1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are there something wrong with my tires? please help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hockey1chick, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Oct 14, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    i agree with the tire pressure statement. i just put some 265/75r16 duratracs on my truck recently. to get all the tires a good ground contact patch im running 34psi up front and 22 psi in the back. but these pressures have been working great so far

2. Oct 14, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    BPachom

BPachom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5, 4cyl 4X4, Black
    Access roll-up tonneau cover, Factory radio W/Sirius, Tailgate clamp, HID head lights, Stainless nerf bars.
    I have an 09 Tacoma, and never had a problem in the rain. I am still running on the factory tires (about 16,000 miles on the tires and truck) but have been looking into bigger wheels, tires and possible lift. Mental note here, not to get the BF Goodrich all terrains;))

3. Oct 14, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I never have one problem with my truck in regard to holding the road and I have a/t tires.

4. Oct 14, 2009 at 8:53 PM
    Monarch

Monarch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC 4X4 2.7L manual SR5 barcelona red
    SkyJacker, OME 884, 33's no CMC, ECGS bushing, Bushwacker, Pop & Lock, Redline, Weathertech, Softopper
    Sorry. I failed to mention that you husband could also have been responsible for installing a supercharger in your truck.

I guess we'll see, if you ever visit Octoberfest in Kitchener.

Mines the one parked in the driveway.

5. Oct 14, 2009 at 8:54 PM
    hockey1chick

hockey1chick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Redondo Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Sports
    RBP grilles, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, BF Goodrich All Terrain tires, MotoMetal Rims, Smittybuild stepers, tip..debadge-- no chrome for me!, front windows , tailights, fog lights and front headlights tinted!!
    Apprarently i was up 3psi on all tires --now hopefully all better.

6. Oct 14, 2009 at 8:56 PM
    BPachom

BPachom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5, 4cyl 4X4, Black
    Access roll-up tonneau cover, Factory radio W/Sirius, Tailgate clamp, HID head lights, Stainless nerf bars.

I would not think an extra 3psi would make that much of a difference.

Hopefully you are good to go!

7. Oct 14, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    hockey1chick

Member:
    Redondo Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    RBP grilles, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, BF Goodrich All Terrain tires, MotoMetal Rims, Smittybuild stepers, tip..debadge-- no chrome for me!, front windows , tailights, fog lights and front headlights tinted!!
    hahaha --funny --tell me about it!:cool:

8. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:00 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD

The tire pressure thing is for the off road trails, it has nothing to do with driving on wet pavement. In fact it will probably make it worse, remember you are trying to force all the water from under the tire to get a good grip, tread pattern has a lot to do with it not a softer tire.

9. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    you may have to go lower in the back. do the chalk line test on the tires to see if they are wearing evenly

10. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:18 PM
    hockey1chick

Member:
    Redondo Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    How do i go lower on the back --so would it make the truck look tilted? as i dont like that :eek:
    how do i do the chalk test --?

11. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:29 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    take some chalk and draw a thick line across the tires.
    then drive a short distance.
    the chalk line should be worn out evenly.
    if just the center is worn out, your a over inflated.
    if the edges are worn out, your under inflated.

its trial and error untill you find what pressures work the best for your truck tires.
    like i said, with my new goodyear wrangler duratracs, i had to lower my back to 22psi to get a good even wear on them, the fronts are at 34 psi.

hockey1chick I ment lowering the psi in the back, not lowering the truck. unless your into that - hahaha

12. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    Monarch

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    SkyJacker, OME 884, 33's no CMC, ECGS bushing, Bushwacker, Pop & Lock, Redline, Weathertech, Softopper
    So that should be the end of it.

Only one question remains.

How often do you rotate your tires.

13. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:47 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    every time i change the oil, about 5000 miles
    once you know what pressures work for your truck your good.

14. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:58 PM
    Monarch

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    and if you have stock tires & rims then by all means, use the factory inflation data on the door sticker as a recommendation for proper tire inflation pressures.

15. Oct 14, 2009 at 10:00 PM
    thekidcatcher

thekidcatcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD offroad SR5
    Legs- --Helo rims --KM3 285/75/R16 --Bilstein 5100 in front with OME 886 --Dakar with extra leaf --Total Chaos UCA's --5165's Bilstein in the rear Electronics- --Warn M8000 w/ Warn wirless remote --Cobra 29LTD CB, --12in sub with alpine amp , --Dual Battery, --Warn Air compressor --URD MAF sensor, --touchscreen cd player hooked up to front and rear cameras Armor- --All-Pro offroad front/rear/rocksliders --AP skid plate, diff armor Cajones- --JBA headers, midpipe, exhaust --Safari Snorkel --4.56s ECGS Misc- highlift jack --UWS toolbox --u bolt flip kit --Tepui Kukenam Custom- --in dash inverter --on-board shower system --dvd anytime mod --custom bed rack and tiregate.
    Man I used to have those tires. They were a good sturdy offroad tire but on wet pavement, I could kick out my truck just by turning hard with no extra gas. They are slick on the street lol.

16. Oct 14, 2009 at 10:02 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    I too was driving in that area during these first few rain falls. Here in Cali it rained in may then we didnt get any rain till just the past 2 days or so. This means yes lots of oil on the road...you can actually see the prism affect on the road. People off the road all over the place. I do not think its your tires as long as you have decent tread for water shedding. you want at least 1/16" tread depth. I didnt have any problems but i could feel that it was a little uneasy on the on/off ramps. Driving technique plays a huge roll in first rain. We take for granted how sticky dry pavement is...

17. Oct 14, 2009 at 10:02 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    i have stock rims, but not stock tires
    and the sticker is recommended psi

18. Oct 14, 2009 at 10:06 PM
    hockey1chick

Member:
    Redondo Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    I know for me personally 3psi does not seem much but i am just paranoid about what transpired today so any advice i grab and go ---- oh ok so lower the psi in my back wheels from what is said --10 psi less in the back i can and will do that. the chalk test makes sense --- i will do that this weekend as it seems this is the last of the rain we are going to see for a while.
    I dont have stock rims or tires --and that is why when this happened i thought i jacked the truck up with the NOT having stock. i have not had my tires rotated as i only have 5,000 miles in my 5 mnth old truck --thanks to our trip up to AZ to see mom.
    I am just bummed as i just thought having a truck means a steadier ride ---AND this!!?? it scared the crapper out of me --the whole 15mins trip home was like Dorothy in the Wiz of Oz and ---i want to go home waaaa...........!!!!!!

19. Oct 14, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    consider it part of the learning curve, you will be straightening out the rest of us soon enough!

20. Oct 14, 2009 at 10:20 PM
    Fienoma

Fienoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hieu
    New Mexcio
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab Off road 4x4
    BHLM, In bed lights mod, K&N intake,OEM bed extender....more to come?
    I got BFG A/T's around a year or so after i got my truck and for some reason costco decided to set my tires at 50psi...me being new to owning a vehicle in general knew nothing of the dangers of having too much air in my tires..i spent all 4 seasons skidding around when it rained..peeling out at lights in the winter..and having spin outs in the summer rains.. set your psi lower..thats the best i can offer..my tread life is near 35% after 10k miles on them..(i also drive with a very light foot on the gas..)

Products Discussed in

To Top