1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Atl-atl's TRD Off Road Access Cab documentation thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Atl-atl, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Mar 29, 2020 at 6:43 PM
    Atl-atl

Atl-atl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    I know how you feel. I installed a fuse block today and wired my compressor to it. It would be rad to have it wired to a switch in the cab and have an air fitting hidden inside each wheel well. For now just having it under the hood is better than it was ha.

Speaking of wiring up a fuse block. Electronics is like therapy for me. I struggle to understand it well and really have to think and concentrate. Its exhausting and really makes me feel good when I accomplish the task and everything works. The repercussions are different than most other tasks on automobiles. You can shock yourself, you can start fires, you can fry your ECU, in short you can really fuck shit up.

Im going to reroute the + jumper cable I installed this week(the big blue cable you can see in the pic) and possibly reroute some of the factory wiring, which looks like shit. I want to shorten the + and - leads on the fuse block because they are a little too long but I dont have a crimper big enough for 4GA so I just threw on the shortest premade cables I could find at the auto parts store. I also need to finish wiring my ditch lights into the block but I didnt have the correct relay so Im waiting on parts again. For now the forward facing camera and compressor work and the wiring is a lot cleaner so Im happy. I used "commercial" velcro that is sticky on both backsides so I can remove it from the relay box cover without any evidence of it ever being there. Also this makes it easier to access the relays if necessary.

[​IMG]

2. Mar 29, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Under the Stun Gun

Member:
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM OR DCSB
    Makes sense.

I'm over here shocking myself on spark plug wires n dumb shit :anonymous:

3. Apr 2, 2020 at 4:02 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Alright Im finally done with all the wiring and the lights are working. I did not run a fuse tap so the ditch light switch has ignition-on backlighting but it does light up when the lights are on which is fine with me. These things are fucking bright even in daylight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the mismatched switches. Id love to have a @switch-pros some day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Underhood is done until I add more accessories. Slick @CaliRaisedLed relay holder works great except that I broke the tab on the back of the relay the first time I slid it into place. :facepalm:
    [​IMG]

4. Apr 2, 2020 at 11:39 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Non-stop quarantine projects 'round here. Carpeting the cooler/water slides. Ran out of the correct screws to finish the top of the slides so it will have to wait until tomorrow to be complete.

[​IMG]

Necessary supplies for upholstery work
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fit before final carpeting of the upper slides.
    [​IMG]

Rockefelluh likes this.
  5. Aug 30, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Semi-necrobump here. I had put my Tacoma back to stock to concentrate on my Blazer project. Then I decided to LS swap the Blazer so its out of commission for some months. I didnt want to miss out on camping and mountain biking in Northern AZ over the summer so I put a lift/wheels/tires/roof tent etc. back on the Taco. I went a little fancier this time though...

Kings with resi's, Camburg uniball arms and wheelers superbumps in front. Fox's with resi's and clickers in the rear(got a smokin deal on them used locally) with Headstrong 3 leaf AAL, cut down overloads for extra lift and wheelers u-bolt flip+superbumps. Yes thats the exact same rear setup that I just sold like 3 months ago hahaha. Summit Dakars with 285-70-17 Toyo ATs. Some cheap bed bars I found used on craigslist, Roam Adventure Co tent and Overland Pros Wraptor 270 awning. I want 315s again but they will definitely not fit with the ridiculous width and offset of these wheels. 17x9 et -25.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those pics are the day I put on the initial lift. This weekend I raised the coilovers and added the cut down leaf as well as installed the superbumps. I need to take the truck in for the final alignment now. I think Im done messing with the suspension for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for now

[​IMG]

Fast1 and Fleischwagen like this.
  6. Jul 16, 2021 at 12:20 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Well its been almost a year and Ive changed my setup a bunch ha. Currently running a GFC+OVS 270 awning+ATOverland slide+Dometic fridge etc., 315s on Method wheels and a bunch of other crap that I will start documenting again. Im starting to think this thread needs to be moved to the "builds" forum, not sure if a Mod can/should make that happen. Instead of going back and adding all the little details of the past year Ill just post some pics of the current setup and then start moving forward. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

Added Coastal Offroad bumpers and custom sliders that @snowsk8air2 built for me and added some special touches to like the extra receiver for my bike rack and the mount for the factory Toyota trailer electronics. Turned out killer, thanks Ryan.

