1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AT Habitat, Atlas, & Summit Pictures, ideas, aaand BS

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by excorcist, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Feb 5, 2018 at 5:32 PM
    corprin

corprin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin
    We've had ours for about 6mo, with a few dozen nights in it.

Right now the taco is in winter hibernation at my sister in law's place.

IMG_1316.jpg

Cons:
    - By far the worst part is dragging your back across the rear opening, over the tail gate in the middle of the night.

- We have the thick fabric olive tent. That combined with an early sleep platform in a short bed unit caused a perfect storm. Over the course of our two week trip across Utah and Colorado, we ended up forming a couple holes in our tent. This was caused by the top bow making a pressure/wear point along the front edge of the sleep platform. AT met us on the road, looked it over, determined the culprit, and when we got home a new tent body was waiting for us.

- I wish I would have opted for the paint match.

Pros:
    - everything!!! We came from a well loved rooftop tent, but with two kids, we outgrew it. The quality and build is far in excess of our $1400 RTT. I was unsure, and looking for a used flippac or something. Glad we went with the habitat.

I am sure I'll have some more in a few.

IMG_0407.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. Feb 5, 2018 at 5:47 PM
    Taquita

Taquita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver co
    Vehicle:
    Pos
    Rust
    It’s nice that your set up fits into your garage, I’m two inches to tall to fit in my garage. It kills me to have my brand new taco sitting out in the elements. Cons! Yea I needed a skin graph on my back after jumping in the back of the truck one night. Lol

3. Feb 5, 2018 at 6:07 PM
    excorcist

excorcist [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '06 dcsb, '86 pickup, '89 runner

I put a piece of rubber fender trim there and it has made it ALOT less dangerous.

Taquita[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Feb 5, 2018 at 7:08 PM
    corprin

corprin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin

That's my sister in law's garage, 8' doors. My house has 7' doors and the truck in daily driver mode is right at 7'... she stays in the driveway. I get it though. This is two days after we got back from picking the Habitat up.

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg

5. Feb 5, 2018 at 7:50 PM
    Helitaco

Helitaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Skagway, AK
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC OR
    We had gusts up to 60 mph last night in Skagway, AK. That is the image that kept me up all night haha

6. Feb 5, 2018 at 9:02 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Anyone take extra precautions to deter dust intrusion into habitat? I took some good ~20 mile trips on dirt and didn't notice much dust in bed, but just bought a tailgate seal to deter it... Also thinking of siliconing a few of the little gaps.

7. Feb 5, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    @excorcist Have you posted a write up anywhere on how you made that swing out?

excorcist[OP] likes this.
  8. Feb 5, 2018 at 9:17 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Not yet... Its funny some ideas you develop in your head never translate when you actually try and build them, but this has been better than I had planned. As far as I know its the only swingout built around the stock bumper, and probably weighs 1/4 of a traditional armored bumper w/ swingout.

I have been meaning to do a writeup on it, Ill try and get working on that this week and tag you when its done. (to get your mind going, think of an avid rear bumper guard with swingout)

9. Feb 5, 2018 at 9:21 PM
    Moogle

Moogle Dyslexic Stanist

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Alameda, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 6-speed
    Blood of virgins
    Here is a post from my build thread talking about the hooks I replaced on the tent wing straps.

Helitaco and excorcist[OP] like this.
  10. Feb 5, 2018 at 9:24 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    I saw this a while back when reading your build thread, need to order some of those.

tacofort likes this.
  11. Feb 6, 2018 at 4:08 AM
    SliMbo4.0

SliMbo4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DCSB TRD offroad
    BP51, BAMF hangers, BruteForce HC, SCS, Vagabond Drifter
    sub'd for future updates. also just started looking into these for ease of use/comfort on my groups' weekend trips and family outings. my back and the families' needs have changed, so goes the story of the build right. lol

