1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AT Habitat, Atlas, & Summit Pictures, ideas, aaand BS

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by excorcist, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Feb 5, 2018 at 3:20 PM
    excorcist

excorcist [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '06 dcsb, '86 pickup, '89 runner
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. Feb 5, 2018 at 3:21 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Ill start by giving my brief thoughts (need to write a more in depth review after some serious time in it):

Having the Habitat is a game changer. If you are like me and still need to use your truck as a truck on occasion, then slide in pop ups(such as 4 wheel campers) just aren't an option (unless you want to remove / re install it all the time). The habitat fills the gap between the traditional topper and a full blown camper setup. One of my favorite parts about it, is I would refer to it as a blank canvas. Having the ability to build it up to suit exactly your needs is an awesome advantage. The tent is very heavy duty, and the build quality of the habitat itself is stout as hell. One of my concerns was the ease of setup/ teardown. I was very pleased to find it quicker and easier than an RTT for me.

Overall if you are considering a habitat, and you have the funds, I HIGHLY doubt you will regret it. I am not a millionaire, and I took the plunge and have been enjoying the hell out of it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    asudevil, Manfred, Shaggs and 2 others like this.
  3. Feb 5, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    I only have had the habitat for a month, and am already pretty well into the build.

After alot of back and fourth on carpet, I finally decided to use a factory bedmat for the flooring inside the habitat. I am very happy with this choice as we camp in dirt, snow, mud etc.. hardly ever on pavement...we just keep a small hand broom and sweeping it out is a breeze.

I carpeted the interior walls myself. This was a surprisingly easy and affordable task. I just measure the approximate panel size needed, get some spray adhesive from your hardware store and smooth it out with your palm, and trim with razor bladeand straight edge. While I was doing this, I took the opportunity to trim down the large aluminum bed rail mounts that are used by AT to give my bedrail LEDs some more coverage (they were being covered by the big surface area of the AT bedrail mounts) and also tapered the ends so they didn't look so clunky.

I also mounted the two support poles using Kayak paddle holders found here for 8$:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BZJO16S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and added some d rings (need 2 more) found here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CGXSNC0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are a couple pictures before/after the rails were trimmed and carpeted. (still haven't finished trimming the carpet in spots)

DSC_1841.jpg

DSC_1845.jpg

DSC_1846.jpg

One of my main objective's of this buildout is to keep things light as possible. A swingout was necessary to open up some space in the bed. All the swingout options right now are WAAY overbuilt (and heavy) for what I needed (not using for a spare tire) So I decided to build my own around the factory bumper. On one side is the 42'' plano box that I use for kitchen supplies that doubles as a fold down table. It fits a standard coleman grill PERFECTLY and plenty of room for other stuff. The other side holds an axe, shovel, an aluminum 6lb propane tank, 4 gallon rotopax, and trasharoo. (need to get better pics)

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

There is a bunch of other stuff I have done (modified prinsu to fit, removed tailgate panel and made a flat surface, ABS panel for table surface in plano box, other little random stuff) but it was alot to write in one post I'll work on getting better pictures and details of everything.

Still to be done:

I have 8 4' sections of l-track to mount on the inside and outside walls of habitat, as well as 2 6' sections for roof. These will be mounted using 1/4-20 nut-serts.

I am going to make a gravity feed water system using 4'' black abs pipe, it will be mounted on the passenger side so the swingout kitchen area has easy access to water.

+much more other stuff

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    TacoEspecial, musher, mudrn8r and 8 others like this.
  4. Feb 5, 2018 at 3:28 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Photos inside the tent?

excorcist[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 5, 2018 at 3:30 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    toyhab8.jpg

6. Feb 5, 2018 at 3:40 PM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
  7. Feb 5, 2018 at 3:47 PM
    Helitaco

Helitaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Skagway, AK
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC OR
    Awesome! I’ll post up some of my mods a little later. Thinking about mounting some l-track as well. There’s two strips on my roof for the rack.

