1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EZView Mirrors from Trail Toys (Aspherical Blind Spot Mirrors)

Discussion in 'Trail Toys' started by SMKYTXN, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Apr 12, 2015 at 3:24 PM
    SMKYTXN

SMKYTXN [OP] If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441838416.339562.jpg

http://trailtoys.net/t/ezview-mirrors

You have three options when ordering, plain glass, heated glass, or just the heating elements. The heating elements will not be attached to the mirror when you receive them, but they're just a peel and stick installation. I will be uploading a video this week to show how to pop the stock glass out and put the new glass in it's place. It's not difficult, but there is some gentleness required.

Thank you for your support, and I hope you enjoy these new mirrors as much as I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1d-awmUr3Y

-Nathan

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441838416.339562.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441838423.611279.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441838431.032046.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441838438.348813.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441838447.056045.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441838454.459850.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441838464.281096.jpg

Original post below:

How many of you have heard of Aspherical mirrors? They're typically seen overseas, and are fantastic at eliminating blind spots. I had them on my old VW Golf as that car was available overseas.

The samples are in!

Here's a quick video to give you an idea of what these mirrors are all about.

https://youtu.be/fGyIWTCUtMg

Take a look below for an example of how you can permanently lose your blind spot. :D

[​IMG]

Stock mirror held in front of the new Aspherical to show you what you'd normally see glancing towards the mirror.

[​IMG]

And, now the Aspherical mirror. Now you don't have to look over your shoulder to see if there's a car hiding in your blind spot since you don't have one anymore. :D

[​IMG]

After getting the sample in I realized just how easy it is to swap out the glass. Pull on the bottom of the mirror to pop it and the backing plate out. Then push the backing plate away from the edge of the mirror and work your way around. The mirror will come out pretty easily. Reverse the steps with the new adhesive pad backed mirror and you're done.

There are two things that concern me with the sample. One, both sides have the "objects in mirror may appear closer" deal. I'm thinking I'll take that off of both of them. Thoughts?

Secondly, I assumed these would have the slit in the glass between the aspherical side and the flat side. Well, as you can see they don't. I'm going to have to drive with them for a couple of days to see if I like them like this. I'm excited for my drive in too work tomorrow to see how these perform.

Here's a very scientific explanation of the aspherical mirrors.

@Torspd

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    yellowdogpaddler and Crom like this.
  2. Apr 12, 2015 at 3:32 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    I have driven a car with them - I believe it was the new Honda Accord, and I hated them. I like adjusting my mirrors so there is no blind spot and having it at the end felt like a wasted inch and a half of true mirror. I prefer the convex corner deal like the Pro EFX towing mirrors. Just personal preference, but I chimed in because I have had experience with them.

Dopplerplus likes this.
  3. Apr 12, 2015 at 5:37 PM
    Krogen

Krogen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puget Sound
    Vehicle:
    14 AC V6 6sp 4x4 Off-Road
    I have these on my VW and they are great! Been searching high and low for some to put on my Tacoma. Count me in!

southernpanic likes this.
  4. Apr 12, 2015 at 5:47 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    I'd be willing to get in on a set depending on final pricing (glass only). I currently use the cheapo clip-on for my rearview in the cab and people just don't know the difference it makes! I can see my blind spots on both sides without having to turn my head. Super useful with our tiny rear window. (Of course I came from an F150 with a huge rear window.)

Diggin' your flatbed btw...

5. Apr 12, 2015 at 5:53 PM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    They do take some getting used too, that's for sure.

Just need to make sure there's a need for them.

Thanks! Glass only is going to be very reasonably priced. At least I think they're going to be reasonably priced.

So with that being said, what would you guys pay for them?

6. Apr 13, 2015 at 5:27 AM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    My wife's Honda CRV has them and I hate them. If it was my daily driver I would consider swapping out the glass to a standard mirror.

7. Apr 13, 2015 at 7:02 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I'm good with the $2 stick on from NAPA. Looks like a good product for those who like to spend $$ for a clean appearance, though.

