1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are these LEDs any good?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by BlazinBlueTaco, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Jun 11, 2019 at 10:34 AM
    BlazinBlueTaco

BlazinBlueTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad Auto
    **EDIT** I was able to get a set of highs, lows, and fogs from Carifex for free so I would be happy to post pictures of them up close. They must be so bad they're willing to give them away haha **EDIT**

Anyone have any experience with these LEDs? I’m so skeptical of any advertising of products on Facebook. It’s usually crap products but I see they were demo-ing these on an Inferno Tacoma:

F82BD122-E6E7-41BE-A880-DD5A85C34800.jpg

Notice the “Free from Fire Explosions” part? Haha

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    foodforbears likes this.
  2. Jun 11, 2019 at 10:38 AM
    avi8or_co

avi8or_co Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue TRD Sport
    Wouldn’t be worried about the operating temp causing explosions as much as the likely cheap components it’s made out of causing one.

Simpleton likes this.
  3. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:06 AM
    Garyji

Garyji Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 BR SR5 DCSB V6 4WD. TRD Pro 17's, BFG KO2's
    Your truck is not made for LED headlights and they won't improve the arguably poor lighting that is stock. Tons of threads on this.

Spend your money on other cool stuff.

G.

gurneyeagle, robssol and Tullie D like this.
  4. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:14 AM
    BlazinBlueTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    But you don't know if they are in fact cheap?
    Yeah, kinda figured that. I found the LED vs Halogen vs HID thread. Going to spend a day or two to catch on to trends of good working setups. Not for looks. I don't care about that. I mean I like the look of LEDs but not enough if they won't work as well.

5. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    WiscoPat

WiscoPat One does not simply purchase a Ridgeline

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD OR QS
  6. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    BlazinBlueTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    WiscoPat likes this.
  7. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:18 AM
    GreyBaldTaco

GreyBaldTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sr5 DCSB 4x4
    A retrofit is not required. HID's work just fine in the stock projectors and a huge improvement over stock. Would they get better with the appropriate projector, yes, but to say they are required, period, is a lie, period.

8. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:19 AM
    Pro-Taco

Pro-Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR DCSB 4X4 Prem/Tech Cement
    Pro: grille, skid, exhaust, suspension, shifter. Sema wheels, Westin side steps, Mori fogs
    I have Hikari LEDs and they are MUCH brighter that stock. I didn't want to mess with HID setup even though it might be slightly better than LED.

Tommyb08, Ruggybuggy and pkang0915 like this.
  9. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:27 AM
    WiscoPat

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD OR QS
    I'm confused why this offended you, as it's a statement that is a result of thorough research conducted on the aforementioned thread by a vehicle design engineer. It's also required reading for new hires within certain vehicle lighting companies.

You can get away with HIDs, yes, as the stock halogen projectors contain a glare shield and will produce improved projection over LEDs. That being said, they are not designed for HIDs and will most likely produce bounce without providing the proper projection. Therefore, if you want a true HID setup, you will have to go through a retrofit - the most common is the RX350 projector swap, as they are a direct replacement.

OP - the most affordable method with the best performance is trimming the internal tab of H9 bulbs (Philips is referenced) and place them in your low beams - the stock H9 high beams are just fine otherwise. It's up to you if you'd like to go for an LED or HID assembly. :thumbsup:

10. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    GreyBaldTaco

GreyBaldTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sr5 DCSB 4x4
    Where does it say I am offended. I just pointed out that you said they won't work period, which is just not true.

11. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:31 AM
    BlazinBlueTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    Fellas, I appreciate both of your input. I think the way everyone can come across in these threads is rarely intentionally done to offend someone. Thank you both.

PvilleJohn, GreyBaldTaco and WiscoPat like this.
  12. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    NYCTaco52

NYCTaco52 That guy from that place

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Brooklyn, N.Y.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Red DCLB 4x4, 2016 4Runner Limited, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring
    Bilstein 6112, Bilstein RCD, Dakar Med leaf pack, JBA UCAs
    Don’t get them, they show and demo lights from another company, the ones you get in the mail are completely different. Trust me

13. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    WiscoPat

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD OR QS
    Absolutely man! That thread is great, among others - definitely helped me out. :cheers:

14. Jun 11, 2019 at 1:44 PM
    BlazinBlueTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    I figured seeing as their return policy is void of any reason. God forbid you get crappy ones and need them replaced. Forget about it. Also, no warranty information whatsoever. Thanks

15. Jun 11, 2019 at 1:49 PM
    kiki111

kiki111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2019 SR
    From experience I can tell you my truck sits high so LEDs do not put out enough light (imo) to get a nice clear picture on the ground... fog lights would help.... but I'm upgrading to HIDs

