1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are there something wrong with my tires? please help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hockey1chick, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i apologize...previously i said i suspected she had overinflated tires...

i sat back and thought about it and now im willing to bet theyre underinflated

chances are the OP rarely if ever checks the pressure...and tires dont hold air permanently...

either way...over or underinflated...theyre going to cause a loss in performance as far as vehicle handling is concerned

2. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:10 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Yea, under inflated = much worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroplaning_(tires) :

• Ratio of tire load to inflation pressureUnderinflated tires are more prone to hydroplaning, especially as vehicle weight increases.

3. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:24 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    when tires are underinflated...theyre going to "flop" essentially...and when tires get heated up and do this...they begin to peel from the inside out...

over time this is the major cause of most tire blowouts

overinflated tires become damaged because theyre unable to conform to bumps/potholes etc...this can also cause a blowout

on any pavement (wet or dry)...youre cruising along at say...40mph...something runs out in front of you or someone stops suddenly...

you brake hard (but not too hard so as to cause a skid) you then realize youre not going to stop in time

release the brake...steer to avoid obstacle...its at this point your tire inflation becomes KEY

an under or over inflated tire is going to be unable to hold the cars maneuver and cause you to go into a skid...and in these trucks quite possibly a rollover...a properly inflated tire SHOULD (if the tread is designed for the surface) hold the vehicle stable enough to continue the maneuver till you avoid the collision and then brake to a stop or resume driving

4. Oct 15, 2009 at 2:38 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    First....what PSI is in your tires???? What size are you running?
    You can not determine to increase or decrease your psi without first determining if you are near the correct psi to begin with.
    Since you are not running stock rims/tires then you can not go off the sticker on the door panel. Also who installed your rims/tires? Did you reset the TPMS for the correct psi (I'm assuming you didn't since you don't know the correct psi), you can not be sure the tire shop (if that is who installed) reset the tpms or even put the correct psi in the tires. Always know what psi you should be running and check it yourself.
    The guys above already added what I was going to say about the dangers of under and over inflated tires.

5. Oct 15, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    defective driver

6. Oct 15, 2009 at 4:08 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    X2

7. Oct 15, 2009 at 4:13 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD

That is hydroplaning, in your first description that is if all 4 tires are hydroplaning, remember if you hit a pudddle it will just be the tire that hit the puddle hydroplaning. Hydroplaning : The grooves of a rubber tire are designed to disperse water from beneath the tire, providing high friction even in wet conditions. Hydroplaning occurs when a tire encounters more water than it can dissipate. Water pressure in front of the wheel forces a wedge of water under the leading edge of the tire, causing it to lift from the road. The tire then skates on a sheet of water with little, if any, direct road contact, and loss of control results. If multiple tires hydroplane, the vehicle may lose directional control and slide until it either collides with an obstacle, or slows enough that one or more tires contact the road again and friction is regained.

8. Oct 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    wow, all these replys are making me feel smarter ????

I dont think there would be so much interest if not started by hockey1chick

9. Oct 15, 2009 at 4:26 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,

boobs=attention :D

10. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    LMAO - hahaha
    boobs = :)

11. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    hockey1chick

hockey1chick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Redondo Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Sports
    RBP grilles, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, BF Goodrich All Terrain tires, MotoMetal Rims, Smittybuild stepers, tip..debadge-- no chrome for me!, front windows , tailights, fog lights and front headlights tinted!!
    THIS is by far the most intelligient remark made on this thread. Thanks for taking time off in your busy life to share ur wisdom.

12. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:32 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    good one hockey1chick!
    whats the 1 for?

13. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:32 PM
    hockey1chick

Member:
    Redondo Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    RBP grilles, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, BF Goodrich All Terrain tires, MotoMetal Rims, Smittybuild stepers, tip..debadge-- no chrome for me!, front windows , tailights, fog lights and front headlights tinted!!
    The tire sidewall states that 50psi is the max pressure. My husband saw that the cold tire pressure was 32psi so he set it to 29psi as recommended on the sticker on the side of the door --what u say make sense --cant go with that.

So from the advice i received on this thread 10 psi less on the back then? that or it was suggested to me today to just drop sandbags in the back of the truck to even the weight --either that or switch to stock wheels on rainy day --ya right

14. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    chalk line the tires, find what pressure is good for your truck.
    this could take some time but will allow you to find what psi gives you even wear, and a chance to see how the truck feels driving at different psi also
    weight in the back would help, but personally i dont like haveing things tha.t could slide around.

15. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    we are looking at our 1st snow fall tonight!!!

16. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    sorry , just get excited about the first snow fall
    plus getting tired of all the rain talk

17. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:46 PM
    hockey1chick

Member:
    Redondo Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    sigh -- i did my research on tires and everyone swears on BFF Goodrich --but from all the posting here it only works well off-roading --someone actually recommended the Pirelli Scorpion but i just thought it looked too car-ish. :(

18. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:50 PM
    hockey1chick

Member:
    Redondo Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    That's the key there sandbags --lots n lots of it in the back ---

19. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    i just recently got the goodyear wrangler duratracs. they are rated a 10 in the snow.
    havent had a chance to really try them. im sure any snow we get wont stick, so will have to wait awhile.

20. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    BPachom

BPachom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5, 4cyl 4X4, Black
    Access roll-up tonneau cover, Factory radio W/Sirius, Tailgate clamp, HID head lights, Stainless nerf bars.
    LOL! (Dorothy part)

But that sucks you don't have the traction that you should be getting, therefore scarring you on rainy days.
    I guess on the bright side, you can move to an area that hardly rains!))

Products Discussed in

To Top