1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ask a "Seasoned" Veteran

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mark C., Nov 13, 2010.

1. Nov 15, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,

That's it, that's what it's called! Thanks! Its been a Monday for sure :eek:

2. Nov 15, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
  3. Nov 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    If it's classified then you are not allowed to talk about it.

4. Nov 15, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. [OP] If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    And to amplify what Impulsered said, I'd like to add ...

:gossip: None of this unless the person has the need to know to do thier job.

5. Nov 15, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts
    ^^^ LMFAO.. Question, have any of you gone to the VA for PTSD program ?

6. Nov 16, 2010 at 3:34 AM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    When I retired, I registered with the VA, but have done nothing further with them. Good insurance where I work...and for me....the VA hospital and services are for those unfortunate ones with serious wounds and problems received in combat or related activities.

I guess the answer to your question is ....no I haven't. Sorry I couldn't help, but I am sure someone on here will pipe up with their experiences.

7. Nov 16, 2010 at 3:43 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    I've used the VA to have some fragments removed and have been seen for post concussion syndrome (too many hits from working dogs and such) the service I've recieved there has been phenomenal. I've been told that I have PTSD like symptoms but not PTSD. THey are really trying to reach out and help those with issues and as far as I can tell, will bend over backwards to get someone the help they need.

8. Nov 16, 2010 at 3:48 AM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC

That's good to hear. I guess part of the reason I steered away from them was that 2 of my older brothers (Viet Nam Vets) got little or no treatment, but that was before we had on the spot media coverage and the investigative reporting that holds some government agencies' feet to the fire. I am really glad that they are providing the services that you guys need! It is one of the most important things the federal government can do! You, and others deserve the services!

Thanks for your service!

9. Nov 16, 2010 at 3:52 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    Thanks mark, you led the way first though!

10. Nov 16, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    crazyman

crazyman Not bothered....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Crystal Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DC/SB TRD/OR V6 Auto, Magnetic Gray
    Does Plasti-Dip count as a mod ?
    Being a disabled vet, I can attest to the VA's treatment of service folk.
    I had heard all sorts of horror stories about the VA from older vets. True as they might have been, my experience with the VA from up north down to Florida has been nothing short of terrific. Very professional, very competent. The last time I went in for treatment I got more than thought I would. No waits, no piles of paperwork. Just called them, set an appointment, and got in and out.
    My mom, also a vet, recently got similar great treatment.
    Things have definitely changed at the VA.

11. Nov 16, 2010 at 5:14 AM
    05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts
    I guess the reason i asked is becouse i just finished a 23 week program and there wasnt to many older vets there, kinda felt like "grandpa" :laugh:, but im so glad i did it

12. Nov 16, 2010 at 5:19 AM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    As long as it helped. THAT is what matters! Good for you!

13. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Not really New, not really Mexico
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    Andres Devil Horns, Goodyear Duratracs, Accidental Tailgate Delete (x2), Billy 5100s, OME 881 coils, Wheeler's 5-leafs, BAMF Sliders with kickouts, Box Rocket Fab Bedrack.
    It is funny, though, when some info you have been privileged to is easily accessible to anyone who can use the internet.

"Can item A really do this?"
    "I can't really say..."
    "Wikipedia says it can"
    "Hmmph..."

14. Nov 16, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Nice to read the positive remarks about the VA.

They would do nothing for the returning vets that were exposed to Agent Orange. The gift from the government that keeps on giving generation after generation.

15. Nov 16, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    After a long fight with the VA....(and the loss of his life), one of my brothers was able to get the VA to acknowlege that the 3 types of cancer he had was caused by Agent Orange. He died at the ripe old age of 42, but was able to pass survivor benefits on to his children and wife.

16. Nov 16, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    My Dad died from cancer. He always told us stories about Vietnam and Agent Orange. His orders only showed being in Thailand so we couldn't prove Vietnam, hence no Agent Orange compensation.

I wisk we could have for my Mom's benefit. Oh well.

17. Nov 16, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    crazyman

crazyman Not bothered....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Crystal Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DC/SB TRD/OR V6 Auto, Magnetic Gray
    Does Plasti-Dip count as a mod ?
    As far as I know, the VA really underwent some major changes in the '80s. Especially due to the fact they had been treating so many Viet Nam vets so poorly.

18. Nov 16, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    It's a good thing the VA has improved because the medical privileges and benefits for retirees is virtually non-existant!

19. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

I got banged up in the military and have been in the VA system since 1969 and the VA has changed a lot (mostly for the better) since then. During some of those periods, if I would not have had private medical insurance, I would have probably died.

The VA will soon realize that the costs to take care of the injuries are too expensive and will cut back again.

It is interesting ... politicians want to go to war ... but politicians do not want to pay the "residual costs" (men & equipment) of going to war.

I already see a lot of PTSD cases being called GAD (General Anxiety Disorder).

It it much easier to get a small disability now (throw you a bone), but harder to get higher disability ratings and the rules will change and make it even harder.

When these wars are over and all the troops come home ... you will really find out who is a political friend to veterans.

20. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    ptaco88

ptaco88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Stock
    Nbies thats what i call em cause i'll be at FT. Stewart in 15 days !!!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top