price tag!

10. Oct 23, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    TurboFire10

TurboFire10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro
    ARE Revo, RCI rock sliders
    Nothing wrong with writing off ARE. Just remember the bad experiences are coming from the installers not knowing what they are doing. ARE themselves have made a quality product, if installed right!

cashkenny likes this.
  11. Oct 23, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    TAbbott

TAbbott Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Naples, FL
    I would like to respond that although ARE has gotten better with paint and shell fitment seems to be fine they must not have a quality control department. Attention to detail and overall refinement is terrible. Window install (both urethane and aluminum framed) is garbage. Fit and finish of hardware and components? Garbage. The fact that you can’t call them with questions and have to go through a dealer? Garbage. I wanted a top so I got one but wouldn’t it be nice if you could actually learn real information and see pricing and hold the company to higher standards before buying a product?

12. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:26 PM
    Csbryan1

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno OR DCSB
    You see! This is exactly what I have been hearing and why I finally just ordered a Leer. I have never dealt with ARE so I can not complain. But hearing comments like this just make it very hard for me to trust what I’m spending my $$$ on.

13. Dec 9, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    outsideplease

outsideplease Active Member

Member:
    I've had three tacomas all with ARE shells, the MX model. All have had issues with the latches, where they just grind away and the top window hatch falls off! Also I have had issues with leakage. (I know, why do you keep getting these?) I was interested in the CX because it seems the latches were more beefy, but now it seems I was mistaken after reading through these threads. Yes, I do use my truck like a truck should be used. Also they DO NOT warrantee anything but the fiber glass shell itself....go figure....what can go wrong with fiberglass. They don't warrantee any moving parts. Because they just don't hold up! I'll keep shopping for a new improved shell.

14. Jan 13, 2020 at 1:49 PM
    CorBillionaire

CorBillionaire Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road - Barcelona Red
    What does the compression boot look like and where do you get one? I just received my Revo on Friday and my dealer didn't offer this feature.

My topper also has a horrendous gap between the rear window and the tailgate to the point where I can fit my hand in. The dealer told me it was normal and there was nothing they could do which left me quite frustrated. After reading this thread I'm going to see if they can adjust it.

To add insult to injury the dealer talked me into getting an A.R.E over a Leer 100XR because of the "Sleek and refined look of the frameless rear window". If I knew it would be super flimsy and actually look terrible I would have reconsidered...

I'll post some photos once I get better lighting.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  15. Jan 13, 2020 at 2:30 PM
    TAbbott

TAbbott Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Naples, FL
    Update on my experience: the Revo is garbage. Leaks through the side windows like crazy, back hatch is misaligned to the point it looks broken, and here's the kicker: when it gets cooler in Florida (45 degrees) the back hatch wont open. Seems the cable going to the latch has a problem. Anyways, ARE agreed to swap this top for the Z. It's been 6 weeks waiting on the new top and the dealer doesn't sound happy but its going on this Wednesday.

16. Jan 13, 2020 at 6:05 PM
    TurboFire10

TurboFire10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro
    ARE Revo, RCI rock sliders
    Idk what’s wrong with your Revos, mine hasn’t had any problems other than small water leaks from the gaps in the bed (which is the bed design, not the cap) I think it’s your installers that suck.

In regards to the compression boot..use a 20” bicycle inner tube. It looks and fits perfectly with very little to no squeaking on bumpy roads unlike the ugly crap donut Amazon sells

17. Jan 23, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    LVYOTA

LVYOTA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport MT
    Darn - I just spent the last few months comparing caps and finally decided I liked the CX Evolve the best. Was going to put a order in for it Saturday until I read this thread. Too many quality control issues going on for me to buy one. Guess I’m back to square one. Is the Leer 100xr considerably more expensive than the cx evolve?

TRBEAS likes this.
  18. Jan 23, 2020 at 6:08 PM
    TAbbott

TAbbott Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Naples, FL
    For what it’s worth:
    ARE swapped my CX Revo for a Z. The Z looks better (and I was skeptical of pictures) and it works better. Fit and finish is great. Latches and operation are great. Skip Revo/Evolve.

19. Feb 10, 2020 at 8:23 PM
    Tiny's Taco

Tiny's Taco The Wanderer

Member:
    Shenandoah Valley
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno TRD Sport
    That's a horrible idea. What time?
    I've been thinking about a cap, so I read through here. For those of you who want to contact ARE, a quick Google search found this: Address: 400 Nave Rd SE, Massillon, OH 44646; Hours: Opens 8AM ; Phone: (330) 830-7800. There are also some online business search options that will help you find CEO's & VP's. Those calls tend to get some action rather quickly. (I have resolved many Comcast issues this way!) Try Bizpedia, Open Corporates, and Corporation Wiki.

From Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/5027989Z:US

20. Mar 24, 2020 at 10:17 AM
    outsideplease

outsideplease Active Member

Member:
    I've had this on for about a month. Observations: Clean looking shell. Fits tight. My installers did a great job. Windows are not near as large as they appear outside. They are half the size from the inside. Strange, it seems they are just blacked out about 3-4 inches around from the inside. Problematic when camping inside and such if you like to look out. The door on the shell only comes up about 90 degrees. You will have problems retrieving items or getting into the shell without hitting your head on door and crouching. The hinges take up a lot of space in the "Hole or open area" when putting items in and pulling out it may be problematic. If you want a tight seal, or tight fit when closing hatch, you will have to use both hands when trying to secure the hatch down to apply enough pressure so it with latch. thats all for now.

Products Discussed in

To Top