1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ask a "Seasoned" Veteran

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mark C., Nov 13, 2010.

1. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    ptaco88

ptaco88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Stock
    Newbies*

2. Nov 18, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    Cb2589

Cb2589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    Wheelers Offroad black steel wheels, 12 disc changer, spray in bedliner, Black UWS toolbox, Kelly Safari TSR's, Dynomax Super Turbo
    Well I reasearched this forum and I didn't really find what I was looking for, but as a 17yr old considering joining the Marines...

What are the pros/cons?

What was it like from basic - present?

Are you glad you did it? Is there anything you regretted about it? etc. etc.

Anything from you guys would help, I know there are alot of vets on here! BTW, I appreciate everyones service and Happy Belated Veteran's Day!

3. Nov 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I can't talk many details about the Marines, only that I respect the hell out of them.

As far as the military goes there are good time and bad times, just like any other career. The big difference iis you're putting your lfe on the line for your country (as do cops, firemen, etc.).

Basic is hard, for a reason. If you can tough out Basic you can handle actiive duty. I did 24 years USAF (start the Chaiirforce jokes lol) and worked with all branches and several other nationaliities. I had experiences you cannot get anywhere else, and loved it. The best times I had were when I was embedded with an Army unit in Iraq and in a NATO unit in the Balkans.

Good luck with your decision!

4. Nov 30, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. [OP] If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
  5. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hmm, cuz he's the Commander in Chief and he receives salutes, not gives them? He still outranks the kid.

6. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    Frankie_G

Frankie_G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    West Seattle, Wa
    MOH out ranks everybody!

7. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    "Although not required by law or military regulation, members of the uniformed services are encouraged to render salutes to recipients of the Medal of Honor as a matter of respect and courtesy regardless of rank or status"

8. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    He may outrank him, but all.....ALL CMH wearers are to be saluted by all. It is the sign of recognizing the valor and honor the award carries.

9. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Mark, Wrong. That's your opinion and here's the truth of it:

Congressional Medal of Honor Society National Headquarters

MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS
    General Protocol and Information
    SALUTE:
    There is no law or military regulation that sets forth a requirement for military personnel of any rank to salute a Medal of Honor recipient. It is presumed that this assumption arises from an old custom in the Army when the Medal of Honor ceremonies included a regimental or brigade parade. The recipient stood beside the officer receiving the “pass in review” and, with that officer, returned the salutes of the company or unit commanders as they passed. However, it is permissible to salute a recipient as a display of respect or honor – whether he is civilian or retired military – when he is physically wearing the medal.
    NOTE: If the recipient is still on active duty and is a commissioned officer, those of a lower rank will salute him as per military regulations.
    ---------
    Anyone saying the President must salute him, that's an opinion. In mine, the President saluting an active duty service person shows deferrence to that person. No President should do that.

10. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    It outranks all other medals, that's all.

11. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Ok... MOH aside, being as how Obama is the Commander in Chief and you are supposed to salute him anyway, he (Oboma) should RETURN the salute.

12. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    Frankie_G

Frankie_G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    West Seattle, Wa
    Even if it is the highest of all medals, which it is, there's so many courtesies that we do that are not written down somewhere. So the man could of saluted. anyways i'm done i posted something on the original thread

13. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I didn't read the whole article. Did the kid salute him and Obama not salute back? If so, that's wrong.

14. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    The kid saluted and Obama HUGGED him back

15. Nov 30, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    Thank you for correcting me on that. I am a customs and traditions type person, so I went with what I was taught. In past ceremonies, the CINC saluted the recipient as a sign of respect. They were not required to, but chose to honor the individual with the salute.
    I will take this no further. Thank you.

16. Nov 30, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    I have a question for the Seasoned Vet's, Can you tell me what the Meritorious Service Metal was given for? I have read things about it online but why was it given out??

17. Nov 30, 2010 at 3:15 PM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Ok, he should have returned the salute first. In that case, dumba$$ :)

18. Nov 30, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    Usually for a tour or assignment where the individual's contributions or service was deemed worthy of meritorious recognition. Sometimes it was awarded (in the Navy) to those senior enlisted or officer personnel who were retiring, and there service over the years was considered "meritorious". I can't speak for the other services........

19. Nov 30, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Mark:
    I was taught the same. When you see a soldier wearing a blue battle ribbon with stars you really do snap to attention. No other ribbon looks like a CMH ribbon.

The only sight that comes close is when Marine Corp are at a home Redskins game and display the Marine Corp flag with battle ribbons. It is truly a great sight.

If you are going to be in DC this summer and looking for something to do you should go the Marine barracks at 8th and I on a Friday night for the silent drill. You will not be disappointed.

And this is from an Army guy.
    http://www.mbw.usmc.mil/parades.asp

20. Nov 30, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    Thanks for the tip! I've always admired the Marine's small arms and close order drill prowess! I was at Anacosta for a 2 week school in the mid-90s and, had I known about that, I would certainly have attended. Thanks very much for the information and the link.

Products Discussed in

To Top