8. Apr 13, 2015 at 7:33 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    make it as thin as possible and just use adhesive to stick to the original mirror

and you'd sell millions.

few want to take apart a mirror but many can just alcohol
    wipe the existing mirror and slap on a new one with press-stick adhesive

Mush Mouse likes this.
  9. Apr 14, 2015 at 7:22 AM
    WeberSarge

WeberSarge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ohio, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRD 4X4 Quad Cab , '77 FJ40
    Stock for now...
    That would be the ticket - I use those stick-on oval shaped mirrors for backing my trailer around tight corners but the bulge from them is irritating to my screwed up eyes - can't hardly focus on the detail needed to avoid things with the trailer , or get it where I want it .

Sarge

10. Apr 14, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    These are the full replacement glass mirrors. I don't know of anyone that makes a stick on aspherical, or if it's even possible.

11. Apr 14, 2015 at 12:02 PM
    Capt. Obvious

Capt. Obvious Fearless Keyboard Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrick
    Gig Harbor
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    6" body lift, LEDs errwhere, Jesus mural on the hood
    Aspherical mirrors definitely take a little getting used to, but they're awesome. I would definitely be interested in a set for my truck. I think my price threshold would be under $50.

12. Apr 14, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    :thumbsup:

13. Apr 14, 2015 at 1:32 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR

it's possible of course it is possible

the mirror glass is stuck to it's mount with adhesive,
    and then the mount snaps into the mirror assembly

so.........
    skip the mount,
    supply a mirror glass with a flat back
    and 3m sticky foam tape

press to existing mirror, done in one

Mush Mouse likes this.
  14. Apr 17, 2015 at 9:21 AM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    That's what I'm looking into now. It will be a full mirror glass with a large adhesive pad (as thin as possible) that will just stick to the existing glass.

It will also work if someone has broken their glass and needs a replacement.

They'll be supplied as a driver and passenger side, both aspherical. I'm guessing I can get below the $35 mark for the set.

Thoughts?

Benson X likes this.
  15. Apr 17, 2015 at 9:30 AM
    Lespaulkid01

Lespaulkid01 I prefer the term "beer researcher".

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Sport, Pyrite Mica
    tool chest, vent visors, tuffy bed box, scangauge, Bilstein 5100's, OME 885x springs, Wheeler's HD AAL, LED map, dome, and reverse lights, Bestop Supertop.
    I'd be interested in seeing the final product.. I was thnking the other day I might pick up some of the stick on circles from advanced auto but this would be much cleaner. :popcorn:

16. Apr 17, 2015 at 10:32 AM
    Capt. Obvious

Capt. Obvious Fearless Keyboard Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrick
    Gig Harbor
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    6" body lift, LEDs errwhere, Jesus mural on the hood
    I'm in if you make it happen. The stick-on blindspot mirrors I have now are less than ideal.

17. Apr 17, 2015 at 3:23 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    This would be a great idea. I'd probably do it for anything less than about $70. Above that I'd still consider it but less likely to buy.

18. Apr 17, 2015 at 3:43 PM
    NYNURSE

NYNURSE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rye, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover Window tint
    This sounds interesting. Having a shell, visibility at best is hampered. Would probably use the passenger side most.
    Willing to be the guinea pig for the glass on glass mount. Only issue I can think of is clearance inside the housing.

19. Apr 17, 2015 at 5:21 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST

That works for me! Far less than the price I was thinking in my head. Taking into account that it would be a new product, taking something from R&D to an actual working prototype to the actual production run and distribution is a PITA (I know from experience). I think $35 is a great deal! Even if it is just sizing and cutting a new peice of glass, companies take into account the cost of set-up time involved and the fact that they have to possibly shut down their regular production to get this going. You can count me in for a set if this goes down.

And what's with the poll? Its looking so close for people just chiming in to say that they want to keep their stock mirrors. It does take some getting used to, but there are so many benefits to these mirrors!

Good job OP! There's definitely a market for these considering that our cabs feel almost claustrophibic with the limited field of vision our mirrors provide.

20. Apr 17, 2015 at 5:39 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Same here. I put a sticky, quarter circle, spherical mirror on my wife's at the lower right corner. That works great.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top