1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

at a crossroad.. may sell the truck looking for opinion

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mickyd9990, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Oct 26, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    mickyd9990

mickyd9990 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    marc
    ri
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma off road
    so at my local dealer today checking out a bike they just got in trade.. after some back in forth the salesman ask me what im driving i point to my speedway blue tacoma.. his jaw drops and ask me what my plans are.. so i told him im honestly thinking about selling it and buying an older tacoma since i sold all my toys and no longer need a tow rig or a super dependable truck..since the truck is already paid off i can pay all off my other debt.. school loans and credit cards and get a beater and not have any bills..

so he says let me get my manager.. so manager comes down and looks at the truck and takes it for a drive.. comes back and goes in his office.. 5 minutes later he comes back out and says ill give you 16000 for your truck!! i was quite surprised at the offer.. blue book list it at 17500..

do they know something i dont.. do i have a super special truck or something lol hahaha.. ive never heard of them offering so much.. last year i tried to trade it in at a different dealer for a trail teams fj and they only offered me 14500...

i have an 2007 tacoma speedway blue auto access cab trd offroad package with the tow package.. just hit 78000 miles..

im looking at this as i can sell this truck pay off all my debt entirely and still have enough cash to buy a beater truck... whats everyone think??? im open for opinions..

2. Oct 26, 2011 at 9:07 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    $16,000 is a good price for that truck.

Is this just to buy it outright? Not trading it on anything, or is this trading for the bike you saw?

You just have to decide if you'd rather bay on your debit minimally each month, accruing interest, or if you'd rather ditch the truck, pay off the debt and have an older truck that is going to require more maintenance over the years.

I almost did the latter myself, before buying my 2011. But I didn't want to have to worry about maintenance, given that I live in an apartment, I'd have nowhere to do the work and it'd be a huge headache. So I just continue to pay down my debts each month, and pay a truck payment each month.

In the end, it will all come down to what you value more.

Fink[​IMG]

3. Oct 26, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Sell it, buy a 2nd gen base 4 banger tacoma used. You don't want a shitty frame older Tacoma living in RI with all the road salt.

4. Oct 26, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    mickyd9990

Member:
    First Name:
    marc
    ri
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma off road
    16000 cash outright.. not trading in twards the bike they just want to buy it..

my thing is with having no bills i can bank money and in 3 or 4 years put down a ton on a new tacoma!! will just have to suffer with a beater for a little bit.. i work exactly 1.4 miles away from my house.. so miles dont add up very fast..

5. Oct 26, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    In that case, that's a pretty damn good deal from the pricing I just ran on KBB, Edmunds and NADA.

As long as you are sure you are going to be happy in an older truck, and you don't mind the risk of extra maintenance costs, I say sell it and get yourself an older 2nd gen, or a 1st gen with no apparent frame issues (good point, Buzz :thumbsup:).

Fink[​IMG]

6. Oct 26, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    mickyd9990

Member:
    First Name:
    marc
    ri
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma off road
    Ya average book value is 17 to 18.. so I don't think I can really get too much more in a private party sale after taking time to advertise, meet potential buyers and the haggling that goes with that..

7. Oct 26, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    I would agree. The most you'd get is probably $17,500 or so.

Fink[​IMG]

8. Oct 26, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    x2,they make new ones everyday.you can get one later with that big deposit

9. Oct 26, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Every now and again someone comes on here with a similar story.

It appears that in some parts of the country Speedway Blue is in demand and hard to get.

Maybe ask for a little extra just to make sure you're not leaving any money on the table.

To Top