Still on the Kings and Headstrong AALs with a cut down overload but shes so heavy now it rides on the superbumps when loaded up for a camping trip, time for a spring swap. Going up to 650s in front and Icon RXTs in the rear. Also dropping it off @snowsk8air2 house a week from today for a complete redo of the rear suspension...

IMG_7756.jpg IMG_7722.jpg IMG_7879.jpg IMG_7897.jpg IMG_7777.jpg IMG_7746.jpg

Attached Files:

Fast1, TailHook, grogie and 2 others like this.
  7. Aug 18, 2021 at 6:47 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Skipping around a bit here. Did some major suspension mods recently and will chronicle that soon since its not quite done. My latest project is nearly complete. Im calling it "the waterslide." Built the cabinet and drawers out of 1/2" sanded ply. Dual locking slides that can also be fully extended and removed if the storage space is needed in the truck bed. Used minimal tools(just a circular saw, drill and palm sander) since my current garage situation is lacking to say the least. I tried to orient the boards to create as much strength as possible, its pretty sturdy. Then sanded it some more and stained with Minwax 2718 Ebony and gave it two coats of Minwax Helmsman. Should hold up to some decent weather. Its 26" deep which is a little shorter than the Fridge slide. The goal is to continually get rid of plastic storage bins in the back of the truck and have everything "at the ready" for quick camp setup/teardown. Since I moved my bedding to a bungee net Im now down to one bin :dancingbacon:. This cabinet should hold just about all of the cooking tools and most of the dry good like spices as well as a full paper towel roll. 7 gallons of water fits perfectly. Clears the inside of the tailgate when up and the spout sits just past the tailgate when down/slid out. Need to figure out a more sturdy solution to slide out the rear storage/paper towel cubby, its kinda wonky and really needs its own locking slide. Also toying with the idea of a strap for the water tank to keep the spout from getting damaged but its snug and wont go anywhere when the tailgate is up. There is 18" of room between the cabinet and the fridge which is plenty to stand up, climb up/down, change clothes etc. inside the GFC when its popped. They also make for good seats. For now Im going to load it up and try it out. Dont have any camping plans for a couple weeks though unfortunately.

OverlandAZ, TailHook, Phessor and 2 others like this.
  8. Aug 22, 2021 at 10:36 AM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Recently did a Genesis Offroad dual battery setup in anticipation of my fridge install. Super simple install, works well with my previously installed Blue Sea fuse block. Had some great customer service from Genesis. I posted a picture of my setup on IG and they responded to say one of my accessory wires was running to the starting battery and should go to the aux battery. Very cool of them to actually look at my post, pay enough attention to notice something wrong and drop me a line to help out! I chose two Group 34 Duracell Platinum AGM batteries for a total of 110 amp hours. They were the best $/AH that I could find. Current accessories wired through the aux battery are GFC interior lighting, fridge, fog lights, onboard air and front anytime camera. Happy to report after a few camping trips including some pretty high speed/rough offroad driving that everything works as intended. Now that I have a plate bumper, winch and dual batteries up front I need to swap to 700lb coils. I threw on some 650s and they still arent enough ha!

IMG_8513.jpg

9. Aug 22, 2021 at 11:04 AM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Then @snowsk8air2 got to work on my rear suspension. Decided to go with BAMF @JLee rear shock relocation and shackles/shackle hangers. Still waiting to fab up the crossbrace and install my limit straps but its been installed for a couple weeks now and works great. Huge travel in the rear, noticeably better on road handling characteristics and adjustable 12" travel King PR-2012-SS-A really make this setup killer. I went with Icon RXT leaf packs in the heaviest arrangement because of my GFC and other camping crap. The rear suspension is now substantially better performing offroad than the front. Gonna have to do something about that soon...

Yummy new parts

IMG_7705.jpg

IMG_7874.jpg

Swapping coils on the Kings

IMG_8044.jpg

Setting up the RXTs with the additional leaf

IMG_8053.jpg

Under construction by @snowsk8air2 photo dump

IMG_8074.jpg IMG_8077.jpg

IMG_8097.jpg

IMG_8103.jpg IMG_8082.jpg IMG_8098.jpg

Thats some clearance!

