1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Arizona CCW

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Sido, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Oct 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    Sido

Sido [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    None
    Has anyone taken a course recently that was worthwhile? I am not really interested in a fast, quick course, would rather have something really in depth where all facets of the law and use of force are covered.

My other question is about the permit itself. Is it worth getting after taking a class? I don't really travel to other states, and I don't plan on buying firearms in the near future. For those of you that have the permit, have there been times when you benefited from it?

2. Oct 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM
    Sido

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    None
    I have a 9mm, one of my friends has two young kids and his wife wanted it out of the house, which was perfect for me because I was looking and liked the gun. I just don't see a need to buy any other ones at this stage in my life (not much room, need a safe if I want more). My main reasons for getting the gun were hunting, hiking, and generally being alone outside. I never really wanted a handgun, but my first time hunting near the border was enough to convince me otherwise. And I thought it might be fun to get a HAM tag, would be more challenging than a scoped rifle.

The liability is huge and I'm not trying to walk around town like Rambo. Like you say, you pull it out it better be for a good reason, there will be a lot to answer for.

3. Oct 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    There is a "technicality" benefit to the CCW for an AZ resident.

The Federal Gun Free School Zone law (son of actually, the original was tossed, it was brought back to life under yet another abuse of the Commerce Clause) requires that all firearms, handgun or long gun, be transported in a secure, locked container or locked mount when within 1000ft of any K-12 school.
    The law provides an exemption to those in possession of a CCW issued by the state.

I put "the" in italics because if I, as a California resident, have a California CCW, that only exempts me from the GFSZ law as written when I am within California. Likewise, if I am in possession of an AZ non-resident permit, I am only exempt in AZ, regardless of the fact that the AZ permit is accepted by some 25 other states.
    AZ, Alaska, Vermont, and Wyoming having Constitutional Carry does not provide a legal exemption under the federal law.

I say "technicality" because it is a federal law. I am not aware of anyone who has been charged under it as a sole offense. It is typically used as an add-on charge when an arrest is made for other crimes that may include a federal offense.
    We even had a fairly high-profile case in my area where a man was arrested, charged, and convicted under California's own version, 626.9PC, but he was not charged under the federal law.
    It is extremely rare for local authorities to charge under federal law for cases where no other crime is involved.

As to the class... I have not taken it, but I know people who have.
    It is pretty basic. It is good to have, but if your goal is education, I would recommend continuing beyond the basic class.
    There are a lot of good instructors out there, many are retired LEO, most of the good ones are retired military, or both.

But do keep the BS filter active. I imagine it is better in AZ, but in California, some of the worst places to learn about California gun laws are:
    Gun shops
    Firearms instructors
    Cops

When a reference is made to something being illegal, make a note of it. If the section of the PC is not cited, try and look it up later to confirm. Be on the lookout for words like "preferably"... that word is not found in codified law.

4. Oct 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    cytocycle

cytocycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expedition Build - 2012 TRD Off-Road
    4.88, Radflo 2.5" Resi,ARB Front Bumper with fogs, TJM 9,000 synthetic rope winch with Pro-Link, AllPro Bolt on Sliders with fill plates, Asfir Aluminum Front Skid, Mid Skid, Gas Skid, Transfer Skid, AllPro Shackle flip kit with Timbern, CBI HC rear Bumper, Rigid Mesh Grill with 20" LED bar, White Sport Grill Opening, ARB Dual Compressors and 2 gallons of air tanks for air tools, Dakar Leaf Pack+2,front sway bar delete, Camburg UCA's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines on all wheels fixed mushy brakes, UltraGuage
    I got a CCW because I got pulled over in a pack of 3 motorcycles and I was trailing slower, and the cop gave me all sorts of shit, whereas my 2 friends had CCW's and even expired insurance and I got the written warning... So to me it seems it's a way to validate you aren't a criminal as long as you declare it immediately.

I took the class because I wanted to understand the laws of using a weapon in this state, but the course was really short and wouldn't recommend it. I took the class in may and got the CCW license in Sept... crap slow delivery..