16. Jun 11, 2019 at 1:51 PM
    andrewkissam

andrewkissam Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport, DCSB, Silver Sky Metallic
    heritage grille, TRD beadlock wheels, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, rokblokz mudflaps, BFG KO2s 265/75r16, 2nd gen running boards, chin spoiler delete, bed mat, Toyota all weather floor mats, Diode Dynamics LED headlight conversion, LED reverse and plate lights, LED interior lights
    LED lighting threads always crack me up. There's so many guys out there that claim that LEDs are no good that it makes me wonder if they've even bothered trying it themselves or if they're just going off what other people say. I've read the article from the vehicle design engineer regarding LED bulbs in stock halogen housings and I'm not saying he's wrong. However, with that being said I am personally running diode dynamics SL1 LED lights in my stock halogen high beam, low beam and foglight housings and I can tell you from firsthand personal experience that it is a massive upgrade over stock. The light is much brighter and more crisp and it maintains the stock cutoff line while still having good distance projection, a good hotspot, and no glare. The only time someone has flashed me is when I was cresting over a hill on a 2 lane road just as the other driver was cresting the hill on the other side, but that's not the fault of the lights; it's just the way our vehicles were angled in relation to each other in that split second. Even with my stock halogens I think I would have gotten flashed in that situation. I think all the negativity towards LED lights comes from the wide array of cheap LED lights that can be bought from sites like ebay or Amazon. These lights grab the attention of those who dont know any better and think any LED light will work just fine in their truck. The result is a bulb which produces massive glare and poor down road projection as a result of poorly designed LED chip placement. If you get LEDs from a reputable brand like diode dynamics or morimoto they design their lights so that the LED chips sit in nearly the same spot as a halogen bulb would. This results in a light that is optically optimized for use in halogen housings and produces a beam pattern that is stock or very close to stock but just brighter.

If you have the time, watch this video. It might change the way you think about LED lights:

https://youtu.be/oGl2Mz0bUA4

You can see it firsthand yourself, the tests don't lie. All bulbs shown were from reputable brands that know how to design LED lights to work in halogen housings. You can see they all maintain an excellent beam pattern while providing a healthy improvement in lux and color.

So in conclusion, yes, I agree that halogen housings are not designed to be used with LED bulbs. If you go and put any old LED bulb in a halogen housing you will most likely find that it produces glare and a terrible beam pattern. But there are exceptions. If you decide to go the LED route please purchase your bulbs from reputable brands and I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find that your headlights will be much brighter with little to no negative side effects.

Headlight Revolution is a great resource. All the lights they sell whether it be LED or HID they test to ensure they work as intended and as advertised. The products on their site are good stuff from what I can see and you really can't go wrong with any of them imo.

P.S.: No, I am not sponsored by any of the brands or companies I mentioned. I am just an advocate for good LED bulbs as I think many people are missing out due to the large number of people that do nothing but bash LEDs.

Tommyb08 and Pro-Taco like this.
  17. Jun 11, 2019 at 1:59 PM
    kiki111

kiki111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2019 SR
    but LEDs will surpass all HIDs when the technology catches up and my opinions don't go cheap on LEDs there are some nice high-end ones that do a very nice job they are definitely whiter and cleaner than HIDs

18. Jun 11, 2019 at 2:06 PM
    squarenone

squarenone Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    18 Cement DCSB 6sp-mt TRD Off Road 4x4
    Fricken lasers man, everything else is old tech.

19. Jun 11, 2019 at 2:11 PM
    andrewkissam

andrewkissam Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport, DCSB, Silver Sky Metallic
    heritage grille, TRD beadlock wheels, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, rokblokz mudflaps, BFG KO2s 265/75r16, 2nd gen running boards, chin spoiler delete, bed mat, Toyota all weather floor mats, Diode Dynamics LED headlight conversion, LED reverse and plate lights, LED interior lights
    This is what I was trying to get at in my post. You've gotta go high end if you go with LEDs. They are definitely better than halogens and in some cases even better than HIDs. Cheap ebay LEDs do nothing but a disservice to the buyer and to the industry.

Rewilliams likes this.
  20. Jun 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM
    skierd

skierd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR DCSB
    Going off of the test results in the video, the LED lows produce a slightly higher lux reading than the stock h11 long life bulb. The GE +130 h11’s were tested at roughly 2x the lux of stock in @crashnburn80 ’s testing. If the goal is more light on the road, how are the LED’s better?

Edit - I am intrigued by the high beam results. I’d like to see more tests before I spend $200 on replacement H9 bulbs, but more light is almost always welcome.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    foodforbears and Boghog1 like this.
To Top