1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ask the Apple Nerd!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by BBiggs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Matic

Matic Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Greenville,sc
    Vehicle:
    2002 TRD prerunner,SR5, doublecab
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. OME aal with OME nitrochargers out back. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate.
    I have OSx Lion on a thumb drive fs. 10.7
    I know its old but its good. Also a 1st gen mac for parts. The all in one deal from "2007?

2. stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    I think it would depend on how you've got Time Machine set up, the type of backups you've done, the space on your backup drive, and what's selected when restoring. As I understand it, Time Machine is set up by default to do incremental backups of your very latest changes and will restore to that. You should be able to also restore to some older point (in case the latest is screwed up), but to what extent depends on the space on your backup drive (can only hold so many older increments).

Of course, you could have overridden that and also made an entirely separate backup of the original computer - which would have the original OS, settings, and so on. Impossible for me (or anyone else here) to know whether you did that.

3. quantum

quantum Well-Known Member

Member:
    i just manually back-up with TM and it only takes up about a 10th of the external HD. as far as overriding anything i haven't done that (and frankly, don't know how to)

4. RMAN808

RMAN808 S)(AKALO)(AWAII

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Pearl City, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '99 PreRunner
    OME 883' w/5100s, Toytec AAL, 265/75R16 Treadwright Guard Dog's, 16x8.5" Level 8 Strike 6 wheels, 14" Magnaflow, 4" Deck Plate Mod w/Screen, Grillcraft, etc. Check build thread in sig for more info...
    Almost 4.5 years of owning my MacBook this happens today. It comes and goes, but sometimes stays for a bit. :mad:

Is this a typical occurrence due to it's age?

[​IMG]

5. Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Chrome don't get you home
    I'm using my IPad and my IPhone and both have photos on them that I need off and saved and I use a PC and not a Mac at this time. I do hate PC but that's another story

6. imDARRIN

imDARRIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Huntington/Sunset Beach
    Vehicle:
    '13 PreRunner SR5
    Cool thread OP. I have a question regarding the messaging on my MBP. One day it just decided it was not going to be synced with my iPhone5 so I don't receive the messages on both devices like before. How do i revert that?

7. 97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    PC or Mac just a tool, the person that uses it make all the calls.

8. 95SLE

95SLE Getting Ready for Summer

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Anyone here have a cracked screen replace on an iPad? Does AQpple just replace the screen or do I need to worry about Data Back Up problems. Please assume that I will be backing up the data.

When doing a data back up is all the data in the app games lost and the user needs to start all over again?

9. Enigmaaron

Enigmaaron All your soul are belong to us

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4x4 V6 XtraCab
    Icon coilovers and rear shocks, OME Dakar leafs, Elite front and rear bumpers, 255/85R16 BFGoodrich KM2's on Pro Comp 8069's w/4" BS, Demello sliders, Skid Row front and transfer case skids, BAMF diff skid, Magnaflow exhaust, Torza-Top tonneau
    This should help I think:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

If they are just replacing your screen I would think your data would be preserved. But I would make sure to have a fresh backup which it sounds like you are planning to do.

If for some reason your data is lost then restoring from backup should keep all data other than maybe some device settings (like wifi passwords, sound settings, etc.).

10. 95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    TY

I made an appointment with the local Apple store to have them look at the screen and assess what needs to be done.

11. nbitzer

nbitzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Westminster, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Just orders the 5100/AAL lift. 15x8 wheels and 33x12.50 tires...
    I wouldn't call it typical, but I wouldn't say it's unheard of. I am guessing you don't have apple care on the Macbook? If you do, take it to apple, get a new display. If not, try and re-install the display driver (google around and find a write up, as I am sure there is one.) If that doesn't fix it...then get a new macbook pro retina :p

12. 95 taco

95 taco Cornfed

Member:
    South Miss.
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bilsteins front and rear, front set to 1'' and rear are 9'' 5125's, OMD springs in the rear, CSJumper LED's inside, hard wired inverter.
    Is there a good free app to mess around with audio on? On my old laptop I could make it sound like the song was being played underwater, or in a sewer, ect...

13. RMAN808

RMAN808 S)(AKALO)(AWAII

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Pearl City, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '99 PreRunner
    OME 883' w/5100s, Toytec AAL, 265/75R16 Treadwright Guard Dog's, 16x8.5" Level 8 Strike 6 wheels, 14" Magnaflow, 4" Deck Plate Mod w/Screen, Grillcraft, etc. Check build thread in sig for more info...
    My applecare expired a long time ago :p I'll try looking up that display driver thingy. Thanks for the tip.

Hopefully I don't have to put money toward a new one for a while :eek:

14. DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    Use photo stream. I have it on my pc, and I can access my iPad / iPhone pics on my pc.

15. 95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Back rom the Apple store. The iPad was replaced at no charge. I am restoring the data now.

16. 97Blk_one

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    iTunes is the ultimate back up you ever needs. Both works with PC and Mac, so once a week plug your iDevices to iTunes to back it up.

17. 97Blk_one

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    You can do a search on AppStore, you'll find tons of Apps, some are free and some are not...

18. Enigmaaron

Enigmaaron All your soul are belong to us

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4x4 V6 XtraCab
    Icon coilovers and rear shocks, OME Dakar leafs, Elite front and rear bumpers, 255/85R16 BFGoodrich KM2's on Pro Comp 8069's w/4" BS, Demello sliders, Skid Row front and transfer case skids, BAMF diff skid, Magnaflow exhaust, Torza-Top tonneau
    Psshhh, wifi sync is where it's at. :cool:

19. 97Blk_one

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    TM back up only if you have any activities that done to your computer, let say you added a file, changed your preferences and so on. Yes. you can restore from your back up to your previous OS, But why do you want to do that,when the new OS more advance then the previous one. All you have to do is migrate your files to the new MacBook and that's it !

20. 95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    For some reason the Apps were not restored. On to Apple Support again.

I am in deep DOO DOO if I cannot restore the Apps.

To Top