1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Assisting an Officer

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by Mrogers33, Dec 10, 2013.

?

Take the help or not?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2014.
  1. Take it

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No thanks

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Mrogers33

Mrogers33 [OP] The way is open, the time is now

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    03 doublecab 4x4 grocery getter
    You guys need an "ask a LEO" sticky thread for general inquiries... :p

I had come home from work and someone was going so fast on our one lane icy road that they smashed into my neighbors parked car and broke their wheel off and stuff. The road was completely blocked with flares up and I was talking to my neighbor (the victim) and a tow truck was 45 minutes out.

The cop was just spinning tires on the ice and burning rubber trying to ram this broken car off the road, so I offered to try and push it with 4WD and he really didn't care either way. So I pushed it around a little and was trying to spin the car when I kind of broke their bumper even more, and then the owner/driver comes up and asks me if I'm going to pay for the damage to her car that I just did, I'm thinking Jesus Christ are you for real? you could have killed someone in our little residential neighborhood. I told her I was helping the police unblock the road, then just drove away slowly and went and parked out back to avoid retaliation.

If you were on the scene of an accident like this would you decline help for worries of damage liability? I didn't care if I tweaked MY bumper or whatever and wouldn't expect anyone to be liable, but how about for the owner of the wrecked car. The cop was scraping it to hell with his bull bar anyway and I figured whats the difference who damages it? Should the owner have been asked "is it ok if this guy fucks up your car even more?" So as a LEO do you take the help or decline it?

2. freddirt

freddirt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Southern Utah
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TRD OR PRERUNNER
    Swapped out stock garbage can muffler for Magnaflow, Stock piping. Diff breather mod. Debadge. Plan on leaving this one mostly stock.
    That's mighty fine of you for offering your assistance. If that was the case and that body part of the car was already jacked from the accident... and I was already trying to do the same thing but couldn't get traction, I would have been more than happy to have you help out. The tow truck being 40 min. out and the road blocked, heck ya. If her car was already busted, its busted. They are going to have to replace the bumper anyway.
    During the little snow storm we had over the weekend, some dudes pulled up in their truck to a car that had spun off the interstate just as I got there. They saw it slide off and stopped to help pull it out. I told them to go ahead, and the driver who slid off was ok with it too. Made it easier on me, 'cause I was able to get in a good spot to warn oncoming traffic, instead of trying to get the car out and worry about getting hit. Tow trucks were slammed with other accidents and this was just a slide off.
    The only problem with your situation is there are a lot of people out there that will offer to help, but if it goes south, then they blame us. Now if I order them to help and something happens, then its totally on me. Like if you would have tried to push that car off and it spun around and hit the side of your truck or something, then what would you do. That's the kind of stuff that goes into my thinking when someone offers to help. There is a lot of liability when we start having other people get involved. But I am stoked to hear that you did offer a hand, need more people like you/us out there. People willing to take a second out of there day to help.
    With your situation, I would have explained to the lady that was driving recklessly or too fast for the conditions, that I will add it to my report that you helped. I would have told her I was just trying to do the same thing, so she needs to chill and get off your back. And with the road being blocked, there is potential for another wreck or others to get hurt. Get that crap off the road ASAP if it can be done safely.

Hope my opinion novel answered your question...

3. Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings,... oh and the hot wife mod.
    If your vehicle touches my vehicle and I had no say in it ... I would be upset whether it was already fucked up or not. I would also be in a bad mood because of the wreck ... tho I wouldn't ask if you were going to pay for it I might make a comment like "Please don't fuck my car up more trying to be a hero"

It's totally cool to assist if the cop wants it but you might have crossed a line by trying to push the car off the road. My experiences tell me that most of the time the police don't want help unless there is really some threat to them or someone else.

Just my 2 p.

4. IronPig

IronPig Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC
    Toytech Ultimate Lift Kit, LR UCA's, T3 eyelids, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, FN Type X wheels, Debadged, Homer Taco Raptor Grill and lower valance grill, painted lower valance, blacked out skid plate, Flyze Eye interior light, LED interior lights, EZ down tailgate
    In today's world, liability is everything!! Unfortunately, you doing a good thing came back and bit you on the butt. I would NOT allow you to help out like that mainly because I would fear what actually did happen. I would not want to put you on the line for something that I considered my responsibility. If I could not push her out of the way, then we will wait for the tow. If the other car is damaged as a result of you helping, then technically you are responsible for it. If I used my patrol car to push a car out of the way and damaged the bumper, then my Dept will have to pay for that. Even if the situation dictates I move the car (hazard) we still fix that car if we damage it. Sucks, but that is society!!

5. Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    I would try to help only if I can do so in a way that does not damage the other car like pulling it or digging it out. Also would get permission and make sure to have a witness.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. AG87BlkLX

AG87BlkLX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Greenbrier, TN
    If the lady finds out your info I bet you will be hearing from her insurance company. It sucks because you were just trying to help.

7. TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 GO VOLS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    I would not help move a car unless i new the person the crashed and the officer was ok with it.

like if a buddy went in a ditch or something and i had a winch and could pull it out and if car/truck was fine to drive home. save time for the tow truck and save the coast of one. BUT ONLY if i knew the person and they and the officer was ok with it.

8. Mrogers33

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    Cool thanks for the responses fellas and i completely understand the liability aspect especially now in hindsight. I have to agree that I would be liable for that part of the car if it became damaged, i assume the officer on the scene and the neighbor pretty much told her tough luck you shouldn't have been speeding in the first place.

9. Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ProComp 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Dynomax catback, Weathertech liners,Toyota bed mat, Silverstar Ultra's, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's,bedlights and other small stuff.
    Our dept. has a form for that. A release of liability form. I've used it for similar situations or if I think I might break something trying to help the situation. I use them with child lockout's in the summer. I have the parent sign the form and use a window punch on a window.

10. Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    If its just property, leave it be. If its life and death, maybe. I pissed of many a person by refusing to tie on or use my car to move theirs. But its the "right" way to do it, there are tow trucks for a reason, and time is only an inconvenience. If its to save a person, it sucks for me, that uniforms melt and burn in a fire.

11. Indy

Member:
    You have to love polyester, once it's hot it melts and turns into liquid fire fuel you can't get off your skin. Great material for emergency crews.

12. Indy

Member:
    To the OP. If the front bumper is broken, and then you break the rear bumper, the rear bumper is on you. Just because x is damaged doesn't mean that y is unimportant to the owner.

That an LE was damaging their car 'ramming' another off the road for no reason is baffling in and of itself. There are tow trucks for a reason. As long as it was not going to kill anyone by sitting there the LE (locally) would be getting a nice unpaid vacation for damaging city and personal property.

13. Mrogers33

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    This happened this time last year, i agree the LE was probly unexperienced and ticked off that the perp would drive like that in a residential area, i was too and if i saw it again in front of my property i would just say fuck it not worth my trouble, but i do have tow straps now so whatevs

14. Fredfifty

Fredfifty Mall Crawler Status

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Big Island - SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    15 DC SB PreRunner
    The Stockness Monster
    to CYA I would have asked permission of the owner second (after asking the PO first)

To Top