1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

argh, i need to vent. tint debacle.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by builthatch, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Dec 13, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Settle down. Not saying you did any of that. Just saying once you find someone that does damn good work, don't worry if you have to travel a bit and pay a bit more for them.

My Audio and Tint guys both live 1.5 hours from me. I'm ok with that.

2. Dec 13, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    builthatch

builthatch [OP] MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    uhh, thanks. once again you post in a barely relevant fashion. i've been on this forum for but a few days and i've noticed that quite often about your posts and attitude. keep in mind nobody can read your mind and/or notice your expressions while posting on a message board.

3. Dec 13, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I'm sorry I don't light your fire baby :rolleyes:

4. Dec 13, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    builthatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    no, you do.

love/hate.

make up sex?

5. Dec 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

Not unless you look better than your avatar.

6. Dec 15, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    builthatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    well, if you look like yours, we should be ok.

anyway i got my new OE glass installed today. i was going to do it myself but my go-to body shop said it would cost 20 bucks so i said why not - they have always been very careful and generally great. so now i have brand new glass w/o a gouge!

i finally called the dude. i told him that there were no hard feelings and i've gotten over it, but he has to consider how this occurred. he admitted that he could have done it, even though he doesn't know how, but considering where it is and how attentive i am with things...he's not going to say he didn't do it. he suggested that maybe something was in the channel and scratched it - that would be ok but the scratch doesn't follow the direction of the window going down. it takes a totally different angle. AND, there is a perfect right angle coming off of it, as if a corner of something was cut on top of the window. at any rate, since the tint was proprietary to me, he can't retint it, which he offered, but i told him i removed the horrible tint job and was not interested in having him do it again. needless to say this guy didn't offer me $ and i didn't expect him to. demanding it would do nothing either, and there is no way this is worth pursuing further and wasting more time.

7. Dec 15, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    Firetech

Firetech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Off Road
    I had my windows tinted a couple of weeks ago by a shop that did my wife's Highlander a couple years ago. When I picked it up he told me not to put the windows down for 4 days and that there may be bubbles or waves, but not to touch them and they would go away. I didn't have any bubbles but there were some waves. Sure enough after about 3 days all they waves were gone. He gave me a lifetime warranty.

8. Dec 15, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Self portrait.

Sucks, but sometimes chances end that way. Glad you got the glass taken care of, and I'm sure you'll background-check your next tint place to the hilt.

9. Dec 15, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    builthatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    thanks Sir.

my normal tint shop told me today that they would use my product, after not wanting to for the past several years (they only use Johnson film). i took it in and they did a great job, no complaints!

10. Dec 15, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Doublecab TRD Sport Debadged
    Camburg 4" Spindles, Icon CB 2.5 adjustables front and rear, Total Chaos Upper/Lower CAs, Alcan 5" Rear Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, 5" SS Brakelines, 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 18" KMC Monsters, Grill Craft Black Mesh Upper, Predator Running Boards, All Pro Rear Bumper and Hitch, Wet Okole Covers, Toyota Roof Rack, Limo Tint, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Mats, Redline Hood Struts, Red Top Odyssey battery, BDF Light Bar, Foglight anytime Mod, Lo Pro QT Truxedo Tonneau cover, Rocky Mount Bike Pegs.
    I'm sorry to hear that dude because that really sucks. I have been in the same boat as you when I got my H3 tinted and the tint guy had a warranty....big joke it was! I had bubbles, creases in the tint, and the guy slit a couple of my factory seals with his razor blade. I paid that jerk off around 180.00 bucks. I had him redo everything, and then some....still disappointing job.

It always sucks when someone doesn't take pride in their work. The best you could do is suck it up and let him know he f****d your tint and window and tell him he shouldn't be tinting if he doesn't know how. I would ask for a refund, but I doubt it will happen since you removed the tint. And, I would tell him I would never recommend "him" to anyone. It is ok to hurt peoples feelings or their ego sometimes if it causes you grief.

I will get off my soapbox now. :)

11. Dec 16, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    builthatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    i agree with all of that.

so, here is the finished product. it looks very green here for some odd reason, blame my blackberry's camera. in real life it is very very light blue. it looks like mercedes quartz glass. i like it because it is barely noticeable, which is good in a no front tint state like NJ BUT it still blocks all the UV and rejects like 40something% of the heat from the outside.

e13d2dc0_32ddf753c9aca9e6eb950d35c9a64f646fca927d.jpg

a02f7969_59743f90860f97ee2d64aa5f4ac9d5e61612001d.jpg

12. Dec 16, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    I dunno man, I can with out a doubt definitely tell there's tint on there.

13. Dec 16, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    builthatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    i know, the overcast sky plus bb camera really enhance it. but, imagine a mercedes with quartz glass, with the back windows tinted dark. that is what this looks like IRL.

my mazda didn't have privacy glass and it looked so awesome with just the hp50 all around, but unfort with these trucks you are stuck with privacy glass.

14. Dec 17, 2010 at 1:32 AM
    toyoda

toyoda Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    To be honest- and I'm not trying to be rude- you should have immediately left his house after seeing that the tent on his personal vehicle was such a garbage job. If that's how he advertises his work why are you shocked this happened?

Your only real option is to either buy a new window or try to find one from a junkyard. It's a bum deal but you shouldn't be surprised it happened. Best of luck to you.

15. Dec 17, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    builthatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    i do understand your point. i wasn't surprised at all after doing the math with his personal tint being bad and some other warning signs, but i was shocked he scratched the glass. but i agree with you, though hindsight is 20/20. i didn't get to see his truck up close, the vehicle he takes to jobs. i know many amazing contractors who have their house half finished...or amazing body shop/paint guys who drive jalopies with rust :shrugs:

what overrode my fear when seeing the stuff that worried me was the fact he's been doing it exclusively for 25 years, like, it's not a side thing, and that he has done my brother in laws cars, many of them. these are all the things that played out in my mind. "how can he possibly be THAT bad". but, as we all know now, he was ; )

but yeah, i did get new glass a few days ago and as mentioned above my go-to shop decided that they would install my own tint, as opposed to using exclusively their own stuff which has been the case in years past.

16. Dec 17, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    thisiskirk88

thisiskirk88 I aint Captain Kirk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    11 DC Prerunner
    take some of your huge football player looken buddies down with you and ask sternly ask for a fix, if not break his legs.... come on new trucks cant have scratches!!

17. Dec 17, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    builthatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    haha, wtf!

:D

Products Discussed in

To Top