1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are these LEDs any good?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by BlazinBlueTaco, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Jun 11, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    andrewkissam

andrewkissam Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport, DCSB, Silver Sky Metallic
    heritage grille, TRD beadlock wheels, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, rokblokz mudflaps, BFG KO2s 265/75r16, 2nd gen running boards, chin spoiler delete, bed mat, Toyota all weather floor mats, Diode Dynamics LED headlight conversion, LED reverse and plate lights, LED interior lights
    You're going to get different results with different types of LED bulbs just like you get different results with different halogen bulbs. I forgot that video doesn't feature the diode dynamics bulbs which I am running.

This video tests the diode dynamics sl1 in various vehicles and in the tacoma it produces nearly twice as much lux as the stock bulb:

https://youtu.be/mZSNrvB_gEE

I really do believe diode dynamics is a superior brand when it comes to LEDs. If you do some research and look at some of the videos on their YouTube channel you will see they seem to really know what they're doing and put a lot of thought into their R&D and use superior materials and engineering techniques.

Even in a LED bulb that only produces marginally more light than stock there's more to it than light output. With LEDs you get a crisp white light that is not only aesthetically pleasing but also results in more contrast on the road. Things like lane markings, street signs, and road hazards all seem to sort of pop out at you in my experience due to the increase in contrast that white light provides you. With the yellowish light of halogens objects in front of you seem to blend into the road surface a little more.

Tommyb08 likes this.
  2. Jun 11, 2019 at 3:24 PM
    513Mugsy

513Mugsy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport ext cab V6/6spd
    Not much
    So I read the threads and read them again. But after a friend changed his tundra over to LED, I was sold.

So I searched through tons of didn't models and read rate listings for quality, etc... This is what I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Headlight-Headlights-Conversion-Temperature/dp/B07BT9VZKW

I bought 2 packs of H11 so I could change both the headlights and fog lights. Boy what a difference. Tons brighter on the low beam, doesn't shine much more down the road as they throw more light in the ditches on both sides of the road. High beams are incredible! For sure more light, another 50-75 feet further down the road. Love them.

These rotate in the base that locks into the headlight backside. That way you can turn the blade straight up and down to adjust the light they throw.

Hope this helps.

Ruggybuggy likes this.
  3. Jun 11, 2019 at 3:25 PM
    Tullie D

Tullie D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tullie
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 V6 AC 2WD
    Extang Encore, Bed lights, Grill lights, Flux Capacitor
    Do you know what Facebook is good for?

:notsure::notsure::notsure:

Me neither. I don't trust ANYTHING from Facebook.

Boghog1 likes this.
  4. Jun 11, 2019 at 3:56 PM
    LTG4087

LTG4087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LT
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road
    Technology of LED in projector headlights has and continues to improve, and I think you can find some that will be acceptable. But if you want to go that route, be prepared to pay well over $100 for the bulbs. Despite their claims, the $20-50 deals on Amazon and other vendors will in the end just cause you grief. I put some high output halogens in and love the light output but I'm still wanting for a cooler light. Still contemplating.

5. Jun 11, 2019 at 5:22 PM
    taoist

taoist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Baraboo
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Ruggybuggy and Tommyb08 like this.
  6. Jun 11, 2019 at 9:15 PM
    Captqc

Captqc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD AC Off Road
    I’m also running the Diode Dynamics SL1 LED’s and am very happy with them, the stock bulbs suck big time so a couple of candles are an improvement over stock!

Tommyb08 likes this.
  7. Jun 12, 2019 at 2:07 AM
    Travelinman301

Travelinman301 4 x 4 Fanatic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl Tacoma TRD Sport 4 x 4 DCSB
    I've been using Xenon Depot (one of the TW sponsors) LED's for about 7 months on a stock Sport and they have outperformed the stock offering hands down. I'm certainly not going back to halogen.

8. Jun 12, 2019 at 4:22 AM
    Garab

Garab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport MT6 DCSB
    OVtune 1.05 91 TRD Sema wheels 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT/3 SL ADM
    No matter what LED you put in the stock housing its light output is going to be just as crappy as stock. The only reason to go LED is for aesthetics in matching the DRL strip. So to answer your question, no.

