1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ask an Alaskan...

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by TAKoma907, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:04 AM
    WingNut55

WingNut55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC TRD Off-Road T|X Pro
    I'm headed to Elmendorf next January, looking to buy a house there and leaning towards the Palmer/Wasilla area despite the commute. Anchorage and Eagle River are too expensive and crowded. I wish I was already up there since I have seen some really good properties for sale right now.

I'm going to drive through Canada from Michigan next January, should I have a block heater for that trip?

BTW what is the Nenana Ice Classic?

2. Mar 27, 2011 at 9:07 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    I'd consider the block heater for that trip. One or two cold soaks overnight won't kill you, but successive cold soaks without any thorough thaws (in garage) might lead to problems IMHO. I'm thinking of putting one in my truck in case we get a wild hair and decide to take a road trip up north (Fairbanks area) in the winter.

Nenana Ice Classic is basically the closest thing we have to a Lottery; the basic idea is to pick the date/time the tripod will fall signaling the break up of the ice on the Tanana River adjacent to Nenana, AK. Read all about it here: http://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com/

3. Mar 27, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    Are you saying you're not aliens?

4. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    navysealboy93

navysealboy93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Vehicle:
    Isuzu Trooper
    ARB front bumper, wagon wheels, 235/85 wranger's, OME 1.5 in. lift and Dakar springs.
    Is there any good Army bases in AK? I heard there's an airborne group in AK but I can't remember what the base name was.

I'm asking because I'm joining the Army very soon and want to go Airborne and living in Alaska sounds sick.

5. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    Got one for you! My wife really wants to go to Alaksa on vacation. Best time of year to go and where is the best place to go to see the beauty and do other interesting things? Thanks in advance!

6. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    For Kodiak, I would say between end of July and mid September. It all depends on the things you wanna do..you can get cruise ship tours that go to a lot of the coastal area's of Alaska. Or of you just wanna come and go fishing, bear sight seeing etc, I'd say come here to Kodiak, get a charter boat, go fishing, then get a aerial bear tour on a float plane. Thats just for Kodiak, others on the mainland may have better ideas for you!

7. Mar 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    its a hit or miss, south central (anchorage area) is mostly rainy during summer months, last summer was crappy for sunny days. although the best time to visit is obviously in the summer so always bring warm clothing and light rain attire. as far as places to go, start off by getting into anchorage, you can take train or bus to denali national park > lots of stuff to see. fishing trips are common for tourist as you get a sight seeing tour and doing something you like at the same time (thats if you fish) most places can ship your catch home for a additional cost. You can catch a boat tour for whale, sea lions, glaciers etc..... You can rent a vehicle and drive down to south central the kenai river in soldotna and Kenai are great places to fish and the other rivers and creeks, Homer is great place to visit also. i suggest you carefully plan for what ever it is you want to do. you can take a alaska cruise and come up along the inside passage ( breath taking views and plenty of sea life, not to mention seeing some of alaska historic towns like ketchikan, juneau, skagway, sitka and come up to seward then take a trip to denai. lots of stuff to do.

8. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    I am making the drive out of Anchorage in two days. I got orders to NorCal. I would say to get a block heater. I used it regularly in the winter here. Helps out a lot for those cold starts. They are super easy to install and they do help.

9. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    Sixfeathers

Sixfeathers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab
    Led lights: Replaced Bulbs in front,Fog Light modification, Westin Nerf Bars, TS mod,
    Myh aunt Jeddy is a native of Anchorage .

10. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    lamericle

lamericle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    keagan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    '12 Offroad AC
    Yes. there are airborne units in Ft. Richardson. I'm headed to one in June.

11. Mar 27, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    navysealboy93

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Vehicle:
    Isuzu Trooper
    ARB front bumper, wagon wheels, 235/85 wranger's, OME 1.5 in. lift and Dakar springs.
    Awesome. What are the chances I'll be able to be stationed there after basic? I'm going to Benning on May 16th.

12. Mar 27, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    ....hmmmm...nope...not gonna answer this one.:rolleyes:

13. Mar 27, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    lamericle

Member:
    First Name:
    keagan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    '12 Offroad AC
    that would all depend on your MOS and what is in demand at the time. Rich has some units getting ready for deployment so they are filling in the ranks. Still there is little way of knowing. Most likely after BAS you will head to Bragg, Rich, possibly Campbell or even Germany.

14. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    navysealboy93

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Vehicle:
    Isuzu Trooper
    lol I'd be happy as a clam with any of the ones you listed there.

15. Mar 27, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    lamericle

Member:
    First Name:
    keagan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    '12 Offroad AC
    I'm at Bragg right now and have been for 3 years. It's not too bad but i'm definately sick of Fayette'nam

16. Mar 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    are Alaskans aware she never said she can see Russia from her house? (it was an SNL skit)

17. Mar 27, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    General Alaskan feelings towards chris mccandless?

18. Mar 27, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    ^^very true. some of the scary and bizarre questions that I had to answer (with a straight face) for tourists...

Where is sea level? They apparently thought that since AK is further north sea level was no longer "0"... :crazy:

When does the performance start? Overheard someone ask that on a whale watching cruise. Its not f'in SeaWorld!!!

Where are all of the penguins? Antarctica, where they belong.

Who do I call to schedule a tour of the (north slope) oil fields? Not happening man. Unless you're an employee you're not getting anywhere close. I think he didn't believe me and drove to Deadhorse anyways.

19. Mar 27, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    mentose457

mentose457 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I heard is so cold up there that when you pee it freezes before hitting the ground. Is this true?

20. Mar 27, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I'm sure it does get that cold in some spots but not here where I am. Alaska isn't quite what people think. It gets colder in the winter in Colorado then it does on Kodiak Island (mainland Alaska is a different story). The southern regions of AK are along the lines of rain forest climate.

During the winter not all of AK is dark...lol!! Someone actually mentioned the movie 30 Days of Night when I was moving here and I couldn't tell if they were genuinely concerned about that!

Products Discussed in

To Top