1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are rear spacer blocks bad ?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by AJ`s Inferno Offroad, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Mar 30, 2020 at 6:10 PM
    calebc

calebc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Read a couple posts up. They move the axle away from the spring and will make the truck more susceptible to axle wrap. Besides the axle wrap, they will also break the stock springs down faster (partly because of this increased leverage). Blocks are a cheap way to get some lift, but in no way are they a good way to get some lift. Also, the whole, because Headstrong sells them, they must be ok...while I really like Headstrong, I've bought many things from them including my Kings, just because they sell a 4" block doesn't make it ok. Also comparing front spacers to blocks is comparing apples to oranges.

71tattooguy likes this.
  2. Mar 30, 2020 at 6:14 PM
    TK11

TK11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    N. CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR MT
    Bilstein 6112 / 5160, 275/70/17 BFG KO2, Caliraised Sliders, SSO bumper, Warn winch
    I did a 1" block years ago with no issues. But, I switched to AAL to get more load carrying capacity and liked it much more. A bit stiffer of a ride too with AAL. Installation is very similar either way you go.

AgedFlatulence likes this.
  3. Mar 31, 2020 at 1:04 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    I've run em on every truck for many many years, never had an issue.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  4. Mar 31, 2020 at 2:51 AM
    VaToy

VaToy Life Long Member

Member:
    Parts Unknown
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD DCLB Sport 4x4 Silver Sky
    Bilsteins 5100s on the top setting, 4runner Gray TRD Pro Sema wheels, 285/70/17 Toyo AT3s, Sumo Bump stops, TRD exhaust, ECGS Clamshell bushing, 1/4 shim for the lean and one inch rear block, OEM Pro grill and garnish OEM TRD Skid plate, TRD CAI, Demon Brackets, Rigid Industries Pro fog lights, OEM Trail Rails sidebars, Diode Dynamics LED SL1 high and low beam lights, OEM Roof racks, Clazzio leather heated seats, Remote Start, TRD Pro shift knob, tinted windows, Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp for the headunit and sub and amp combo, OEM Puddle lights, OEM tailgate lock, OEM bed mat, LED interior lights, OEM blackout kit for letters, JLT catch can, upgraded 27F toyota True Start battery, Vleds led tail light kit with Pro tail lights, OEM Rave4 side mirrors with convex spotters,just to name a few mods.
    Nope, not at all. Done blocks for years. I have a 1 inch block on my 18 DCLB, no issues.

71tattooguy likes this.
  5. Mar 31, 2020 at 7:03 AM
    RX1cobra

RX1cobra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 OR
    Ford puts blocks in stock to lift the rear on 4x4 models. Seems to work just fine for them...

DaveInDenver likes this.
  6. Mar 31, 2020 at 8:07 AM
    AgedFlatulence

AgedFlatulence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    SoCommiefornia
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB 4x4 Quicksand
    OVTune 4.88 Kings remote w/adjustment Add a Leaf 2"lift RCI Skids RCI Differential Cover RCI lower A arm covers Demello sliders Snugtop windoors Yakima Skyline TRD Pro Grill knockoff 265r75/16 Falken ATW3 Anytime camera Recovery gear
    No no blocks are bad, you HAVE to spend a grip to lift your truck!
    'sarcasm/off'

7. Mar 31, 2020 at 8:27 AM
    bludweiaer

bludweiaer Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Pro DBL Cab,,2020 F3L Spyder...Polaris 800..
    avs rain guards,,,tyger auto tubesteps... stealth SR8's.265/70/17,ridge grapplers..shiftsense pro...
    time will tell for me ,, just order a 3/4 in top plate strut spacer...1 1/2 in. of lift...
    and a 1 in. block for the rear..
    truck should sit pretty close to level.
    front is 3/4 lower than back at this time... maybe 1/4 in. of rake after i get it installed... been mulling this over for along time,, i dont do any hard off roading so i should be fine... and because i cant work at this time, its a good time to do it..

8. Mar 31, 2020 at 9:06 AM
    Bertw192

Bertw192 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    All the things!
    I know I'm not offering any new info here, but yes, using blocks to give you lift will result in a greater chance of axle wrap. I had axle wrap on my stock leafs, and I didn't even have spacers. I only realized how bad it was, when I swapped to a Deaver leaf pack (no more wrap). The stock leafs are pretty weak to begin with, so giving the axle additional leverage, is certainly going to have negative effects.