I’ve been using mine for almost 2 years now. Probably 200 nights spent in it. Only wear issue is the end connector on one of the support poles cracked. Ordered some replacements. Also there is a leak where the habitat meets the bed , front passenger corner. I have one of the first ones made, so I’m curious if they’ve changed anything.

960CCA39-1812-4716-AAF0-018FA81B3B3F.jpg

BrennMan, '14RC, 7018 and 9 others like this.
  8. Feb 5, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Your truck looks great!

Helitaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 5, 2018 at 3:59 PM
    Moogle

Moogle Dyslexic Stanist

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Alameda, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 6-speed
    Blood of virgins
    What roof rack are you running? Doesn't look like Prinsu, unless they updated their design for Habitat setups. That's one of the next things on my list of mods, especially now that I have a fridge and need to get solar.

10. Feb 5, 2018 at 4:03 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Hmm, you mean the metal connector with the little spring mechanism? Did you have to order through AT or are elsewhere?

I know the biggest change was the solid aluminum sides vs the white panels that your model has. Is the leak coming from in between the bed and the habitat or the habitat body itself?

11. Feb 5, 2018 at 4:04 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Keep us posted on your solar setup. Definitely on my list.

12. Feb 5, 2018 at 4:04 PM
    Helitaco

Member:
    Skagway, AK
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC OR
    It’s a custom Eezi Awn K9 rack. I bought it from the AT Overland guys. I use it for solar all the time. Just ratchet strap some panels up top and run it to my dual battery when I go on trips where I might need it.

Moogle[QUOTED] and excorcist[OP] like this.
  13. Feb 5, 2018 at 4:09 PM
    Moogle

Moogle Dyslexic Stanist

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Alameda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blood of virgins
    Probably will be a Renogy 100W slim panel with a 30A MPPT Charge controller. I don't have a dual battery setup though, just a single 31M. Still researching trying to figure out what's a good but not too expensive charge controller

musher and excorcist[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  14. Feb 5, 2018 at 4:11 PM
    Helitaco

Member:
    Skagway, AK
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC OR
    Yeah the spring loaded female socket connectors. I ordered through AT and they sent me new connectors that are a little different from my old ones. Im pretty sure it started to crack due to my girlfriend opening the top and not keeping the pole flush with the truck. That’s my only guess.

Yeah the leak is from where the habitat meets the bed. Or at least that’s where it’s revealing itself. It’s been a pain in my ass. I’m in Alaska right now so I can’t work in finding the leak. Too damn cold.

excorcist[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Feb 5, 2018 at 4:11 PM
    Moogle

Moogle Dyslexic Stanist

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Alameda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blood of virgins
    Mind if I ask how much they sold that to you for? When I was there getting my habitat installed I asked Martyn about racks and he mentioned the K9 but didn't give me much details about it or where to get one.

16. Feb 5, 2018 at 4:14 PM
    Helitaco

Member:
    Skagway, AK
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC OR
    Do you know the reason why they stoped making it with the separate insert panels on the sides?

IdaReggaeMon likes this.
  17. Feb 5, 2018 at 4:17 PM
    Helitaco

Member:
    Skagway, AK
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC OR
    I can’t remember the full retail price, but I paid $800 installed. They took a few hundred off the price because one of their guys drilled through my roof on accident. :thumbsup:

Moogle[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Feb 5, 2018 at 4:19 PM
    Moogle

Moogle Dyslexic Stanist

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Alameda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blood of virgins
    Thanks, so sounds like its probably comparable to Prinsu on price.

19. Feb 5, 2018 at 4:21 PM
    Helitaco

Member:
    Skagway, AK
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC OR
    Yeah, most likely. I’m mounting a KC Pro6 led light bar to the front of it next week. I’ll post some pics when it’s up.

excorcist[OP] and Moogle[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Feb 5, 2018 at 4:34 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    I asked AT about that and whomever I spoke to said they hadn't experienced any issues but were worried about repeated freezing / thawing of that area and a possible seperation of the panels as a result, and figured it was just a more simple overall design to make it one panel.

Products Discussed in

To Top