1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AT Habitat, Atlas, & Summit Pictures, ideas, aaand BS

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by excorcist, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:13 AM
    URBIKESUCKS

URBIKESUCKS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    outstanding, and noticable difference closing and latching it down when its colder?

2. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:29 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    I know this wasn't aimed at me, but here's my 2 cents.

I've definitely noticed the difference between higher and lower temperatures when opening and closing the Habitat. You get FAR less help from the struts at the low temperatures. It's really easy to see when you open it in cold temps, when you release the latches it only angles up a small amount, where in hot temps it seems to spring up at a pretty steep angle.

I'm pretty short, and since I no longer use the rods to open and close, it can sometimes be a lil bit of a struggle when it's cold. Hot day, *SPROING*, it practically opens itself.

And as for latching it down, it's easier without fighting the struts.

3. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    IanAlpinist

IanAlpinist Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma V6 super charged, 2016 Tacoma TRD Off-road DCLB
    Honestly since I have only had it a month now and only slept in it two nights and one nap plus opening a million times to show people it has only been in the cold so I can’t say whether it is easier or harder. All I can say is that the rubber latches are noticeably stiff and it closes really easy especially when all the tent is tucked in appropriately.

I will be interested to see how it is when it is warm.

4. Dec 6, 2018 at 12:15 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    pretty easy when is warm hot, I have used mine in the warm hot and its gotten easier with use. I have earlier version with Green tent and the material is thicker per AT. Gonna set up in drive and see how it reponds to cold weather 20s in the am. Thanks

5. Dec 6, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    Noticed in cooler weather was just curious about cold weather, 30s would prob be max, I have a short haired dog that come salong. no heating system but might look into a mr buddy. Im the same way... hot days and liberal women sans the over the shoulder bolders holder and im SPROING.... Dont get me started on the things they call shorts now a days...

6. Dec 6, 2018 at 12:37 PM
    corprin

corprin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin
    Never had issue open and close below 30. There was more of an effect with the olive tent body vs the gray.

7. Dec 6, 2018 at 12:47 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    thanks, will find out soon. I hope it will retain heat and last a lil longer with the thicker material. I like the green over the grey with a silver truck.

8. Dec 6, 2018 at 12:49 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    did you paint or did you buy your habitat Black

9. Dec 6, 2018 at 12:54 PM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    It's gonna be cold inside without a propex or webasto or something like that. The mr. buddy warms it up FAST, but running it all night doesn't seem a good option, specially with the condensation. We got to the mid/low 20s and had ice on the interior of the tent. We are looking forward to getting out again and trying to sleep with the windows open a bit to get some breeze to keep the condensation from building up and soaking everything.

10. Dec 6, 2018 at 1:00 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    too funny I was just reading post about the mr buddy, also looking at small heating pad. I have a dual batt and solar. my concern is amp draw as is any electrical solar. I have solar at the house and have been playing around with passive solar collector. maybe a light weight version for habitat

11. Dec 6, 2018 at 1:05 PM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    My wife just got a 12v heated blanket and we want to give it a try overnight and see how much the batteries drain (also dual battery... well, 2x house batteries for Habitat). Our 100 watt solar panel was more than able to keep up with our fridge and recharging our cell phones over night, so hopefully it'll be able to handle the blanket as well (helps that the fridge doesn't need much juice when it's this dang cold!)

12. Dec 6, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    Excellent, yeah my engle 45 can run awhile 1 house batt, 100watt panel NL isolator so it charges when I run truck. I did rig a shore power plug thru truck so if Im at a place with power I can recharge and run crap. may have to look at 2nd house batt.

13. Dec 6, 2018 at 1:15 PM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    I currently run an extension cord through at the corner of the tailgate to an onboard charger and the fridge, but I've never installed the actual external receptacle I've had since I bought the stuff. Would look much nicer, and be easier to plug in.

14. Dec 6, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    I only did it because some lady on her cell phone backed into me and put a dent right next to my fuel door. So its on the correct side if you will for campgrounds that I mostly try to avoid. Gonna start simple upgarde sleeping bag and take from there. Shit many of nights sleeping on the ground or propped against a tree in the military. dont care to go back to ground sleeping ever again. well time for the meds and not allowed to be on the computer when I take them, I start writing all kinds of crazy crap. have a good one

Manfred and YF_Ryan[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Dec 6, 2018 at 1:49 PM
    Manfred

Manfred Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manfred
    Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB
    All of them
    Did your recruiter also ask you if you like camping? Lol

16. Dec 6, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    corprin

corprin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin

I told mine I wanted to be in the field because to I didn’t want to walk anywhere.

He gave me both.

Always in the field, always had a truck, ATV, or something with a motor. Any humping was done with only the absolute minimum to be mission effective.

Manfred[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Dec 6, 2018 at 3:56 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    I dont recall but I was a detailed recruiter ie as they call it special duty assigement and I used to ask kids all the time. I was a communications cat and was assigned to infantry, field artty and cav units. so light units we were humpin alot mech we were drivin alot. alomost 25years, 5 guard 20 active. DMZ Korea, Kosovo, pakistan, afgan and last deploymet 15 months in Iraq. retired and get a few wooden nickles every month so I cant bitch.

Gunshot-6A and Manfred[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Dec 6, 2018 at 4:47 PM
    IanAlpinist

IanAlpinist Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma V6 super charged, 2016 Tacoma TRD Off-road DCLB
    I paid to have them paint it at the recommendation of many of you on here. I figured with the amount of money being spent I want it to last for a long long time.

I second what @YF_Ryan says about the buddy heater. I use our and just crack a window. A lot less condensation with a window cracked. Also a good quality sleeping bag goes a long way. We come from a climbing and mountaineering background so maybe we just don’t notice or care camping in the cold. First night was in the 20’s and 2nd night out was in the negatives.

19. Dec 6, 2018 at 6:35 PM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    I spent those 20 degree nights in comfort in a zero degree sleeping bag. My always cold wife was the same in her -15 bag. I bought her a liner that's supposed to add 32 degrees to the bag too, but that'll be under the Christmas tree. I was really surprised at how well it kept me warm, no camping background for me. And now I'm looking forward to New Years eve camping trip!

20. Dec 6, 2018 at 7:20 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    to be honest its more for my dog, and I wont complain about being a lil warmer. was org concerned about stowing habitat in cold weather. thanks for everyones input going to wallytown tom to pick up buddy heater

Products Discussed in

To Top