1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARRGH! Visit to Toyota!

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by sikor7, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Jul 19, 2017 at 5:49 PM
    sikor7

sikor7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB 4x4
    Tacoma 2016. Second time to Dealer, this time 10K service, and second time request to turn off that stupid driver door chime that doesn't mean a thing except that you left ACC on. No other doors give any warning in that condition. Dealer told me he cannot override a safety feature. I showed him that it CAN be overridden, but by dealer only. (In the manual pg. 595.). He agreed this time but when I picked it up, guess what, still activated!
    Even more annoying, I am losing fillings and feels like I am tearing up the driveline with the 30-10 vibration addressed in TSB 0171-16. I have a TRD OR 4x4 OR, SB, and they tell me it is NOT addressed in the TSB. My VIN falls within the TSB at CZ5AN and below and they still say it is not available for a fix.
    Do you guys have an option? I am really getting fed up!

2. Jul 19, 2017 at 5:55 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Yeah. Go to a different dealer. If that is not an option, try talking to management. I've never heard of a dealer problem being fixed by posting to a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Joe23, HutchJ, Fyreguy11 and 7 others like this.
  3. Jul 20, 2017 at 7:25 AM
    sikor7

sikor7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB 4x4
    OK, OK... Just venting and wondering if others had the same problem - that the dealer denies my VIN does not qualify for a fix when clearly it does!
    I understand it will not get "fixed by posting to a bunch of strangers on the internet." Just frustrated and needed to vent with a hope that someone may have had a similar experience with a positive outcome. I am told that my driveline angle is within spec, yet I am still driving on a washboard. I know I can see a manager or call Corporate, just seeing if others had the same experience.
    I'll pass on the '74 Ford, thank you.

DesertTaco4x4 and CusterFan like this.
  4. Jul 20, 2017 at 7:29 AM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
    Welcome to Turd gen problems and frustrations.

5. Jul 20, 2017 at 7:55 AM
    Lt. Dangle

Lt. Dangle RIP @stun gun 2016-2020

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    Vent to corporate themselves.

speedtre and harrycary like this.
  6. Jul 20, 2017 at 8:32 AM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Has nothing to do with vehicle and everything to do with select dealers. Also, apparently it seems only a few of you got "turd gens" and the rest of us got "third gens." Could explain why you have so many issues.

7. Jul 20, 2017 at 8:32 AM
    SeanDub

SeanDub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    Icon Stage 4
    First off, all of these posts asking about other people's experience are useless. Every dealer is owned, either privately or by one of the many corporations and beyond that are run entirely from the inside. Their own policies. So unless you are posting locally and asking about a specific dealer, you are comparing apples to oranges.

Beyond that, the information on how to disable things is likely not readily available. It is very likely more difficult in actuality than it is in your head and you are probably the only person who is asking about it at that dealer.

When I was still working in a dealer, the worst customers, outside of the outright assholes, were the ones that came in armed with some information about how we should be fixing their car. "I was reading the forums..." is the fastest way to shut down the person you are seeking help from.

In your case, you have it in the manual, so you should have requested that they correct it upon pick-up when you realized it was still active. The tech probably didn't know how to do it, and is likely flat rate and deemed it not worth his time to make a call to figure it out.

As for recalls, we have to enter the VIN into a database, which then says whether it is affected or not. The end. If you have an issue beyond that, you have to go to Toyota Corp.

There is always the possibility that your dealer just fuckin sucks, but these types of complaints span all dealers, good and otherwise.

8. Jul 20, 2017 at 8:50 AM
    Mully

Mully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CA
    Vehicle:
    12 DC 4x4 Lifted Sport
    Lifted, Kings, Locked, 295s and more.
    I don't have any issues with my rig. It's a 2nd Gen and is flawless. Was just clowning around with my answer.

outlawtacoma and tomwil like this.
  9. Jul 20, 2017 at 8:59 AM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    I have a third gen and it's flawless, just like a majority of them are. Your point?

