1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Assistance in Looking at a Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wlmuncy, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Mar 10, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    Logically Insane

Logically Insane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    TN --- USA
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Access Cab
    Kobalt toolbox mounted with J-Hooks, Locks on storage compartments in bed, Window Visors, Toolbox LED Lights, Underbody Lights, More to come.

I came down to the Chevy Colorado and Tacoma... I always loved the looks of the Colorado, just didn't much care for it after a test drive.

2. Mar 11, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    Dan in Wyo

Dan in Wyo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Wyoming
    Well this is my first post and I started looking around this site to decide if I should go with another Frontier or a Tacoma. Currently I have a 2006 King Cab SE 4x4 with the 4.0 V6. My wife and I are about to start a family, so the KC really doesn't work well with child seats so were looking for a 4-door. I was reading posts in this forum to try and get a feel for these trucks and when I came across this post I knew I hit paydirt.

Reading through some of the posts, some people say Tacoma is the way to go but why? I know the Frontier has more torque and horsepower but can you notice it in the Tacomas? Also, I usually get around 18-20 mpg on the highway and I read a few that Tacomas get better, how much? What about the plastic bed, any problems there?

Just a few questions from a Frontier owner is is looking at a 4-door TRD or the 4-door Pro-4x or what ever there calling it now.

3. Mar 11, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    YoterHead

YoterHead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma is about 400 lbs lighter than the Frontier so the Tacoma is a little quicker. Towing power is comparable but the towing package on the Tacoma is nice. Gas mileage would depend on how you drive. 18-20 is about average on here for mixed driving. If you have a light foot you can get above 20, if you have a heavy foot or add bigger tires etc, you'll be below 18. Overall the plastic bed is tough. People who haul dirt bikes and atvs usually have to add additional D-rings to the bed since the bed rails aren't too strong (~200 lbs I think they're rated at). Overall no major concerns on the plastic bed.

4. Mar 11, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    Dan in Wyo

Dan in Wyo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Wyoming
    Do the Tacoma's have something that they are notorious for? I heard something about the "tick", not sure what that is but I imagine it has to do something with the engine.

But 400lbs would offset the HP and torque difference that the Frontier has on the Tacoma?

Right now, I'm seriously leaning towards the Tacoma as our next truck.

5. Mar 11, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    When I checked out my silver DC LB tacoma at my dealership, they also had a black crew cab lb frontier (I had been looking for a black tacoma), but after looking at the frontier for a couple of minutes I just couldn't stand the look of it. I think the frontier is hideous. I got a pretty good deal on my tacoma in June of 2009 and I have not had any problems or regretted buying it at all.

6. Mar 11, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    YoterHead

YoterHead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma's aren't perfect by any means, but neither is the Frontier.

The "tick" is a ticking noise that the engine makes that's most notable while idling. It's nothing to worry about, but it annoys some people.

The thing that ends up being big to many people is the strength of the leaf springs. They give a nice ride stock, but if you load 4-500 lbs, you will most likely bottom out over bumps or rough roads. There's a TON of informaiton on this on these forums, use the search feature to find it. Toyota offers a TSB to basically add a leaf and stiffen the suspsension. I had mine done and it improved the ride greatly.

The only other thing that really bugged me when I first got the truck is the paint quality. Nothing horrible, just prone to rock chips and such.

There's a video somewhere around here of a consumer group comparing the Tacoma and Frontier. I think they end up recommending the Frontier. The Tacoma will cost a little more, but will have a better resale value also.

You said you're looking at a 4-door. Are you looking at an SR5, TRD OffRoad, or TRD Sport?

7. Mar 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    FishErTaco

FishErTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Vehicle:
    10 DoubleCab 4x4 SR5
    Extang Trifecta tonneau, black textured N-Fabs, AFE Pro Dry S, WeatherTech vent visors, WeatherTech floormats
    I test drove both a Frontier and a Tacoma on the same day when I was looking...the Tacoma seemed much more solid and less 'cheap'. And I figured the reliability of a Tacoma would be much better, I expect to keep it a long time. I also just liked the look of the Tacoma better, both exterior and interior. Good luck with your choice.

8. Mar 11, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    Tim A

Tim A Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Offroad 6 spd Double Cab
    I just bought a 2010 sr5 4x4 and I love it and I shall drive it for 15 years (hopefully)

Only things I like about Frontiers are the round fenders/wheel wells.

9. Mar 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM
    Dan in Wyo

Dan in Wyo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Wyoming

I think both trucks look fine.. I've had my fair share of problems with my Frontier, so just doing my homework on the Tacomas

10. Mar 11, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    Dan in Wyo

Dan in Wyo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Wyoming

I'm looking for a TRD OffRoad. My paint on my Frontier is fair at best. I have chips in the front and in front of the rear tires. I think I'm almost down to bare metal in some areas.

11. Mar 11, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    ummgood

ummgood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DoubleCab SR5
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is I have a friend with a 4 door frontier with the V6 and he has asked me several times how my truck handles in the rain because he states his frontier is VERY unstable when the roads are wet. I haven't had any problems with the Tacoma and it drives great in the rain.

As far as the plastic bed goes my only gripe so far is how slippery it is. I have added the bed mat but it slides out all the time on me when I have the gate down because the short bed Tacoma doesn't have any space in front of the wheel wells to catch the bed mat.

12. Mar 11, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    DeathBound

DeathBound Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    I have a '10 DC 4x4 and my mat doesn't slide. Car seats were mentioned, I have one in mine, placed it in the middle of the backseat (it's a combo carseat/booster seat). The center has less legroom for kids than the left or right side of the back seat. My 5 year old is doing fine there. I did alot of research before buying my '08 Tacoma (which I traded for my '10), the Nissan just seemed so cheap to me, too much plastic. Plus the backseats are not comfortable at all.

13. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    Dan in Wyo

Dan in Wyo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Wyoming

14. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    ummgood

ummgood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DoubleCab SR5
    Hmm interesting. Is yours the long bed DC? If I park on a slope and open my tailgate the mat just slides right out without any effort on my part. Maybe there have been improvements to the bed since 05?

I put car seats fine in mine. I have a 6 yo and a 1yo and the whole family fits in there just fine. I have to move my seat up a bit when my daughter is behind me but I fit and I am 6'4". The seat has so much travel. I have never been in a vehicle where I felt that the seat slid all the way back is almost two far away for me.

Maybe it is the year? I don't know but he and other people who have driven it complain about it. Maybe it is the power I know it has gobs of power more so than my Tacoma.

Products Discussed in

To Top