1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Arizona Fishing

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by TACO 12B, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Apr 30, 2014 at 9:41 PM
    TaylorU

TaylorU KC HiLiTES Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    ADS 2.5" coilovers, Light Racing UCAs, 2.125" rear ADS shocks, Raptor-Style Grille using Homertaco mesh and BAMF letters, MB 352 wheels, 285/75r16 Cooper ATPs, Mini D2S 3.0 HID Projectors retrofitted, KC Flex 20", KC Pro6 light bar, KC G4 LED fog lights, Pelfreybilt front bumper
    How did I miss this?! It's my new favorite thread :D

Anytime I go, I'll post when, where, and my setup. I usually go in the White Mountains because I have a cabin up there with all my good gear, but occasionally I'll go elsewhere around Tucson. Within the past two months I hit up Patagonia lake and Silverbell lake and actually caught a few good fish at each.

Also, everyone wish me luck! I applied for a summer internship with the Apache Trout crew up in Whiteriver, so hopefully I get it!

2. May 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM
    Draco

Draco Draco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 double cab trd sport
    Omu 3" lift
    I go fishing about every weekend up to Bartlett, and since its warming up there is nice fishing.

3. May 14, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yeah man, Bartletts been on fire! The spawn there was killer!

4. May 14, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    4runnercaged

4runnercaged Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock
    pics of minnow trap?? sounds cool
    nice man! good luck with that :)

bartlett was dam good when i went a few weekends ago.
    it sure has been.
    we went like 2 weekends ago and were catching fish all day. we had live shad but still, had a great day of catching fish. and we didnt even start fishing till noon, and we stopped at like 4 pm and everyone caught good fish.
    i hooked in a 5lb large mouth :)

5. May 14, 2014 at 9:04 AM
    Draco

Draco Draco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 double cab trd sport
    Omu 3" lift
    Ya i plan on heading out there this saturday, I did a little work to my boat. i want to see how it handles out on the lake.

6. May 14, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    4runnercaged

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock
    i normally dont take my boat to bartlett cause its so far out of the way. i normally wheel there since i can get there from the 87 freeway which is right by my house.

i normally take the boat to saguaro, canyon, and parker.

in parker on the colorado river, there is some nice small mouth to be caught. i tore it up last time i was there too.

7. May 14, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    Draco

Draco Draco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 double cab trd sport
    Omu 3" lift
    right on, i want to try saguaro lake sometime. i havnt fished there at all yet.

8. May 14, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    4runnercaged

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock
    saguaro is really a hit or miss.
    but if you can catch live shad then your golden :)
    right now the water is super clear and you can see fish spawning. great time to fish saguaro.

9. May 14, 2014 at 3:26 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Here's the minnow trap in full view, with the bait/offload door open. I just cut a hole in the trap and cut a separate piece of curved wire mesh larger than the hole size, used some zip ties for a hinge, and put a metal hook on a spring. Close the door and hook it closed. Makes it easy to re-bait and empty out your catch into a bucket. This trap is about 20" in length and about 8" in diameter. It's light but strong, and sinks just fine. The mesh bag is for bait, and I just close the trap door on the nylon cinch rope on the bag to keep it centered.

[​IMG]

Here's a closer shot of one of the ends. The trip itself is just an 8" diameter roll of 1/4" gauge chicken wire mesh, cut and rolled so it overlaps and is zip tied. Overlapping the seam by a couple inches adds stability and creates a spine for strength. The ends are just cut pieces that I offset rolled into a cone to fit in the hole. The end cones are just zip tied as well. The small end of the cone where the minnows enter is about 3/4" diameter with the wire flared out away from the hole.

[​IMG]

Another view of the end cones

[​IMG]

And here's the collection of homemade crawdad traps next to the minnow trap, which is on the far right. The green trap was my first make, using hog clamps instead of zip ties. That method took way too long and the hog clamps rusted, but it still works great. I used mesh for the entrance cones on the green one, then got smart and used wire mesh on the other 2. I also have 6 more collapsible wire/netting crab/crawdad traps as well, not pictured. The green one got hung up on a log last year so it's a bit warped but it survived to live another day.

