1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Armytek Predator Flashlight Pass-Around List/Discussion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by anethema, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Aug 19, 2011 at 11:32 PM
    anethema

anethema [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
  2. Aug 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    i pm'd you late last week with my info

3. Aug 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    The Yellow Dart

The Yellow Dart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    07 //SR5 4x4
    OME 2.5" Lift, TC UCAs, LEER Cap, Sleeping platform, PA20-TOY
    I missed this because I was camping. Info sent.

4. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    goforlow

goforlow Middle aged old man

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 AC V6 6SP TRD OR SUPER WHITE
    working on it
    I was working all weekend. PM'd you my info.

5. Aug 22, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Sorry hookedontronics.

Got your PM before just forgot to mark by your name. Done now.

Marked the other two of you as well!

Flashlights arent here yet, so I'll leave the list open a bit later until I get them.

6. Aug 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    What exactly is the point of this?
    Do you work for this company and doing market research?

7. Aug 22, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    rcbs204

Member:
    So i am a Electrical Engineer by trade, and i gotta tell ya, that is by far the most complicated flashlight i have ever seen. IF you are gonna change the modes of this light to something other than factory defaults, in the field, you had better have that manual tattooed to your arm. Because you sure as hell are not going to remember it.

Oh, it is cool though, i do really like the firefly mode.
    May have to buy one for the hell of it, i have to take it apart and see what is going on in there!!

8. Aug 22, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    Mudman

Mudman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cerritos
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport
    lol I ordered one just because of how badass it looks, and specs are pretty legit. However I hardly understand the lingo involed in building one of those things. :D
    Was looking for something better than my push and play Streamlight Strion.

9. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    rcbs204

Member:
    yeah the abuse video is impressive to say the least!
    I too will more than likely order one, pretty damn cool light i must say!

10. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    covefrog08

covefrog08 swollen member

Member:
    Vancouver Island- Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 w/west coast pin-striping
    devil horns, weather tech floor mats, Camo seat cover, window visors, premier deck w/ 6 speakers and sub, checker plate tool box, diff breather relocate, Mag light & Fire Extinguisher behind seat
    those things look so sweet! i'm tempted to buy one and do some testing like they did in the vid on my own. like rcbs204 said though it does sound very complicating to modify... wish i had more posts id try and get on the tester list, would be fun to try it out with my search and rescue team.

11. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    Mudman

Mudman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cerritos
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport
    I'm hoping mines comes in by the end of this week. I was considering ordering another one except with the orange peel refelctor, if I like the original one enough.

12. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    covefrog08

Member:
    Vancouver Island- Canada
    Vehicle:
    devil horns, weather tech floor mats, Camo seat cover, window visors, premier deck w/ 6 speakers and sub, checker plate tool box, diff breather relocate, Mag light & Fire Extinguisher behind seat
    does the orange peel reflector do anything? or is it just the color of the outside shinny part? i was confused by all the choices when ordering..

13. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    Mudman

Mudman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cerritos
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport
    The orange peel smooths out the light beam. I saw a review of it on candlepowerforums. Don't remember the name of the title though, the guy had a really good review posted. kinda seemed like a soft light.

14. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    covefrog08

Member:
    Vancouver Island- Canada
    Vehicle:
    thanks mud man i looked up that forum, think im gona bookmark it. i'm in need of a small flashlight to replace the old double A maglight... (although it still works well) just looking for something better like always...

15. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    Mudman

Mudman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cerritos
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport
    lol np. Don't quote me on the orange peel specifically smoothing out the light though. Read the review to find out for sure. But from I could tell visually in the photos, the light did look softer. I'm by no means knowlegable about flashlights. :D

16. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    You're right, orange peel reflectors smooth out the beam generally, helping to remove artifacts etc. You sacrifice a little throw etc.

In the case of the Armytek, the orange peel reflector actually has a hotspot double the size. So it will really cost you in throw, but be more useful indoors and for general medium distance use.

So it comes down to, if you want to shine the max distance, use it outdoors a ton, etc, smooth reflector may be the way to go. (5 degree beam hotspot, 24 degree spill).

If it is for indoor work, mechanic work, etc etc, then the 10 degree hotspot 24 degree spill orange peel reflector would be the way to go I'd say.

As to why I'm doing this...I just saw a thread on candlepowerforums asking what is the best 18650 battery using flashlight. The Zebralight SC600 got quite a few mentions, and it seemed ok. This light got a pile of mentions as well. Those two lights infact got pretty much all the mentions.

Anyways I looked it up and they have their own subforum on Candlepowerforums. I saw the guy who runs the place responding directly to customers and taking their design ideas and actually saying he is going to incorporate these ideas into lights. Also helping with issues and taking more ideas for the updated model of this light (Predator).

Also when looking up the light I loved the programmability etc so you can design your own user interface. It didn't matter to me that it was complicated since you can just put all the modes you'd need in your custom interface, then you won't need to refer to any manual to use the thing while away from home since every mode you need is there!

Anyways I thought it was really neat, the build quality in reviews and other reviewed points were very positive.

Since people do these pass-arounds on candlepowerforums, I contacted the company about supplying some free lights for doing one on my favourite forum, Tacomaworld. I know a lot of guys here are professionals, gadget nuts, hunters, campers, etc.

They said they would supply two lights and probably give me a free one for getting them the exposure (since they are a fairly new company). All the better!

I don't work for Armytek, I'm not getting paid for this (other than maybe a free light..we'll see when the package arrives!). I just thought you guys would be interested. And it seems you are!

17. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    rcbs204

Member:
    Gadget nut here! Guilty as charged!

18. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    ^^ DITTO

19. Aug 23, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    Mudman

Mudman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cerritos
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport
    Just got mines in today (surprised). The design seems very well thought out and the build quality feels very nice. Sadly my batteries didn't come in yet, so I'm stuck with a paperweight for now.

The package actually came from China, so I'm lead to believe that parts are from Japan and USA then assembled in China.

Everything came in my box, i.e. grease, o rings, rubber button, case, and lanyard. A few people on other forums mentioned that customs removed the grease upon releasing it for delivery. Glad to see mines was unharmed. Although that may also have to do with the posted item value as to not catch customs attention.

I'm waiting on the batteries to do a comparison between my Streamlight Strion and the Predator. :D

20. Aug 23, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    You make it sound like it comes disassembled - is that the case?

Fink

Products Discussed in

To Top