Anyone want to buy an offroad trailer and/or some kayaks to help fund my habitat? :D

are there no options to run a full roof rack? I saw a FlipPac once that had some tracks between the bed and Pac to raise it up but not sure how it was constructed. going to see if I can track down some info, otherwise my rack will be for sale also.:(

12. Feb 6, 2018 at 7:03 AM
    tacofort

tacofort Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO, Automatic, Cement
    Adventure Trailers Tacoma Habitat Pelfreybilt Rock Sliders Line-X Pelfreybilt Pro mid, Gas, Exhaust Reroute Skids Hondo Unholey Dash mount Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts Weathertech Floor Liners
    I ordered, and set them in a cubby in the truck for when the stock ones fail.

excorcist[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Feb 6, 2018 at 8:37 AM
    yellowdogpaddler

yellowdogpaddler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB OR
    GoFast Camper, Faulken WildPeak, TRD Pro (4Runner) Wheels), Goal Zero Yeti/Solar
    Are any suspension upgrades or modifications needed or help after adding Habitat to keep it's off-road worthiness? I am looking at King OEM or BP-51 as a suspension upgrade.

tacofort and excorcist[OP] like this.
  14. Feb 6, 2018 at 8:40 AM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Ideally Yes, if you leave your stock springs in there you will be sagging. I actually have an SUA and will be needing to either get some special AAL or a custom pack from Alcan made.

15. Feb 6, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    Moogle

Moogle Dyslexic Stanist

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Alameda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blood of virgins
    Roof rack is listed as an option online. The pictures AT used to show online of their prototype had roof rack cross bars. And as some have mentioned you can get L-track either installed by AT or yourself.

Also, this is probably the FlipPac you saw with the track between the bed and shell:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/wts-2012-adventure-trailers-flippac-camper.529132/

16. Feb 6, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    You are probably talking about G.T.'s flippac found for sale here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...rs-flippac-camper.529132/page-3#post-17078210

You could conceivably do the same thing with the habitat, but honestly your not going to be able to put anything on the section of rack thats below the overhang anyways so you might as well just trim it down.

17. Feb 6, 2018 at 9:06 AM
    yellowdogpaddler

yellowdogpaddler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB OR
    GoFast Camper, Faulken WildPeak, TRD Pro (4Runner) Wheels), Goal Zero Yeti/Solar
    And what about struts/shocks... will stock struts/shocks need to be upgraded from stock?

18. Feb 6, 2018 at 9:09 AM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Not unless you are planning on getting a lift... I guess if you really want to get the best ride you can get kings or the like and have them valved for the specific weight.

19. Feb 6, 2018 at 9:52 AM
    tacofort

tacofort Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO, Automatic, Cement
    Adventure Trailers Tacoma Habitat Pelfreybilt Rock Sliders Line-X Pelfreybilt Pro mid, Gas, Exhaust Reroute Skids Hondo Unholey Dash mount Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts Weathertech Floor Liners
    I finally got around to doing an OME HD Dakar leaf pack with an additional leaf. I upgraded to Fox 2.5 in the rear with DSC adjusters. The adjusters, so I can tune for the load in the back. I'll do the front soon, but takes time. Also upgraded to superbumps all the way around. At minimum, you will need some sort of AAL to help with the extra weight. Speaking from a guy that was riding on bump stops for a little while, the sooner you do this the better. Get whatever struts or shocks you want, but the rear leaf springs are what really will need quick attention.

I guess when Toyota designed the max load for the Tacoma, they never expected people would actually keep it on their vehicles around the clock.

20. Feb 6, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    Moogle

Moogle Dyslexic Stanist

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Alameda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blood of virgins
    As been mentioned, upgrading your springs is kind of more important to handle the weight, but that typically comes along with a lift which necessitates shocks (and they're a good idea anyway)

For myself I went with All-Pro expo springs, and for now I have Bilstein B110 shocks until I get relocated shock towers installed for 12" Kings.

Down the road if I ever get a rear armor with a swingout I'll probably consider getting a custom leaf pack from Deaver or Alcan. But that's far away for now.

Products Discussed in

To Top