10. Jul 20, 2017 at 9:00 AM
    Kamille.bidan

Kamille.bidan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue TRD OR MT

Based what I read here, seems like a nightmare to work at a dealer and encounter all these outright asshole customers armed with "forum knowledge". I'm sure one guy armed with a mouse and keyboard is infinitely more knowledgeable that a tech with 25 years experience under the hood and routine training.

And then these guys grab TSBs from online and flash it in peoples faces.

It's probably worse than the hypocondriacs who consult with Dr. Google.

I wish someone would come at me at my job with the equivalent of asking to remove a safety feature. I would tell em to f-off.

Bishop84, Cxavier2206 and Toyko Joe like this.
  11. Jul 20, 2017 at 9:02 AM
    SeanDub

SeanDub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    Icon Stage 4
    It's funny you say that!

I went to the doctor after experiencing pain for an extended period of time and he said, "What do you think it is?"

"Listen man, people come in telling me what is wrong with their car all the time and they sound like complete idiots, I'd prefer to just tell you what hurts and see where that get's us."

12. Jul 20, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    Mully

Mully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CA
    Vehicle:
    12 DC 4x4 Lifted Sport
    Wish I had one also, but I think I will wait a few years till Toyota gets all of the bugs worked out of the 3rd gens and a diesel option is available. Glad your truck is not a POS.

13. Jul 20, 2017 at 9:05 AM
    Orlandoech

Orlandoech Orlandoech

Member:
    First Name:
    Orlando
    Taylorsville, UT
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro - AG
    1/2" HeadStrong Leveling Kit 1.25" Bora Spacers Wildpeaks 265-75-16s on stock Pro wheels
    Then there will be issues when that is introduce. "Bugs" are inevitable, period. You thinking otherwise is absurd.

14. Jul 20, 2017 at 9:09 AM
    Mully

Mully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CA
    Vehicle:
    12 DC 4x4 Lifted Sport
    Not absurd, that's your opinion and I have mine. I truly hope your truck is a great truck. I on the other hand would not buy one of the new trucks.

15. Jul 20, 2017 at 9:11 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCLB, TRD Sport, Barcelona Red
    Mostly miscellaneous electronic mods.... -2 spare Electrical fuse blocks hard wired to the battery with a key on relay. -Hard Wired Radar detector over rearview mirror. -2 Dual Whelen Avenger blue LED emergency lights, one on each side of the rearview mirror. -EP911 Blue LED Light Bar & Traffic Advisor, Rear Windows. -4 corner amber strobes in stock lights. -Hardwired RF Scanner with external speaker under center console. -Huskyliner front splash guards -Fireband 2 way radio in center console. -Herculiner painted on hitch and skid plate. -Switch to power one 12v socket when truck is off. -AntiDark LED strip under hood with switch. -Timbren Rubber Springs - Rear -MBRP Offroad Cat-Back with Resonator -Duratrac's -Provisor -Color matched hood bug shield
    When i had a disagreement with what my dealer was going to fix (not going to fix) it was recommended to me that i try what i think he referred to as the "corporate customer experience line" you may need to do a little search around to find the right number, but basically the opened a case on my issue, they review it and send a notification to your local dealer and try to resolve the issue. It was my understanding that a dealer does not want to have to answer to this corporate system and upon receiving a notification from them they often step up and make things happen as they did in my case. they were sure to let me know "we will be taking care of this at our cost to keep you happy" in my case it was the rough ride TSB which later turned into the rear spring recall for my age 2nd gens

speedtre, Governor and scottalot like this.
  16. Jul 20, 2017 at 9:12 AM
    Nail

Nail Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR

There will never be a diesel option.

rdjr17, hiPSI and SeanDub like this.
  17. Jul 20, 2017 at 9:23 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    @santas212 Do it yourself. The how to is right here. No dealer or fancy tools needed. Link covers 2nd and 3rd gen both. I do recommend using my method (unplug) over the method that was used in the 3rd gen (disassemble switch). Easily reversible should one have a hankering.