IMG_8123.jpg IMG_8124.jpg

10. Oct 16, 2021 at 2:34 PM
    Snaeper

Snaeper Drinks like an 8, Drives like a 3

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand SX 2.7 4x4 1990 Toyota Celica ST
    SnugTop Rebel, Infinity Kappa's, ToughDog 40mm
    How did you secure "the waterslide" to the bed?

11. Oct 26, 2021 at 7:38 AM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    I through bolted it to the bed. Same way I mounted the fridge/stove slide. Big fender washer on the underside. At the tailgate end there is a metal plate that runs the width of the truck so two of the bolts are through metal, not just the composite bed. It has held up to some pretty serious abuse, high speed extended runs on rough roads, lots of washboard etc.

Snaeper[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 26, 2021 at 7:38 AM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Well 9 months after installing my bumper and winch I finally wired it and spooled up the cable ha. The control box fit perfectly in the "trough" the winch lives in. Mounted it in a location where I can plug in the controller from behind the grill with the hood open or through the access hole in the front of the bumper.

edit: wow I need to ditch that ugly stock skid plate

TailHook and snowsk8air2 like this.
  13. Nov 15, 2021 at 5:02 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Havent done much work to the truck lately, life has been crazy. Got engaged, major landscaping project at home in Phoenix, bought a house in Flagstaff, end of the year as a sales rep, the usual craziness ha! Finally pulled my solar panel out of the box and got it mounted. Its a Renogy 100 watt flexible panel. Insanely thin, like 2mm. Mounted it with 3M UHB tape that is unbelievably strong. Its so thin it sits flush with the black frame of the GFC. Only the boxes where the cables are mounted stick up. Some day Ill also get around to installing my fan which will stick up higher anyway. Ill be controlling it with a Renogy Wanderer charge controller and Renogy app. I can add more panels if I ever want more power. Hoping to wire it all up this week.

Newly affianced girl did some ridiculous dances out of shear joy :rofl: We then proceeded to get rain/hailed on all night.

image.jpg

Thankfully our Overland Vehicle Systems awning saved the day/night.

Fast1, TailHook, Phessor and 3 others like this.
  14. Nov 28, 2021 at 2:44 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    More wiring projects completed. Just finished up my solar install. Everything seems to be working great! Bluetooth module/app is sweet but the cord is insanely long. The connection is RJ12 so I need to find one of those RJ cable tools to be able to shorten it. Other than that Im happy with all of the Renogy stuff. Only changes I might make in the future are adding quick disconnects for the power/ground wires for when I need/want to remove the GFC and possibly adding a second panel on the roof depending on my power needs.

Edit: Shortened the wire, much cleaner now.

IMG_9649.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    piratepegleg, TailHook and Phessor like this.
  15. Nov 30, 2021 at 4:58 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Scored a 2020 grill on craigslist for $100 :dancingbacon: Just need to get rid of the chrome headlights and relocate my front camera.

Before

After

Before

After

Fast1 and TailHook like this.
  16. Dec 12, 2021 at 4:27 PM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Finally relocated my rear camera, been on the to-do list since February when the new rear bumper went on. Removed it from the tailgate handle mount, trimmed it and jammed it into the 2" receiver. I never tow, I had @snowsk8air2 add a separate receiver to the tire swing so I can mount my bike rack and if I ever need to give someone a yank I can use one of the other recovery points on the bumper. I pulled apart the tailgate to remove the camera and wiring so it actually looks pretty tidy underneath. I might actually leave it like this permanently...

TailHook, snowsk8air2 and Phessor like this.
  17. Dec 12, 2021 at 4:35 PM
    Phessor

Phessor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD XTra Cab
    Stuff
    I'm going to copy your trailer plug frenched mount.

Atl-atl[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  18. Jan 3, 2022 at 8:50 AM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Is your rear swingout hitch receiver a custom job or does that bumper come like that?

19. Jan 3, 2022 at 9:25 AM
    Atl-atl

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    The extra receiver mounted to the tire swing and the cutout/insert for the factory trailer wiring connections were both custom done by @snowsk8air2 We were surprised to find no provision for the factory trailer wiring. Probably because they dont have a tow rating on the bumper.

20. Jan 3, 2022 at 10:04 AM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    I dig it. Thanks for the info. Have you had any concerns w/your 1Up and 2 bikes loaded on the swing out? I'm wanting to do the same setup in time.

Products Discussed in

To Top