1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Army, Marines cancel Tuition Assistance programs

Discussion in 'Military' started by RyanLikesTacos, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Mar 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    You are hilarious.

I'm gonna stay out of the politics for obvious reasons, but yes, there's class division. That in and of itself isn't a problem. People will always be different classes because some are more motivated, gifted, and capable than others.

This is where things turn into, essentially, a moral debate. I can't really say I agree with the philosophical position that there shouldn't be classes. The question is whether or not everyone's playing by the same rules...the affluent, at this point in American history, certainly aren't. They've bought the referees.

Just like Brunes mentioned, the military has been way ahead of civilian work with benefits for a LONG time. Tuition Assistance barely exists at all in the civilian world any more. Same for pensions and pension medical coverage. And medical benefits for the currently employed get worse all the time.

I'm not saying those in the service don't deserve good benefits. What I'm saying is you can use the civilian sector as a barometer of what's going to happen to you 5 to 10 years from now.

Retiring at 38 with pension, full medical coverage, veteran discounts, GI Bill benefits, USAA, and a lot of other perks is a sweetass deal. And I think it's justified considering you are literally putting your life in the line with military service, and that military service is often very hard on and injurious to the body.

Here's the thing though: If those benefits get too far out of line with the civilian world, and they had, there's gonna be some kind of corrective adjustment.

2. Mar 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM
    MightyMouse-SCT

MightyMouse-SCT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    MightyMouse-SCT - 2011 LT 4x4 Desert Runner
    Long Travel Total chaos kit, fox shocks, smp fab , dmz sua, glassworks, method wheels.
    So people don't join to serve our country ? It's all about medical and tuitions ?

3. Mar 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I'd prefer to think of it as people join to serve our country, and since they are entering employment that requires sacrifice of much of their youth, health, and possibly life, they deserve pretty sweet benefits.

"Pretty sweet" is still defined in comparison to the rest of us though.

4. Mar 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat "Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Nebraska/South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    93 Pickup 4x4 [22R-E] 5MT
    OME suspension, LCE Performance parts, Konigs, etc. [see build]
    Pogs, or grunts? :stirthepot:

They're all duped anyway. Country doesn't care about em. Wait till they get out and get five years of free neglect/healthcare.

5. Mar 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    05TacoSr5

05TacoSr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Edmond, OK
    Vehicle:
    Gone but not forgotten
    That's the unwritten rule Air Force wide. I'm on my last class for my CCAF. Then I'm going to move onto SEJPME, then Course 14 after NCOA. I want to make sure that any EPR I have as a MSgt, I'll have a chance at getting Sr. Rater Endorsement. I didn't start taking school seriously until all these force management programs started kickin' in hardcore. The good 'ole days are over. :annoyed:

6. Mar 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD/SR5 4x4
    Suspension: Front - Bilstein 5100's/Eibach coils Rear - All Pro Expo Leafs/Rear Icon Remote Reservoir Shocks Wheels & Tires: 33x12.50x15 KM2's/Summit Racing 85 Black 8 Series Wheels/15x8/3.75" Backspacing [U]Armor:[/U] - [URL="http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/relentless-fabrication/152694-just-released-re
    Exactly, now it's all about training for stuff that won't happen and taking classes every day! Haha I work with retired military and they never got any type of degree while they were in.

7. Mar 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat "Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Nebraska/South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    93 Pickup 4x4 [22R-E] 5MT
    OME suspension, LCE Performance parts, Konigs, etc. [see build]
    For a lot of Jobs it is literally impossible to get any kind of degree while you're in. You just have to wait until you're out to take classes. I wish I could have taken advantage of that option but it just wasn't possible.

8. Mar 13, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Warren AFB, WY Originally: Spartanburg, SC
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner

Good luck on your last class. I just started getting serious last year, CLEPS and a couple classes on AMU, I'm down to 3 electives :rolleyes: and Math.

9. Mar 13, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    05TacoSr5

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Edmond, OK
    Vehicle:
    Gone but not forgotten
    That I can attest to because I didn't start having time for school until I got into unit where the military is the minority and I don't have people to rate on.

10. Mar 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    05TacoSr5

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Edmond, OK
    Vehicle:
    Gone but not forgotten
    AMU is the shizz :D

11. Mar 13, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    05TacoSr5

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Edmond, OK
    Vehicle:
    Gone but not forgotten
    I don't know what your job is but, just finish Speech, English, Math, Soc, Humanities and the rest will fall into place. You get credits for ALS and 7 level residency. Then look into AU-ABC, I don't have any insight on the new PME procedures so I can't help you there.

12. Mar 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 Black DCSB TRD OffRoad
    Inside: WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit, RCBS204 4x4 LED Light, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Wet Okole Seat Covers Outside: 6000K HID Headlights and Fogs, OKLEDLIGHTBAR 20” CREE Combo Light Bar, Dodge Sprinter D-Rings, CMC, Steel Extended Brake Lines, BORA 1" Spacers, Homer Raptor Grille, SOS Offroad Products Tire Carrier Armor: Elite Offroad Products Aluminum plate front bumper, Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, BAMF 80” sliders w/kickout, Relentless aluminum IFS skid, Relentless aluminum mid skid, Relentless Transfer Case skid Suspension: All-around: OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks Front: OME 886 Coils, Light Racing UCAs Rear: OME Dakar Leafs
    I'm glad the Navy has held back so far, I'm two classes short of my AA and while I would pay out of pocket, I wouldn't be entirely enthused about it.

13. Mar 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Warren AFB, WY Originally: Spartanburg, SC
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner

I had a retired CMSgt told us at Airman Leadership School a few years back say "It's not important why you decided to serve, rather THAT you decided to serve", it's kind of stuck with me.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  14. Mar 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    jhodge83

jhodge83 Any dog under 50# is a cat and cats are useless... Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC 4WD Sport
    wat?
    SEJPME is a joke, but for guard it is nice when going for SMSgt. Hoping to get MSgt this fall when my boss retires. 9 3/4 year MSgt.

15. Mar 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM
    raybin

raybin New Member

Member:
    Rapid City, SD
    Vehicle:
    05 DblCb TRD OR 6Spd
    Air Force has canceled as well

16. Mar 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    lockwire24

lockwire24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Diego, Ca. (Waiting to go back to Wa.)
    Vehicle:
    2012 MG DBL cab LB TRD sport
    Cobra CB, Firestik II w/ Relentless hood mount, 4x Innovation sliders, rims (painted w/ bedliner), TRD exhaust, Firestone Ride-Rites, home made grill insert, Leer XR, led bed lights, OME lift kit, LR uca, Pelfreybuilt front/rear bumpers
    I just got word today Navy gave up and not to expect to get it back until maybe beginning of fiscal year. And on top of that the civilians that work here will not be working on fridays.

17. Mar 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    S does this cover VA stuff too?

18. Mar 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    There is a department of Vets Affairs - Different budget, Different rules.

19. Mar 13, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Yea, just wondered if they were cutting their things like GI Bills and such.

20. Mar 14, 2013 at 4:13 AM
    jhodge83

jhodge83 Any dog under 50# is a cat and cats are useless... Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC 4WD Sport
    wat?
    GI Bills are still a go, even for active duty. this is just a suspension of 100% TA benefits.

To Top