However, is the axle wrap you're going to get a bid deal or is it detrimental to the truck? No, probably not. Will you feel it? Most likely yes. Will it annoy you like it did me? That's a personal question that you have to answer for yourself.

Also, excusing a lift block, because Ford uses them is kind of a silly argument. Ford designs their trucks to use a lift block. Toyota does not. Similarly, you wouldn't swap your leafs for coils, because that's what the Ridgeline uses. They're completely different trucks with completely different suspension systems. This argument could be made if the TRD Pro used blocks. Sure... but not when it's a completely different truck.

Ultimately, it's your truck. You came and asked what the negative effects of a 1" block could be... People told you. You could possibly get axle wrap. That's it... Choose your own path from there.

9. Mar 31, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    RX1cobra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 OR
    While it's true that the F150 is a completely different truck it's pretty good evidence that a reasonable lift block shouldn't be a concern. Same leaf pack between the two Ford just lifts it with a block. If it was a legit safety concern no way Ford would use it.

My truck is pavement queen but I keep seeing everyone saying axle wrap will be an issue. We don't have the power to spin the tires unless in rain/snow/mud etc. Maybe off-road its a bigger issue but on-road I don't see wheel hop as a legit issue for how most Tacomas are used.

10. Mar 31, 2020 at 10:00 AM
    Bertw192

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    All the things!
    Are you saying the F150 and Tacoma have the same leaf springs? I can almost 100% assure you that they are not the same. Ford has engineered their leaf springs to be used with a block. Toyota has not. This means, thicker leafs, different arch, different spring rates... Adding a block to a Toyota leaf pack is not how they were intended to be used.

I don't think anyone is arguing a safety concern here. Axle wrap that you'd get from a reasonable sized block, is annoying at best, not a safety concern. OP asked if they were "bad", not a safety concern. I'm not trying to scare OP away from using them, I just want him to know what he's potentially getting into.

DaveInDenver likes this.
  11. Mar 31, 2020 at 10:03 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    That's a completely fair argument. I'd make one small point, the 2005+ Tacoma has a shackle inverted like Ford has used for a long time so it's possible the rear springs geometries are more similar than on 1st gen Tacoma and older trucks with traditional shackles. Shock placement isn't and I couldn't say about overall geometry, length or comparable spring rates. I agree with you, so just making a point for discussion.

FWIW, just in case someone's following and not sure what the heck is being discussed. When you put torque into the axle the leaf springs tend to "wrap" up like an 'S'. This is an exaggerated visual and of course shows spring under axle, but the principle is the same. It's stressful to the springs and causes the tires to hop. As the distance between the spring and axle is increased the greater the moment (e.g. torque, leverage) the axle can exert on the springs.

Rear Suspension Axle Wrap Under Acceleration Example.jpg

It's not a simple this-or-that problem when designing or modifying things but you can generally say blocks should be avoided if possible. But sometimes there's benefits, such as angled shims, which improve pinion angle for driveshaft stability. That's why I mentioned a small block, 1/2" to maybe an inch, can be OK. I use shims and if they cause axle wrap to get worse I haven't noticed.

IMG_2059.jpg

SmileyGuy and Bertw192[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Mar 31, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    HeyWannaTaco

HeyWannaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red DCLB SR5
    OVTuned, OKX Skids, AVS In-Channel, N-fab Predators
    I know not of these things. Still very new to the whole Tacoma modification thing.

For me, every time I read a thread about lifting or leveling, I end up with more questions than answers. I was looking at the Bilstein 5100 set up for the future, mostly for the looks and some light wheeling. In :canada: , these guys sell this kit. http://www.bilsteincanada.com/product_info.php?cPath=306_3992_18451_18452&products_id=4569 They say it should work fine, and keeps things lined up right.

