1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Army ditching their new unis?

Discussion in 'Military' started by sammy87, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Oct 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    soldierguy

soldierguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access Cab 4X4 V6 6MT
    I got back from Afghanistan a few months ago, and wore the multicam there.

Overall, I liked it...MUCH better than the ACU, which blends into nothing except for a flowered couch. Less velcro, more buttons, and generally more durable. However, there are a few negatives:

- The boots that we were issued with the multicam were not comfortable at all...unbelievably hot, and very inflexible. They were the right size, but if I moved my feet at all (as in walking), I'd get blisters. Even after trying to break them in for a couple months before deployment, I ended up going back to the regular tan suede boots.

- The tan suede boots are comfortable, but get oil, grease, or blood on them and they're done. I have a pair that I wear when I ride my motorcycle to work...the left boot has a permanent black mark from my shifter. No amount of scrubbing will get stains out.

- The multicam pattern is good, but like the ACUs, the colors fade very quickly when subjected to the bleached dirty water that's typically used to wash them on most outposts. My multicams quickly looked like I had been washing them in teabags.

- MORE CROTCH REINFORCEMENTS!!! The bleach weakens the fabric and they blow out crotches all the time. It's more than a little uncomfortable to be sitting down, talking to your Afghan counterpart, and suddenly realize that things are feeling a little breezy downstairs.

- Reinforcement is needed where the top rear of the thigh pocket attaches to the pantleg. Again, likely due to the bleached water, the fabric weakens, and before you know it you're flashing thigh/a$$ to some Afghan dude wearing eyeliner and nail polish. Yes, I know the eyeliner & dyed nails are cultural things, but I'd rather not flash my a$$ at people....unless I like ya!:bananadance:

2. Oct 31, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    4banger09

4banger09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access cab 4cyl
    Leveled
    Baboons flash their asses as a sign of dominance or to attract mates

3. Nov 1, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    Molon Labe

Molon Labe Never LBS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica DC TRD 4x4 Auto V6
    see my build
    Soldierguy, I agree but I think the real issue is not the fabric or how it is misused.
    The army decided on the ACU cut (style not pattern) long before they picked the pattern. I dislike the cut and feel the BDU to be superior minus the shoulder pockets.

I remember using my units RFI funds to send our DCUs to SpecWarGear.com to have them modified to be more functional and reinforce the belt loops and seat (Raid BDU System). http://www.specwargear.com/

Actually, Crye Precision designed more than the MultiCam pattern, they designed a combat uniform that is superior to both the ACU and BDU cut.
    http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-APRCPE0232R/G3-Combat-Pants™

My ACUs and my MultiCam ACU cut uniforms have all experienced failures in the seat as well as rips in the knees and on the sides of the lower leg (from snags). All the sets of Crye combat pants that I have are still servicable and in good condition. I feel the Army did not want to spend the additional costs for the combat uniform cut. Also, I am sure some cubical dwelling bean counter felt that the combat pants with exterior knee pads would not look good in garrison.

Crye also designed one hell of a body armor system, but again, it cost too much for the military to spend per Soldier.

4. Nov 1, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    I like those G3 pants. Admin would like them too.... for obvious reasons.

5. Nov 1, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    This.

WTF? Almost any swinging dick that doesn't have a bird or star on their collar would probably tell you the same thing. We all bleed red.

yeah, waste of money time and effort. The geniuses that came up with this ACU nonsence should be held accountable.

6. Nov 1, 2012 at 7:52 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I'm sure the decision had absolutly nothing to do with a Senator/Congressman up for re election and one of the companies or factories was in their district and the decision was based on them providing more jobs, not what was best for the Army. Because that never happens.

Its actually really sad that inferior products are supplied to the guys on the ground. Its just unacceptable.

7. Nov 23, 2012 at 3:07 AM
    Reeves

Reeves Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail
    Multicam. Its the best pattern yet, yes it fades but with that it blends with sand even more. They have just about every piece of equipment in this patten already so lets stick with it. Garrison and Over seas. Im stacking up on uniforms through ADO so maybe they pick it as Garison uniform if not then i have plenty for hunting. And not to mention changing th ASU's again....

8. Nov 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM

0369 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Staff Sergeant
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    pretty boy stuff
    Lets face it, the "Big Army" has been full of bad decisions for a long time. Ive been on both sides of the fence, Active USMC and now Army Naty Guard. Deployed with both and am just amazed how different the two are. It starts from the top and you just cant fix stupid!!!! Dont get me wrong, I love the Military, been doing this for a long time, but.....the Army has way too many chiefs. Joe knows!!!

9. Nov 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    I did some medical training with the Army before my last deployment. As a active duty Corpsman all i can say is that i pick the right service. Im not saying the Army training is bad, it can however be better.

Oh and i didn't mind the ACU to much after i got used to it.

10. Nov 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4

The summer weight ABUs are already out. I have had a pair for about 3 months now. They are only being sold at 10 bases across the country. I picked mine up at Eglin AFB. It is like wearing BDUs again.

Products Discussed in

To Top