1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

At what temperature does the engine fan clutch engage? 2003 base truck

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hansel, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Apr 23, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    Hansel

Hansel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    base
    I have a Taco that's been in a wreck and the radiator was pushed back into the fan. There is a bodyman in Mexico that will do the work pretty cheap. I live 10 miles from the border. A vehicle can not cross the US/Mexico border in tow, it has to cross under its own power.

Here is my plan:

Tow the Taco close to the border. Get in start the engine, and drive it across. The body man's shop is about 1.5 miles south of the border.

Does anyone know at what engine temperature the fan will engage? I'm just trying to figure out how far I can drive before I need to shut her down. I want to avoid doing any more damage to the radiator or fan by the clutch engaging the fan and allowing the fan to turn.

Thanks for your help

2. Apr 23, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    abuali7866

abuali7866 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    MN
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4 Auto SR5
    Couple of bolt ons
    Nogales? If your fan clutch is defective, you really need to consider what time of day you go. I'd head out at the butt-crack of dawn. You don't want to sitting in line in the baking sun and overheat your engine on your way into Mexico.

Out of curiosity. about how much do you save have the work done south of the border?

3. Apr 23, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    Hansel

Hansel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    base
    Nogales. Actually the fan clutch is fine. What I'm trying to do is drive it across before the engine warms up enough to engage the fan clutch. When that happens the fan will turn....and due to the wreck, the fan is rubbing against the radiator...so I want to avoid that...and yep, my plan is to drive it across just after sunrise when it's still cool.

My friend (Mexican fellow who lives on the US side of the border) has a Taco that was in a front end wreck. He had his fixed by a fellow he knows in Mexico. I saw the before and after and this guy does great work, especially for the money. He charged $300 for the bodywork and painting (including the paint). My friend had to provide the parts...he bought new (but aftermarket, I think Korean parts) parts. So for under $800 his truck looked great. In the USA that would have been a $2000 repair easy, probably over $3k with Toyota parts.

4. Apr 23, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    come along, tree, and chain, you should at least pull the cross brace out far enough so the fan will not wapa wapa against the radiator when it comes on...

I have use the come along to do this several times, especially after I hit a tree in the front yard....had a couple of beers was wearing snowboots, pushed brake pedal and gas at same time, omg...

Whatever, ez fix...

Do the minimum pulling first, it is going to be done anyway when you deliver the truck south of the border, that way you won't have an OMG...

Good luck....

Products Discussed in

To Top