Some folks seem to have zero issues after a lift, and then I hear that others have to deal with the whole needle bearing thing because of vibes, and whatever else can come up once the geometry of the suspension system is altered. Seems pretty straightforward until it isn't. :notsure:

dleriche likes this.
  13. Mar 31, 2020 at 11:06 AM
    Bertw192

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    All the things!
    Lifting is a complicated subject. Ultimately you're altering Toyota's intended design. It can often open up a can of worms and be a slippery slope. If you can do the work yourself, most obstacles can be overcome relatively easily. If you're paying a shop to do the installs, you're potentially going to head down a very expensive path.

There is no 1 prescription for lifting a truck. There's a few reasons for this. Driving habits, starting truck model, factory weight, added weight in mods, height of lift and most importantly, these are not precision built machines. There's a lot of variation from truck to truck. What works for one truck will not necessarily work for another. Even the factory suspension will vary from truck to truck. My factory leaf pack included a factory shim. Where as I've seen other packs that did not have this shim.

If you're truly interested in changing your suspension, start by determining how you most commonly use your truck. Pick a suspension system that fits your use, budget and comfort level. Also know that the more you deviate from the factory design and height, the more obstacles you're going to run into down the line. Once you've made up your mind, then research that specific package.

Otherwise, if you look at ALL options and possible directions, you'll drown in advice and horror stories.

14. Mar 31, 2020 at 11:23 AM
    Bertw192

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    All the things!
    BTW, that's a very common shock for the rear of your truck and based on what I've read, is a very good, budget friendly option. The only thing I'd advise against is the diff drop. For some it works just fine, but I've seen horror stories when diff drops go bad.

Edit:

Also, that seems way over priced for just rear shocks. Check out @HeadStrong Off-Road for some of the best prices and AMAZING customer service. Not sure if they ship to America's hat.

https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p463/Bilstein_5100_Standard_Length_Rear_Shock_(PAIR)_-_24-186728_for_2016__Toyota_Tacoma.html

https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p103/Maxtrac_Lift_Blocks_(1"_-_4"_Blocks)_-_05__Tacoma_(PAIR).html

https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p106/Extended_length_U-bolts_-_05__Tacoma.html

15. Mar 31, 2020 at 11:24 AM
    jacpa

jacpa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD ORP
    Dude a block is fine this forum is crazy

16. Mar 31, 2020 at 11:32 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    these and the wheel spacer threads are always good for some laughs

17. Mar 31, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    71tattooguy

71tattooguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dino
    Petaluma , Ca (707)
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD OFF- ROAD
    Kings 2.5” front and rears from Accutune / ICON RXT LEAF PACK black badges doors and tailgate / method 315 / 255/85/16 Yokohama G003 / magnaflow exhaust , axle dump / meso int delete kit / meso led map lights / dome lights / wheelers front super bumps / accutune Flip kit with spacer and new bumps / Cali raised fog light pods / Cali raised ditch lights / RCI FULL SKIDS / SLIDERS / RCI rear bumper / rigid backup lights / tuned on 4.88’s
    Great entertainment

18. Mar 31, 2020 at 11:35 AM
    Z7Xtreme

Z7Xtreme Always Overestimated

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    In a tree somewhere
    Vehicle:
    2015 trd Black Ops edition
    884's and 5100's with HS 1/4" taco lean spacer,1 inch toytec block and 5100's,SPC uca's,SCS Ray 10 wheels,265/75/16 Falken Wildpeak AT3,oem running boards,oem skid plate,WeatherTech floor liners,WeatherTech window deflectors,Access tonneau cover,WeatherTech stone and bug shield ,BPF tow hook,oem bed mat,pro grill,tacomabeast headlights,cali raised ditch brackets with Rigid lights,Rough country 30” lightbar on Rigid brackets RCI bedrack, KC rear lights,maxtrax,dual rotopax.
  19. Mar 31, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    Shades_Of_Red

Shades_Of_Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium Cavalry Blue
    A few.
    People have knocked using rear lift blocks for years and maybe there is some issues but Ford has been using a version of them on there trucks from the factory since the 80s.

20. Mar 31, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    RX1cobra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 OR
    No, Ford uses the same leaf spring on the 2wd and 4wd drive model. The 4wd has the block the 2wd doesn't. I don't really care what anyone does to their truck just pointing out the OEMs use blocks.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Bertw192[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top