1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Asheville, NC OHV parks and local groups?

Discussion in 'South East' started by HVACmedic, May 2, 2022.

1. May 2, 2022 at 8:51 AM
    HVACmedic

HVACmedic [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    Vehicle:
    2016 BlazingBluePearl Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6sp V6 4x4
    K&N Chrome Tube Air Intake, Pedal Commander, LFG Sliders, OME 3 inch Suspension, PowerBrake Big Red Brake Kit, TRD Pro Shifter Knob, CamLocker Crossover Box, Cali-Riased Premium Roof Rack, 360° LED lighting, Cali-Raised side Projecting LED Ditch Pods, CaliRaised 43" DualFunction Light Bar, Method Beadgrip 17" Wheels, Falcon Wildpeak 33 MT, Hi-Lift Extreme Jack, President Bill CB Radio and Antenna and External Speaker, Alien Gear Pistol Holster (SigP365xl), Axe Mount, Shovel Mount, Fire Ex Mount, Kicker 12" Powered Sub, Garmin Overlander Navigarion System w/InReach Mini2, Go-Pro forward Facing Adventure Cam, TRD Pro Exhaust Tip, LED SuperBright Amber Signals, SMOKE LED Sequential TailLights, LED sequential Mirror signals, LED Headlamps, LED Fig Lamps, LED interior lamps
    Hello E1 my name is Norm. I drive a 2016 TRd OR. Looking to meet others in my area that gather for events like trail rides and off-road and overlanding adventures etc. I'm on the Asheville area of North Carolina. This is my first Taco, I've been driving her since 2019. In the last year I've been doing lots of wheeling. Have been on a few rides at Windrock OHV park in Oliver Springs TN. Have rode at Patriot Mountain OHV near Boone NC. Recently went to Uwharrie National Forest for the first time where's there is plenty for all skill levels. Can anyone recommend anywhere else in my area to check out or groups/shows to join up with or goto?

2. May 2, 2022 at 9:02 AM
    aturk

aturk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Charlotte, NC
    There are some FB groups that are active.

NC Yota's
    Carolina Tacomas
    NC Overland

Next event will be May 21st, Rigs N Coffee, Location is the Cup N Spoon in Morganton. Time is 9am to 6pm, with a Table Rock ride going on afterwards.

May or May not go, my truck is mostly done, but waiting on new tires and a re-gear before I play. Maybe I'll ride up for the show part of it.

HVACmedic[OP] likes this.
  3. May 2, 2022 at 11:54 AM
    NachoTaco16

NachoTaco16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2021 black DC LB TRD off road
    have some sick ditch lights to look cool
    plenty of people do Hurricane creek and then up to Max Patch. I did hurricane creek the week before last just didn't head north to Max Patch. I think I also read there is one trail in Pisgah National forest that allow vehicles other than dirt bikes and other OHV.

HVACmedic[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. May 2, 2022 at 3:00 PM
    HVACmedic

HVACmedic [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    Vehicle:
    K&N Chrome Tube Air Intake, Pedal Commander, LFG Sliders, OME 3 inch Suspension, PowerBrake Big Red Brake Kit, TRD Pro Shifter Knob, CamLocker Crossover Box, Cali-Riased Premium Roof Rack, 360° LED lighting, Cali-Raised side Projecting LED Ditch Pods, CaliRaised 43" DualFunction Light Bar, Method Beadgrip 17" Wheels, Falcon Wildpeak 33 MT, Hi-Lift Extreme Jack, President Bill CB Radio and Antenna and External Speaker, Alien Gear Pistol Holster (SigP365xl), Axe Mount, Shovel Mount, Fire Ex Mount, Kicker 12" Powered Sub, Garmin Overlander Navigarion System w/InReach Mini2, Go-Pro forward Facing Adventure Cam, TRD Pro Exhaust Tip, LED SuperBright Amber Signals, SMOKE LED Sequential TailLights, LED sequential Mirror signals, LED Headlamps, LED Fig Lamps, LED interior lamps
    Sounds good man! Thanks for the help. Very much appreciated! Maybe we'll see yah up in Morganton at the show.

5. May 2, 2022 at 3:02 PM
    HVACmedic

HVACmedic [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info! I want to try Hurricane creek but keep forgetting about it. I'm not done building yet so still trying to run with others as often as possible.. next on my list is ARB summit bumper and Warn Winch. Once those ate installed I'll be more confident in riding alone. I do however have a fully stocked arsenal of other recovery gear!.

6. May 18, 2022 at 6:02 PM
    AJ4mPR

AJ4mPR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD OffRoad DCLB Quicksand
    is Hurricane creek still closed for non NC residents? i had read that around 2020 it was,, i was planning on visiting my best friend that moved last year to Ashville and we wanted to do some trail riding.

7. May 19, 2022 at 4:50 AM
    NachoTaco16

NachoTaco16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2021 black DC LB TRD off road
    have some sick ditch lights to look cool
    don't know how they would stop you. it's not like you pay to get on it and nobody there to monitor it.

Auzea, AJ4mPR[QUOTED] and ToyoTaco25 like this.
  8. May 19, 2022 at 5:32 AM
    ToyoTaco25

ToyoTaco25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 Super-White DCSB 6-Speed
    ProComp 4" D-Bag, I mean Drop Bracket Lift, AMP Research Powersteps, 285/70-R17’s, Magnaflow, AFE CAI, Dipped Badges
    I think you are talking about Brown Mountain OHV, it's in Pisgah National Forest. Unless it's changed since I've been there, it's mostly dirtbike trails & not worth taking much anything else there IMO. I think only 1 trail for vehicles and maybe 2? trails available for Side by Sides & man it is tight!

I wouldn't really recommend going there to wheel your Taco. There's the 1 main "trail" that goes up the mountain but it's just a dirt road & you have to deal with people hauling ass up & down the trail, throwing rocks at you and such. There's 1 maybe 2 pull-off areas you can play in some mud holes but that's about it.

However, you can drive about 1.5 miles past Brown Mountain OHV & turn left to continue on Brown Mountain Beach Road & it quickly turns into a gravel road that follows Wilson Creek. After about 4.5miles on BMB road, it splits. Left onto Craig Creek road which then splits into 2 National Forestry roads that are nice scenic drives. Right continues on BMB road which is also a nice scenic drive & continues to follow Wilson Creek. Wilson Creek is great for trout fishing & is hatchery supported. Or just to picnic & relax by the water. Just search for Brown Mountain Beach Resort & that should get you there.

AJ4mPR likes this.
  9. May 31, 2022 at 9:52 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    ^^^ I had Google maps take me on that road on a trip to Harlan, it was pretty cool. Not hard at all and doable in a Camry, but cool views and switchbacks.

Honestly if you are in Asheville, just head over to windrock it's not that far away and plenty of trails to get into there from easy to as crazy as you want.

ToyoTaco25 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top