1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are toyota coils side specific?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rzimm001, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Sep 9, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    I need to temporarily remove my Icon coilovers today and reinstall my billy 5100 coilovers with the toyota coils. I noticed that one coil has a dot of red paint and the other a dot of green paint. Is that what I think it is? Green is generally starboard (right side) and the red is generally port (left side). I know the rear leaf springs are side specific as one says RH and the other says LH. Input please? I did some searching but all I found was that the first gen is side specific.

2. Sep 9, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Yes, They are side specific. I cant remember what side what color goes though...

3. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Thanks Chris. Anyone have some more insight on which color goes where? Green on the right?

4. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Your best option....is to keep them separated (and write down what side gets what color) and don't mix 'em up.

Also...If you look at the coils themselves, one of them is probably longer than the other (when they're not compressed).

The longer coil generally goes on the drivers side (atleast that's how it was on the 1st gens).

5. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    SplitDecision

SplitDecision Phones Ringin Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    Haywood Jablowme
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100x4, Truxedo lo pro QT,Hid Retro,2011 painted grill,Alpine head unit,Foglight mod,NFAB steps
    On my 2010 the driver side is purple and white and passenger side is orange and white.

6. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    They're already mixed up and the coils are on the bilstein shocks already. Can't tell which one is longer.

Hmm... This is different from mine. I don't even know what to make up purple and orange. That's an interesting color code. Maybe I'll have to call Toyota.

7. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Your best bet is to hit up someone with the same year, body, and drive config as your truck. Have them check and see what color is where.

8. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Alright..

I have a 2008 Pre-runner, Access Cab, Silver. Anyone?

9. Sep 9, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    clintonjeffries

clintonjeffries Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    Definitely subscribed.

My truck seems to be a little higher on one side now that I lifted it... I wonder if I switched them by accident when I installed my lift and if that makes a noticeable difference haha damn...

10. Sep 9, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Okay I just finished putting the billys back on with the springs in this orientation. Green on the driver's side and Red on the passenger side. The difference in ride height between the left side and right is about a half inch, leaning towards the drivers side. I had them on before in the reverse orientation (Green on the right) and that seemed worse. I had about a one inch difference between left side and right. So the jury is still out on this matter but in my opinion the green painted spring should be on the driver's side.

11. Sep 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Here I think Im just in time, My drivers side is red, and passenger is green. A year before you so I bet this is correct

12. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    I will check my truck tomorrow and post back.

13. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    I did mine one at a time........notice it still leaned

Products Discussed in