Doesnt matter how high end you go, if youre putting LED bulbs in the stock projector housings they are going to underperform and wont be much better than stock. Until you've actually got empirical data like crashnburn80s experiment that supports your placebo observation, i'll have a listen. There's too many fanbois here that will buy something and emphatically believe their purchase is irrefutably the best product on the market with zero evidence to back their claims. They'll defend their stance impudently completely in the face of evidence that disproves their belief.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Rainoffire, Deucer01 and Tullie D like this.
  9. Jun 12, 2019 at 5:24 AM
    PvilleJohn

PvilleJohn #NORM Instagram @Jczarnick

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Powdersville SC
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    3" Icon stage 2 lift, TRD PRO wheels, BFG K02 AT's, ARE bed cap
    OP....I can tell you first hand that a quality LED bulb is a massive improvement over the stock halogen low beams. Don't use the cheap LEDs because they do not have the adjustable collar. The LED has to be turned the right way inside the housing in order to project that beam forward. I use Putco Silverlux Pro and they're not cheap but they're the best. The patented weave cloth heat sinks on the back of each bulb eliminate noisy cooling fans that will eventually stop working and cause the LED to overheat. Best bulb I have ever used.

https://www.amazon.com/Putco-280011-Silver-Headlight-Conversion/dp/B01B9K4EW4

Tommyb08 likes this.
  10. Jun 12, 2019 at 10:23 AM
    The_Devil

The_Devil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    DIY Tonneau, Toolbox, Lift, TRD Wheels, TRD Grill
    It happens to all of us, but you previously stated that it was "required". The use of the word required seems to be what is being challenged.

The person responding is pointing out that it is not required, unless of course you mean that you have a preference for the retrofit to meet your own set of standards.

GreyBaldTaco likes this.
  11. Jun 12, 2019 at 10:26 AM
    The_Devil

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I am always weary when changing fog lights. Fog is the condition where having brighter, whiter etc lights provides a worse situation.

12. Jun 12, 2019 at 10:34 AM
    The_Devil

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    One of the consequences of many current businesses manufacturing overseas is that the factory that produces high end products for a name brand, can be used/replicated to produce off brand products of similar design, and potentially using the same quality of component.

Not saying it's right, but I know it happens. So the result is that for every quality name brand product manufactured in China, there is probably a knock off version lifted from the intellectual property of said brand.

No personal experience regarding LEDs, bit just a statement in general.

GreyBaldTaco likes this.
  13. Jun 12, 2019 at 10:47 AM
    Trah

Trah well...

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red TRD Sport ACLB
    Pro-Taco likes this.
  14. Jun 12, 2019 at 12:12 PM
    merntoid

merntoid Member

Member:
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4 6MT
    When I first got my truck I bought one of the relatively cheap led bulbs from Amazon that got 4.5 star reviews.

Popped them in, and they looked good facing the front.

After a dark country back road drive in rain, I realized that the light output was pretty subpar.

Did a lot of research and even went with GE Megalight Ultra 130's, but wasn't happy with the color matching and the exptected life expectancy of them even though the light output was good.

In the end, I found a youtube review from runnin 4 tacos on DDM Sabre LEDs

https://youtu.be/d03aEcvpW0k

They looked fairly bright from the review, so I took a chance on them.

Couldn't be happier and the light output is as bright as they are reviewed.

15. Jun 12, 2019 at 12:25 PM
    Pro-Taco

Pro-Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR DCSB 4X4 Prem/Tech Cement
    Pro: grille, skid, exhaust, suspension, shifter. Sema wheels, Westin side steps, Mori fogs
    Couldn't disagree with you more. You have to try for yourself before making such statement.

Tommyb08 and GreyBaldTaco like this.
  16. Jun 12, 2019 at 12:27 PM
    MunchTIME

MunchTIME Well-Known Member

Member:
    SD, CA
    I've always been worried about Fire Explosions. Especially from my headlights.

skierd likes this.
  17. Jun 12, 2019 at 2:05 PM
    LTG4087

LTG4087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LT
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road
    Is there a lot of this? I've never seen a news story about it but of course lack of that doesn't mean they don't exist. Just never hear or seen one, so personally, I wouldn't sweat it. Of course I live on the edge. :plane:

18. Jun 13, 2019 at 1:04 AM
    Garab

Garab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport MT6 DCSB
    OVtune 1.05 91 TRD Sema wheels 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT/3 SL ADM
    I have tried them and junked them

19. Jun 13, 2019 at 1:21 AM
    Pro-Taco

Pro-Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR DCSB 4X4 Prem/Tech Cement
    Pro: grille, skid, exhaust, suspension, shifter. Sema wheels, Westin side steps, Mori fogs
    Exactly what brand have you tried? As mentioned before, many brands make them but only few that make them "shine".

20. Jun 13, 2019 at 4:38 AM
    Tommyb08

Tommyb08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NJ - Ocean County
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport Black
    ME-SO goods and other stuff...
    I have these as well, huge improvement over stock and the h9s, there def are some haters on leds here. You can't go cheap on them or you will have crappy quality. These hikari's are made very well and optimized for the projector and sits right where the halogens sit. Wouldn't go back to halogen, thats for sure.

To Top