1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are Tacomas fun to drive?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by matt z, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    matt z

matt z [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Madison WI
    Vehicle:
    '06 BSP 4x4 access cab 4.0
    hello all,

I suppose i should start out by saying that i dont own a tacoma, yet. This spring I'll be looking for a new car (or in this case, truck). Ive been looking on and off for the past 3-4 months for a 05+ Tacoma. Currently i have an 04 Honda Element, which was a good first car, but im ready to move on. (by the way, im 19) Any way, getting back to the tacoma, Im looking for an 05 or newer taco with a V6 and four wheel drive. Idealy id like an access cab and an automatic tranny too. But ive noticed that they are extremely hard to find for around 20k. I recently test drove an 04 taco with the V6, and I think it was almost as slow as my 2.4 liter Element. Eventually i'll drive an 05 style taco, but i thought id get some other opinions along the way.

The main problems with the Element are, it has a rough ride, its top heavy, and its SLOW. Now i dont need a ton of speed, but 160hp in a 4000lb SUV is kinda scary merging once in a while. That is one of the reasons ive been looking at a taco, they have soo much aftermarket support, headers, cat-backs, TRD/URD Superchargers, etc.

I recently started looking at a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart. (which is basically an all-wheel drive, turbo charged, lancer with paddle shifters, kinda like the evos little brother) Id love an evo, but since im 19, the insurance would kill me.

So, heres my problem, Do i get a Tacoma? or do i get the Ralliart and have all of my requirements met? (and have a fun, sporty little car)

So, what do you think? Are Tacomas fun to drive? Any suggestions?

(sorry but an an x-runner wont work, i need allwheel drive, Wisconsin winters dont like rear wheel drive cars/trucks)

Thanks
    matt z

2. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    easiest vehicle ive ever driven.... easier than my parents 5 series and infinity QX56... and the old 69 camaro....

3. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    matt z

Member:
    Madison WI
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, i plan on test driving them both.

We do have a couple fourwheelers, but i cant tow them with the element either and ive managed. Currently all i have to haul is my laundry to and from college.

4. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    The Element looks like a Lego car IMO. Get the Taco, you will be glad you did.

5. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    The Taco is VERY fun to drive! That being said, it won't handle or be as quick as a sports car (not many trucks will though). It's all about what you want/need in a vehicle.

Personally, I think my Taco drives like a much smaller vehicle than it is and I wouldn't trade it for a full size. It's tight, it's nimble, it's easy to drive in traffic and the 4.0 has nothing to apologize for in the power department IMHO :)

6. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    My truck is so fast, (given i went from a 89 yj with 33s and stock gearing) but when i step on it and i can hear my intake and i get up there, it is so much fun, my parents have a 7 series and a porsche and i would prefer to drive this. IMO

7. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    tacos are fun to drive, but they attract to much attention from the chicks,which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

8. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    Tacomas suck and all these people are idiots. Never buy one. Any more questions I can help you with?

9. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    matt z

Member:
    Madison WI
    Vehicle:
    :D that will definitely be taken into consideration. definitely a plus.

10. Jan 20, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    s10nick

s10nick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nick
    Greeley, CO
    Vehicle:
    base mod. debaged
    3inch hbs lift toytec diff drop grillcraft grill hella 500s conv. to 8k hids xentec hid head light conv. 5% tint more to come
    i deffently love my tacoma would never ever trade it for any evo. it will go any ware do anything and is verry fast for being a lil v6 truck it will beat alot of things stock and if you get a tacoma you will find out your not so much in to goin fast but goin off road go the power of my truck sold it to me

11. Jan 20, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Do bears shit in the woods?
    Get the taco and explore the outdoors. An all wheel drive CAR cannot get to all the places a taco can.
    You know you like getting in some taco from time to time

12. Jan 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
  13. Jan 20, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    My truck is a blast to drive. It handles very well in traffic, did very well in the snow and led me to this very cool web site with some very cool people.:)

14. Jan 20, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    matt z

Member:
    Madison WI
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the help! i need all the help i can get. :D

as for going off road... i have access to 300 acres of forest with 3-4 ponds. And the taco would be fun there. But thats why we have the fourwheelers. Im not really into the rock crawling thing, but mudding and general off roadind would be fun. .....although, the alternative would be a rally car, which would be a BLAST on the gravel roads in our forest. hmmmm.

15. Jan 20, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    s10nick

s10nick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nick
    Greeley, CO
    Vehicle:
    base mod. debaged
    3inch hbs lift toytec diff drop grillcraft grill hella 500s conv. to 8k hids xentec hid head light conv. 5% tint more to come
    if you tryed to get a ralley car in a third the places i have been it would be totaled and im 19 too man and i have an 09 and a ralley car is ways out of your prices range if u cant really aford to buy the car to ralley out out. but HELL YEAH!! it would be sick to have but a trophey truck is ware its at!

16. Jan 20, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    matt z

Member:
    Madison WI
    Vehicle:
    if i got the taco, id definitely go for the trophy look. 4" lift, 33" tires, procomp bumpers, fog lights. such a cool look.

17. Jan 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    AriZonaD54

AriZonaD54 BANNED in 49 states...

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Valley of the Sun
    I enjoy my Tacoma more than I enjoy my BMW. I typically get more thumbs up in the truck too.

The BMW is great on open highways at WOT or on the track, but is lame-o around town in traffic.

18. Jan 20, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Yes, I think my Tacoma is fun to drive. In fact, I'd say it's a lot of fun to drive.

19. Jan 20, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Eh. The Tacoma is fun in it's own little way... for a truck. Let's face it, it's still a truck. I say this coming from a '92 Dodge Stealth TT (Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, awd) and a '05 G35 Coupe (6spd MT). Those... on the pavement blow a tacoma a way in every way, in reguards to "fun" driving. However, what is fun about city driving in a Taco is you don't care about speed bumps, pot holes, ect... hell I hit the throttle on them lol. Sports cars... you really gotta pay attention or you do damage to your ride.

Also, as a fellow mitsu owner (I still love 3000GT VR4's and would love to own another someday), look at a WRX instead. The insurance will probably be a little cheaper, maintence is a whole hell of a lot cheaper, and they'll last a lot longer ratt'n on them. It'll probably be my next car (probably an 06 if I can find one).

20. Jan 20, 2010 at 10:58 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You are 17.....

When you say - "Is it fun to drive?"
    Well....no.... Drifting, racing, autocross, 1/4 mile....aren't its best features (from the factory).

But offroading, hauling, towing, drives on the beach, towing a boat, hauling a quad, carrying several kegs (oops sorry, you're not old enough for that), hauling a BBQ grill and tailgating festivities......ARE its best features!

You decide.

I've seen how those hoodlums buy those little small ricey cars ..... you don't wanna hang out with those guys. Get a tacoma!

Products Discussed in

To Top