5. Oct 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    DESRTRNNR

DESRTRNNR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD off road 4x4
    if you want more challenge get into archery, a 9mm probably doesnt offer enough penetration to take down a decent size pig. Just wounding an animal is cruel, if you cant kill it effectively then dont shoot it.

6. Oct 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    You need some kind of safe now, even if it is just a $60 Stack-On or a Document Safe that you pick up from Walmart.

When we are home, our safe is unlocked.
    When we are not home, it is locked.

7. Oct 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM
    Sido

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    None
    Yea I need to get a safe, will look around for one. Excellent post about the technicality/ constitutional carry and federal law, did not know that.

8. Oct 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    Sido

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    None
    What kind of course did you take? Would the 7 hour course have been better?

9. Oct 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    t.hornstra

t.hornstra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    White with 4 wheels
    Little this. Little that 4x4 Swap’d PreRunner
    Wait, there's no permit required to conceal carry in AZ?

10. Oct 7, 2013 at 11:59 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Nope, just gotta be 21+
    AFAIK it's like alaska.

11. Oct 8, 2013 at 12:01 AM
    t.hornstra

t.hornstra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    White with 4 wheels
    Little this. Little that 4x4 Swap’d PreRunner
    And there's one more reason for me to move. I've been lookin at moving there for a while. I loved growin up in CA, but now that I'm on my own, it SUCKS.

Looks like I'll be one step closer!

12. Oct 8, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    Good luck with moving, our family is moving to MS by the end of next year at the latest, but i may be moving to VA when i turn 18.

13. Oct 8, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '07 base taco. Sold. Now Taco-less
    Factory cruise added, wood storage box in bed, wood center console/armrest, charcoal air filter delete.
    As an Az resident you can carry exposed on your person or in your car at 18 years age and concealed on your person or in your car at 21; no permits needed. If you reside in a state with the same laws, Az recognizes the same. If you're from a restrictive state then you don't have the rights in Az unless you have a permit from a recognized state.

14. Oct 8, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    cool, thanks for clarifying.

In MS i could conceal carry in my vehicle, home, or property at 18, not sure on open carry age though.

15. Oct 8, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    TheRedHorseman

TheRedHorseman Well-Known Member

Member:
    The biggest benefit to having your CCW is saving time when purchasing a firearm. The dealer just photocopies your DL and CCW and you're done after filling out the form. Often when ordering a gun in from out of state, dealers will give a discount on the transfer for CCW holders since it saves them a phone call to the NICS mumblers.

16. Oct 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    GTABurnout

GTABurnout Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Crewmax Rock Warrior TRD SC
    Icons, TRD Supercharger, TRD Exhaust, TRD Intake
    As a CCW Permit holder I rairly carry. I would recommend any one who wants to carry Concealed to take the class learn the do's and don't when carrying. I understand the need to carry at times but some suituations are going to get a lot worse if a gun is involved. I am not saying the actual situation will get worse but you as the CCW holder is in greater risk in court.

17. Oct 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    TheRedHorseman

TheRedHorseman Well-Known Member

Member:
    How?

18. Oct 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    JTS2016TACO

JTS2016TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM 4x4 TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    See my build thread in my signature
    I took mine from caswells but the guys over at Desert Valley Firearms have a really good one that my neighbor and his wife went to.

19. Oct 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Can you quote the statute that prohibits non-residents from carrying concealed without a permit? I could not find it in the Arizona Revised Statutes.

20. Oct 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    It does not exist. He is not correct on that. Californians may open or concealed carry in AZ whether they have a permit or not.

There are only three other states that have similar statutes, Alaska (concealed carry for all non-prohibited adults 21+, state issues permits for purposes of reciprocity), Vermont (concealed carry for all non-prohibited adults 21+, state does not issue permits), and Wyoming (concealed carry for all non-prohibited residents 21+, state issues permit), therefore, 46 other states have "more restrictive" laws than AZ.
    AZ has been a no-permit open carry state for a long time.

Products Discussed in

To Top