1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Atl-atl's TRD Off Road Access Cab documentation thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Atl-atl, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Feb 7, 2020 at 7:44 AM
    Snaeper

Snaeper Drinks like an 8, Drives like a 3

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand SX 2.7 4x4 1990 Toyota Celica ST
    SnugTop Rebel, Infinity Kappa's, ToughDog 40mm
    Knowing that it sits loaded works for me, I dont mind level while loaded.

I think I could make Dakar's work but I feel like my needs sit between Mediums and Heavy's.

2. Feb 7, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    Atl-atl

Atl-atl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Yeah between the Leer, the slide, the sleeping platform and the full size spare Im sure Ive got a solid 400lbs, if not more, of payload at all times. You want my current leaf packs? That'll force me to get new ones hahahaha.

3. Feb 7, 2020 at 8:23 AM
    Snaeper

Snaeper Drinks like an 8, Drives like a 3

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand SX 2.7 4x4 1990 Toyota Celica ST
    SnugTop Rebel, Infinity Kappa's, ToughDog 40mm
    Thanks, but I'll break my own in. :D

Atl-atl[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 16, 2020 at 8:18 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Went camping up above Roosevelt Lake AZ last night with some friends and then two of us took a muddy snowy backroad adventure long way home up through Young AZ and Payson AZ with a pitstop at THAT Brewery this afternoon. It was a great weekend. We had my truck, an SR5 3rd Gen, a TRD Tundra with a nice roof tent setup, a diesel grand cherokee, an LR4 on steelies and air suspension that is rad AF. The best news of all, not a single tire rub all weekend! Anyway, pictures.

[​IMG]

The prominent mountains in the distance are "Four Peaks" and the lake below is Theodore Roosevelt Lake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hate mud
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

snowsk8air2 likes this.
  5. Feb 18, 2020 at 6:27 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Well I went to the stealership to get yet another alignment and my 35k service, which is basically a worthless reason to get you into the dealership. After THREE AND A HALF HOURS I get in the truck to drive home and this happens 500 feet down the road...

[​IMG]

I head straight back and tell them whats up. They tell me oh yeah after the alignment the tech mentioned that came up so he reset the sensors. Well, he didn't reset them correctly. Another hour later they are done and admit the first time they did a "quick" reset so this time they did a full reset of the sensors. I didn't realize there was a "quick" reset. Funny thing is, a few months ago they made me sign one of the waivers saying my sensors cant be recalibrated due to my lift. I shouldnt be surprised.

6. Feb 18, 2020 at 8:31 PM
    snowsk8air2

snowsk8air2 how hard can it be?

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    Anyone make bypasses for the sensors to trick them into just thinking they’re fine all the time without letting them actually interfere with the truck?

7. Feb 18, 2020 at 9:30 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    I haven't heard of such a thing and probably wouldn't ever try it, at least not on my daily driver. Ideally there would be a way to simply turn off the feature but I dont think thats possible.

8. Feb 20, 2020 at 7:37 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    So I bought one of those Amazon tailgate seal kits. I changed some of the installation suggestions and added a bunch of extra because they ship enough for a fullsize truck. Wound up being able to seal off all light coming through the various gaps in the tailgate and topper joints. Hopefully Ill be able to get out in the dirt soon and test it. Ill be really happy if I can keep almost all the dust out of the back when I go camping. The shape of the seal works really well but it definitely makes the tailgate very hard to shut. You basically have to slam it but its a very firm/solid thud when it closes and Im happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IPQWXZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Instead of cutting the seal around the rubber tailgate stops I removed them and ran the seal straight up. The seal does a better job than these stops anyway.

[​IMG]

Added extra seals

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snaeper likes this.
  9. Mar 15, 2020 at 5:33 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Well Ive kinda been ignoring the truck because I bought a new motorcycle. I did tear the left UCA off the truck again because it just wont stop squeaking, even after new bushings and 3 different types of grease. Ive reached out to Dirt King and they have nothing left to offer which is incredibly frustrating and I think Ill be ditching these arms in favor of another brand.

[​IMG]

New truck toy for the moto so I can drag it around to different places and ride. Im thinking some beach camping and cruising Highway 1 might be in order.

[​IMG]

Im also thinking of modifying it in a way that will let me attach a 1UP bike rack so I can bring both types of cycle with me on adventures.

[​IMG]

And here is the new ride. Husqvarna Vitpilen 401.

[​IMG]

OverlandAZ likes this.
  10. Mar 15, 2020 at 6:09 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Thanks. I did an FWC for a while, then an RTT. Surprisingly my current setup with just a sleeping platform has been the one Ive kept the longest and liked using the most. I think my next setup will be Gofast or AT Overland.

11. Mar 16, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    A little self quarantine never hurt nobody. Ironwood National Monument just outside of Tucson AZ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dirk Diggler likes this.
  12. Mar 18, 2020 at 2:38 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Im not typically one for purely cosmetic mods but the chrome on the stock grill was really starting to get to me. So I gave the truck a nose job.

Pro grill is SO MUCH BETTER!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously had to relocate my forward facing camera. Its a little off to the side now which is not optimal, it was centered on the old grill. It is a few inches higher and at a little different angle which provides a much better view so Im happy with it.