[​IMG]

Just tie some nylon rope to the end of the trap and throw it out there with some bait in the mesh bag. For minnows, a piece of bread does just fine. Even when the minnows are smaller than the 1/4" mesh, they still get stuck in there when you pull it out of the water quickly. I like to only use the bigger minnows, so I retrieve it slowly so the small ones can escape out of the mesh. For catching crawdads, a cut piece of fish works best. Any kind of meat, really, but they love a cut trout or bluegill and will come from all over to check it out.

The larger crawdad traps work good for catching mid-size bluegills, too. Bread also works fine for them.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  10. May 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    Heading to the white mtns ... Fish on!

11. May 14, 2014 at 3:38 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Git some! Let us know how it goes.

12. May 14, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    Will do! Hitting big and crescent lake . Then heading over to reservation lake for a Couple days!
    Temps in the 70's. I just hope the wind will lay down ....
    Az

13. May 14, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Nice. We're headed out to Bartlett this weekend to go for some big cats. Hoping to catch more of these this year...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. May 14, 2014 at 8:45 PM
    06RedComa

06RedComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DC Sport
    Kings, Camburg 1.25" UCAs, Dakar leafs, TRD exhaust, Grillcraft grille, All-Pro APEX Bumper, Kenwood DNX6960, Avid Sliders, SnugTop Rebel, 285/75/16 Hankook Dynapro atm

Let us know how they are. I hit up reservation every year, use to be pacheta but it has never been the same since it dried up to a puddle and became catch and release. Have you fished any of the trophy lakes up there?

15. May 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    cmyersgo

cmyersgo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Queen Creek AZ
    Me and my brothers are planning a camping trip up to the white mountains this month. I haven't been up there yet so we are just planning on fishing the black river.

16. May 14, 2014 at 10:19 PM
    bueller

bueller Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Where is that? Rattlesnake Cove? I just got all my fishing gear out because my son is wanting to go. We usually do a lot catfishing but haven't been yet this season.

If anyone is looking to go to Bartlett soon, count me in. I have a new reel I haven't got to try yet.

17. May 15, 2014 at 12:58 AM
    TaylorU

TaylorU KC HiLiTES Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    ADS 2.5" coilovers, Light Racing UCAs, 2.125" rear ADS shocks, Raptor-Style Grille using Homertaco mesh and BAMF letters, MB 352 wheels, 285/75r16 Cooper ATPs, Mini D2S 3.0 HID Projectors retrofitted, KC Flex 20", KC Pro6 light bar, KC G4 LED fog lights, Pelfreybilt front bumper
    I'm actually on my way to Show Low too tomorrow for a couple days of work. Hopefully I can find time to get out on the boat!

18. May 15, 2014 at 7:35 AM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    I've fished christmas tree and cyclone but it's been a while. Also fished pacheta before it was catch and release. Also drift fence, Hawley , earl park and horseshoe and Sunrise. Back in the day, I would get my year fishing permit and was up there as much as possible.

I will give a report, when I return, I've got my new ARB fridge for this trip. Pretty excited!

Az

19. May 15, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    Jeyr

Jeyr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeyr
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2011 White Double Cab
    Icon suspension, one off interior rack, DeMello 3 hoop fromt bumper
    Hit the backside of Saguaro Lake yesterday and the Bluegill are spawning we couldn't get a line out of the water w out a bite. TONS of fun.

20. May 15, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    SB cove, so not far from Rattlesnake. I used to fish Rattlesnake cove all the time when you could drive right down to the water, now they have that damn parking lot. Last I checked, they had the group area closed off. I should call my friend at the forest service and see if it's back open again. Great place to reserve and have a big meet.

Products Discussed in

To Top