As far as shaking, TSBs, etc., trying another dealer is viable. Nothing says you have to do anything where you bought it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  18. Jul 20, 2017 at 10:03 AM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Let me give you an example of "real world" versus what you read here. I was at my dealer yesterday to get my 5K service. I had asked the regional rep previously about the rear diff issue, the 228K recall and how many would actually have the issues. He told me Toyota was expecting around 1-2% of the vehicles would actually have a weep or leak.
    Well, as I was talking to the service manager I asked him pointedly "How many Tacomas have you had to fix because of the rear diff recall?" He picked up the phone, called the head service advisor and found out. "Six." "We have checked hundreds and found six needed parts." He also found out they had around 46 parts kits available, so nobody had to be in a rental. Just came in for a service, the mechanic checked the rear diff for issues, if it had them they fixed it and sent the customer on their way! I then asked how many Tacomas they typically sell in a month. He called the sales manager and found out on average between 40-50 a month. So, around 500 a year. Let's say they have sold 1000 of the 3rd gen Tacomas since they were introduced. So far SIX have had issues. TEN would be one percent. They still haven't checked them all and I'm sure there will be more, but, at least at this dealership, what the regional rep told me a month ago is proving to be correct.

Why am I telling you this? Because Toyota sells about FIFTEEN THOUSAND TACOMAS a month. One percent of that would be one hundred and fifty.... a month. That's a lot! But if you depend on your information coming from this forum, you would swear that every other Tacoma sold has this diff leak issue. It's simply not true! 99% of the owners DO NOT HAVE ISSUES! They have no problems with the power or shifting! They have no diff howl or kazoo wind noise or anything else!

What happens is people like @smitty99 or @tacoflavoredkisses1 come here, post hundreds of times about their issues, even in threads that have no bearing on that topic and pretty soon, their "voice" becomes the norm. While people like me, people with no issues, don't post much about having zero issues and truly enjoying their truck.

Those few with issues, and I'm sure they are real issues, skew the message because they are so vocal! Smitty talking about the "turd gen" is another example. It is a derogatory term aimed at debasing this generation of Tacoma.

Even this thread is a joke. This guy came here looking for solace and agreement because "his dealer" wouldn't kowtow to his desires. He admitted he just needed to vent but seriously, if you understand anything about the automotive industry you should understand that every single dealer is different. Some are good, some are bad, just like any other business. Back to the diff leak issue... in that thread it says some of them have 80 people waiting in front of them. I don't doubt that but is that the norm? Obviously not as stated by example above. Was it Toyota's fault or the dealer's fault for not ordering on a timely basis? Who knows.

Lastly, here in this forum you only hear one side of the story. The customers side. Yet we judge (wrongly) after only hearing one side. How would that work in a court of law? Seriously, do you honestly believe that all these people who post here post the unvarnished truth? Um, no. Human nature dictates we couch the story towards making ourselves look good.
    What I think would be hilarious is if there were a dealer forum where they could go and talk about the stupid things their customers did or the silly things their customers expect from them. THEN we could hear both sides of the story.

If you want a third gen, chances are good (95+%) that you will never have an issue. If I were you, I would do something that obviously half the people that post here do not do: Test drive test drive test drive. Good luck.

19. Jul 20, 2017 at 10:13 AM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    I don't see what's wrong coming in here and asking about dealer experiences.

You post something like this. People give their experiences, some good and some bad. You see there are dealers that give better service and you try a different one.

You are saying don't come in and ask about dealers. Just stick with the one you have and don't ask questions?

Also researching the internet before going to the dealer is extremely wise. I can see why a dealer wouldn't want you. Of course they want the dumbest customers to come in. They can do the least amount of work possible.

If I wouldn't have researched and read here before my first service I would never have gotten the transmission update. They had no idea it was a thing.

NM Lance likes this.
  20. Jul 20, 2017 at 10:19 AM
    Mully

Mully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CA
    Vehicle:
    12 DC 4x4 Lifted Sport
    Wow, you took this way to far. But thank you for all of this great info and I am glad the 3rd gen is not a POS. I just paid off my Truck off yesterday and plan on keeping it till it dies. It was the 1st new car I bought in over 20 years. Glad I have it, but I am a used car buyer. Good luck with your truck. Take care my friend.

hiPSI[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top