[​IMG]

piratepegleg likes this.
  13. Mar 18, 2020 at 4:59 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Also installed my DMM today. I need to figure out how to hard wire the Garmin. The far right ball is for my CB mic but Im short a double socket arm.

All the maps!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Mar 23, 2020 at 6:19 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Well quarantine has given me time to work on some projects Ive been putting off for months. I bought these slides last fall and have not had the time to build out the back seat. They lock in the closed position but not in the open position. I paid $50 for them so Im not really complaining. They are 16", beefy, dual ball bearing, single locking and have a 260lb weight rating. Ive mounted them flat to keep my install as simple as possible. This drastically reduces their capacity but they are still plenty strong to support my full 7 gallon water tank, nearly 60lbs.

I removed the rear seatbelts, center console and the lids for the underseat storage container. I bolted the platform down using the seatbelt bolts so its plenty secure. I used piano hinges so both sides can flip up to access storage underneath. Some threaded eyelets to use for ratchet strap tie downs and voila! The best part is, everything I used is stuff I had laying around from other projects. The only thing I bought was the slides and that was six months ago, so it feels free ha. Only thing left to do is cover it in carpet, which I dont have, so Ill have to buy it unfortunately. Anyone have a good recommendation for carpet?

This video is with the tank full so ~60lbs on the slide. It slides out far enough to miss the side of the truck by about 9" so plenty of room to wash hands, dishes etc. without getting water inside the truck and the door closes without having to adjust the tank/spigot location.

[​IMG]

Remove buckles and remove the lock washer and spacer from the seatbelt buckles and reuse them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remove all the mounts and crap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both slides work with the rear door open, front door closed, seats in normal position etc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need a fridge or at least a better cooler.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tullie D, Snaeper and pridgway like this.
  15. Mar 23, 2020 at 9:16 PM
    pridgway

pridgway Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    love the build, ive got a similar idea in mind for my 2013 access cab.. nothing better than those camping pics. my aim is to keep it simple, enjoy what we have and use it to the fullest. the only thing i see maybe left to get is some armor? sliders and then skid plates? everything else just wait till you rip off to know when you need to replace, that what im telling myself.

Atl-atl[OP] and Snaeper like this.
  16. Mar 26, 2020 at 9:11 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    The quarantine trend continues. Installing mods that Ive been putting off for months. Next up, installing quick disconnect jumper cables, air compressor, ditch lights, AC drain mod.

Removing the center "trim" piece from the front bumper is actually a pain in the ass. The clips are super weak plastic, I broke about half of them getting the damn thing off. That alone is a good reason to install a slimline bumper and winch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the passenger side I pulled off the ditch light bracket that my CB antenna is mounted to, drilled a new hole and managed to squeeze a cube LED onto it. Ive had these lights sitting around for a really long time. I got them for free from someone on here and never installed them. They aren't wired up yet because Im waiting on a fuse block to show up so I can redo the wiring for my all my accessories; front camera, CB, ditch lights and compressor.

[​IMG]

Last up, I hard mounted my Viair compressor under the hood, behind the airbox. I just fab'd up a metal riser for the uneven space on top of the wheel well and used the existing threaded studs sticking up to bolt down the compressor using its own tray. I ran the cables up under the windshield wiper valence with the wires for the ditch light and it all looks really good(except that its the only thing under the hood thats clean hahaha.) Its not a compressor thats meant to be hard wired so it has the switch on the unit. I might try to wire it up to work off a switch on the dash and run an air hook up out the grill but for now Im fine popping the hood and flipping the switch. Either way its one less thing that I have to keep inside the truck taking up space.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Dirk Diggler likes this.
  17. Mar 26, 2020 at 9:23 PM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    That’s basically where I had the old one in my truck. Popping the hood and flipping the switch wasn’t any issue at all. I just kept the air hose under the back seat. Plan to put another one in the same spot. Just need a new compressor that can air up more than 1 of my tires without overheating lol.

18. Mar 26, 2020 at 9:53 PM
    Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Under the Stun Gun

Member:
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM OR DCSB
    Holy shit you're productive.

I am afraid of trying to wire my anytime camera mod because I SUCK at anything electrical

19. Mar 27, 2020 at 12:28 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    I really like Viair. Ive used mine for years. Its only a "33% duty cycle" but Ive run the thing seriously hard. It would fill up all four 37s on my dodge without ever stopping. Ive filled up two sets of 35s without it stopping. Ive had no issues at all. Hopefully I dont jinx myself.

Ha, thanks. There are more packages of things getting dropped off daily too. Lots more work to come if I dont go camping this weekend. The anytime camera was super easy. There are lots of good tutorials plus you can always ask if you get stuck. One thing Ive noticed is trolls tend to stay away from wiring/electrical conversations.

20. Mar 27, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    Yeah I’m looking into the 100% duty cycle viar. Well, not looking into it, waiting to have the cash for it lol. Then the question is do I do fancy plumbing and have air connects around the truck? No inner fenders so I can just reach under the wheel well to flip the switch

Products Discussed in

To Top